Day trip from Avignon?

Search

Day trip from Avignon?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2023, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Avignon?

I'll be in Avignon mid-June and in our itinerary have allocated a day trip to see some of the Luberon villages and lavender fields, as well as another day for a second day trip.

For the second day trip, I am tossing up between Nimes and Aix-en-Provence. I am torn between which to pick as I have heard good and bad things about both and only have time to visit one location.

For background, we will be travelling by train or by bus. Open to suggestions for another location as well.

Any recommendations on which to pick?
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 03:53 PM

Both would be a great day trip and Nimes would be closer as it is a short train ride. Nimes has a fabulous indoor market from Thursday until Sunday and is a really lovely town. You could visit the gardens, Maison Carree ( although there is nothing to see inside except a short film) and it is impressive from the outside. There is a couple of bars/ restaurants near the Maison Cartee and an if you sit at the one closest to it and have a glasss of wine you appreciate the size and structure. Also the amphitheater and Roman ruins.

Last edited by cheska15; Feb 6th, 2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 03:57 PM

With its colosseum and very old center, I agree with cheska. Is Arles another possibility? We loved Aix as a base, and Nimes as a day trip. Click on cheska's name to read more about Nimes.

FWIW, if you are touring the Luberon area, you could swing by Aix for dinner at Deux Garçons.

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 6th, 2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 09:26 AM

I think Aix is a bit more interesting for a first timer who has seen neither than Nimes, which I don't think is all that exciting myself. For a longer stay, sure. Nimes is really big on old Roman ruins, so if that is your thing, it is great (Maison Carree and the amphitheatre). It's not mine, I've seen so many old Roman ruins I don't care if I ever see any more. If that's a particular interest of yours, you'll love it.

However, I don't think you can get to/from Aix from Avignon without transferring in Marseille. Which would be another choice, of course, but a big city. You can easily get to/from Nimes (or Arles).

So for that reason and you want to go there, I'd say Nimes. But you just need to look at the main tourist atrtactions in each and decide which you most want to see, I think.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 08:32 PM

Hopefully you will have considered visiting Orange in your Avignon stay. Despite visiting on a rainy cold winters day we absolutely loved it. Sorry to go off track.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Will Les Deux Garçons be re-opened by Summer? It was supposed to, but anyone been there recently to know the progress?
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 10:04 AM

"Will Les Deux Garçons be re-opened by Summer?"....good question, Sassafrass.