Things To Do Southern Scotland and Northern England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently planning a trip to Scotland for this May, coming from the east coast of the U.S. We were there in 2015 and saw about half the country and want to see some of what we missed. So we've already been to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Mull, Iona, Ft. William, Oban, Inverness, Culloden, and Dundee areas. Our plan this time is to see more of the islands, plus the southern part and maybe dip into Northern England. For reference, we are 75M and 66F and have no problem renting a car and driving on the left (it was the highlight of our last trip to Scotland). We enjoy scenery and photography, short hikes, small villages, beachcombing, mountains, trees, and wildlife. We prefer B&Bs and pubs to fine dining or fancy hotels.

So we'll fly into EDI, spend a couple of days in the Orkneys, a couple of days on Lewis and Harris, and a couple of days on Skye. With the driving time from one place to another that leaves us 3 or 4 days to explore to the south. I figure a day to drive from Skye to the Glasgow area, but I'd like ideas on where to go from there. I'm considering the Galloway Forest Park or heading down to the Lake District National Park. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks.

BTW, I know not to try to drive very much after an overnight flight, and driving distances are farther than you think. I'm factoring all that into our plans.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Orkney is spectacular and TI is a pretty good guide. Are you flying in or taking the ferry? You will find some of the oldest European sites in Orkney. You'll find lots of makers have moved to Orkney so the silver, the silk, the wool pieces are special. Don't just stay on the mainland try and do a nature visit to a smaller island.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:27 PM

What about staying in Argyll for a few days rather than going down to Glasgow? It is a lesser visited area 9and yes I read you have been to Oban) with lovely lochs, and history and wildlife and walks and gardens and lots to do. visit Mull of Kintire if you are a McCartney fan maybe.
We had a wonderful holiday in a cottage on the shore of Loch Fyne, sadly no longer let for holidays, the owner retired to it a couple of years after we were there. Head back to Edinburgh through Loch Lomond and the Trossochs NP.

https://www.wildaboutargyll.co.uk/
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Orkney is spectacular and TI is a pretty good guide. Are you flying in or taking the ferry? You will find some of the oldest European sites in Orkney. You'll find lots of makers have moved to Orkney so the silver, the silk, the wool pieces are special. Don't just stay on the mainland try and do a nature visit to a smaller island.
We will be driving a rental car so we’ll be taking the ferry. I’m planning on staying either 2 or 3 nights somewhere in the Orkneys, depending on the ferry schedule. I did forget to mention that we love shopping for local crafts so I appreciate the comments about the artisans there. Might have to definitely stay 3 nights. 😁
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
What about staying in Argyll for a few days rather than going down to Glasgow? It is a lesser visited area 9and yes I read you have been to Oban) with lovely lochs, and history and wildlife and walks and gardens and lots to do. visit Mull of Kintire if you are a McCartney fan maybe.
We had a wonderful holiday in a cottage on the shore of Loch Fyne, sadly no longer let for holidays, the owner retired to it a couple of years after we were there. Head back to Edinburgh through Loch Lomond and the Trossochs NP.

https://www.wildaboutargyll.co.uk/
this sounds delightful! Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 01:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd normally recommend the Borders and Northumberland/Hadrian's Wall.

But since you'll be over on the west side and have already been to Mull -- Id recommend sticking to SW Scotland -- Arran/Ayrshire/Dumfries & Galloway and totally avoid the Lake district in May. With the May Bank Holidays the Lakes will be a total zoo.

There is waaaaay more than enough to fill 4 days in the SW. Between Arran, Robert Burns sites, Culzean, Crossraguel Abbey, Sweetheart Abbey, Threave Castle, Threave Gardens, maybe the west end of Hadrian's Wall and Lanercost Priory. I could fill a week+.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:13 PM

Orkney has a art trail and a makers fortnight when you can visit their workshops, Stromness has a major art gallery (some famous people's work is on permanent display) right in the middle of the walking area worth a visit. Kirkwell is the major town with its own distillary and cathedral. Check your car insurance allows for ferry passage, we met one couple whose insurance did not support ferry use and then they broke down...

there are very few trees on the island (benefits of people's freedom to cut without planting so they cleared most out by 1200) so nesting birds will see your car engine as a place to raise their brood, check each morning
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 07:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A short back-of-the-envelope bit of arithmetic suggests to me that you might want to think about flying from Edinburgh to Orkney and back, which might well end up being cost-competitive with driving to Caithness then ferrying over to the islands, taking into account the rental car cost, nights on the road, and the cost of the ferry itself. Loganair fly nonstop from Edinburgh to Kirkwall three times daily, and there are cars available to rent at KOI airport on arrival. But cost aside, flying would also free up several days that could be spent elsewhere.

I am personally a huge fan of the eastern Borders and north Northumberland for visits to the south of Scotland and parts of northern England, and while I agree with Janis that one could put together a very enjoyable tour of SW Scotland, especially Dumfries and Galloway - under many visitors' radar - I don't know that I'd pick them over the east side of the country.

A loop like this (quite abbreviated but could be extended in many respects) would offer a terrific sampler of some of the history and marvelous landscape of this region - https://goo.gl/maps/kabTSa7W5njME2FUA

This could be extended farther into England - down to Hadrian's Wall, for example - or westward across Scotland to the western Borders, or indeed, to Dumfires and Galloway, depending on how much time you have.

Just some suggestions for your research.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 07:26 AM

I've flown Edinburgh to Orkney, driven and then ferry, and taken the train followed by ferry. From a CO2 point of view the train/ferry option is best, from a holiday time usage the aircraft is best as long as you don't get diverted.

When landing at Kirkwall the airport is pretty close to the sea and often windy to scary so large Texan behind us, called out "great landing captain" while small son across the way shouted "that's my mum", collapse of Texan. The airport is tiny with very little to do, the hire car is a local company with no competition, but you will not be scammed. You will need a car on the island, the bus timetable is pitiful and basically does school runs and Kirkwall to Stromness and back (two routes from memory, taking in a ferry dock)

The train tends towards empty and the ferry is very much friends of the captain (we watched a Gerbil being delivered to the ship by a sad girl though accepted at the other end by happy girl). If traveling over night take a cabin, but if during the day there is no real need.

Like all small islands, everyone knows everyone so if you are not happy about something tell them.