Car rental in Ireland?

Old Feb 6th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in Ireland?

Hi,

We will be flying into Dublin September 8th with 6 adults (50-60 yrs old). We are looking to rent a vehicle as we will be driving to our destinations. From Dublin, drive to Galway, then making our way around south and ending up in Dublin on the 15th. Suggestions for 2 mid sized vehicles rather than one large one? Has anyone had any difficulty getting a vehicle if you have a reservation?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you mean driving from DUB on the day you arrive?? Please don't . . . DUB to Galway is a three hour drive. Options are to travel to Galway by bus or train and pick up your rental there the next day - or - stay the night in Dublin and pick up the car and drive west on day 2.

Any rental office can run out of available vehicles, but your odds are much better ay an on-airport location because they have more stock. You'll probably have to rent a mini van for 6 adults plus luggage but that will be quite a squeeze.

Last edited by janisj; Feb 6th, 2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! I did not mention that first we are flying into London, staying 4 nights. From there we will train to Edinburgh and stay 3 nights. Hopefully the short flight from Edinburgh to Dublin won’t throw us too much. We are looking forward to our adventures.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 04:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh -- great -- no jet lag so driving will be fine