Search

August in Italy - Itinerary help and hotel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2023, 07:53 PM
sio
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in Italy - Itinerary help and hotel recommendations

Hello, I and 2 teenage children are going to spend the first two weeks of August in Sicily and the last two on the mainland.

We are planning to fly out of Catania around mid August. Then we want to visit Florence, Milan, Lake Como and Venice over 14 nights. Our international flight will be out of Venice at the end of August, so Venice will be our last stop. Now, my question is: where should we fly to from Catania? Florence (only 1 direct flight per day, as I saw today) or Milan (a lot of flights)? Does it actually make any difference for our itinerary? In each case, in what order should we visit the above places (we will depend on public transportation)?

We have been to Italy before but this is the first time for Sicily and Lake Como. Is Varenna a good base in terms of atmosphere and transportation options?

If you have any hotel recommendations for each of these places, I will be happy to know. We will be 3 staying in one room.

Thank you.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 08:35 PM

Florence is a relatively small airport with weather issues. Won't matter during the summer but it means few airlines use it. Instead the main Tuscan airport is Pisa. It's just over an hour by train from Pisa station to Florence SMN station.

If you fly into Milan you'd end up backtracking a bit to Florence. Not a huge trip but you've got four stops in 14 days. I'd want to minimize the extra travel.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 12:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what Nick says, Pisa
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 04:50 AM

I wouldn't fly at all. I'd take a night train, with actual beds in a sleeper compartment reserved for my family, from Catania to Rome or Naples, followed by a same-station change for a high-speed Frecciarossa train to Florence. City centre to city centre, no airport transfers or luggage drop-off/pick-up, and it replaces an extra night in a hotel. You leave Catania around 8:30 PM and arrive in Florence shortly after 9 AM, or you leave at 11 PM and arrive before 11 AM. While you sleep, the train is split up, loaded on a ship, ferried across the Strait of Messina, and carried off and reassembled on the other side. (You can also board the train in Taormina or Messina, or board another sleeper train to the mainland in Palermo or Cefalů or Milazzo, so your itinerary in Sicily can be adjusted more freely.) After visiting Florence, you carry on to Milan/lake Como and Venice by train.

If you still want to fly, it might make sense to fly to Pisa or even Rome (since Fiumicino airport has a direct rail link to Termini station, from which you can get a high-speed train to central Florence). Otherwise, you could fly to Milan first, visit that and Como, then go by train to Florence and from there to Venice.

If you fly to Milan Malpensa, it might make sense to go to Como by train (change in Saronno), bypassing Milan, traveling over the lake by ferry, and then heading to Milan by rail from Varenna (or elsewhere on the eastern shore of the lake). If you are flying to "Milan" Bergamo Orio al Serio, you can get the direct train to Lecco (at the southeastern tip of lake Como), then visit the lake by train/ferry and head into Milan by train from Lecco or Como. If you are flying to Milan Linate or coming into Milan by train from Florence, you'll be heading from Milan to the lake and then back to Milan to catch a train to Venice/Florence (unless you want to visit Bergamo on the way to Venice, in which case you can go by train from lake Como to Bergamo and from Bergamo to Venice). The boat ride from Como town to the middle of lake Como (Bellagio/Varenna/Menaggio) is scenic, but the train ride along the eastern shore of the lake is also nice; you can combine both on any trip.

I've never stayed in Varenna, but it and Bellano are conveniently located, with ferry links to Como, ferry and train links to the northern lake, and train links to Lecco. Bellagio has ferries to the three tips of the lake, but no train station, so it might be less convenient, and apparently it's also more upscale and touristy.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 05:07 PM
sio
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies. I will check about those possibilities and see what works best.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI, Aug. 15th is the biggest summer holiday for Italians. Families will be on the go from the weekend before through the weekend after. It also coincides with Siena's second Palio.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 06:51 PM
sio
Original Poster

Thank you for the reminder, Jean.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:48 PM
sio
Original Poster

To fly to Florence, there is Volotea and Vueling. To fly to Pisa, there is Ryanair. Departures are around the same time of the day (Volotea and Vueling at 17:05 and Ryanair at 16:45).

Which of these is more reliable? I am concerned about cancellation and delays.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by sio
To fly to Florence, there is Volotea and Vueling. To fly to Pisa, there is Ryanair. Departures are around the same time of the day (Volotea and Vueling at 17:05 and Ryanair at 16:45).

Which of these is more reliable? I am concerned about cancellation and delays.
They're about equivalent. Personally, I had slightly better experiences with Vueling than Ryanair, but that's just me, and I still fly with Ryanair sometimes. I don't have direct experience with Volotea, but it's quite similar to Vueling (they're both Spanish low-cost airlines, and Volotea was founded by two guys that had been Vueling's CEO and general manager in the early days. Vueling today is bigger and is part of the same company as Iberia and British Airways).
I'd pick whatever was cheapest of the two flights to Florence.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 05:21 AM

Varenna is a lovely town to stay on Lake Como. It's about 5-10 minutes by ferry from Bellagio, which is the most popular town on the lake and busier than Varenna. Either town would be a great base for getting around or just relaxing and soaking up the atmosphere.

I have taken the overnight train mentioned by Brevitas, however, in the opposite direction - from Naples to Taormina/Giardini. It is really convenient. I would recommend taking it to Rome, then changing to the high speed to Florence, as B suggested. BTW, if you are going to be in Florence around the time of the Palio, as Jean mentioned, you should take a day trip to Siena on a day preceding the race. There is lots of fun and excitement in Siena in anticipation of the race and the various contrade parade around town performing. I was there one year for a destination wedding just before the July Palio and it was a memorable experience. It's best to avoid the day of the race.
Be prepared for oppressive heat in Sicily in August and be sure to take or buy sunhats and sunscreen and stay hydrated. That said, you will love it there. Have a great trip.

I am going back to Sicily in May and taking a similar route to yours but I'm winding up in Lago Maggiore (never been) and flying out of Milan.