More time in Bordeaux or Toulouse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After mulling over whether to visit Bordeaux or Toulouse while in France this June, I have fortunately been able to carve out time to visit both cities.

I am now trying to decide how to allocate my time between the two cities, and while I can find endless threads as to which city to visit, there doesn’t seem to be much input out there as to which to actually spend more time in.

I have an extra day up my sleeve to allocate to either city – I anticipate if the extra day is allocated to Bordeaux, I would use it to visit Saint Emilion and some wineries there, whereas if the extra day is allocated to Toulouse, I will likely use it to visit Albi for the day from Toulouse.

For those who have visited both, which would you suggest spending more time in?
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like we spent 4 days/3 nts in each. Tough call, but I'll list what we did in each, upon reflection, more to see/do in Bordeaux. Loved both cities, and the vineyards were high on our list. Rented car in Bordeaux (were travelling from Paris) and kept it through Dordogne and Provence.

Bordeaux:
Walk "Golden Triangle" area (best area to stay), Aquitaine Museum, tour Mouton Rothschild in Paulliac (resv), tour Margaux (resv), St. Emilon (on way to Sarlat). The trip to the premier cru vineyards took one whole day, going up one route and down another thru Medoc to Bordeaux. The Aquitaine is arranged chronologically, highly recommend it and others in this neighborhood (Beaux Arts). City du Vin was not yet completed along the river, but walking along there was also a half-day activity. St. Emilon is a pretty ride, and busy town, but lovely, takes great part of day.

Albi: Cathedral, and Lautrec Musee, very picturesque on river
Toulouse: City Sq Market, Domican Les Jacobins, Lunch at Fondation Bemberg, Canal du Midi
Continued to Carcassonne in morning where we had lunch, would also recommend this site.