Alaska cruise: Insurance and Excursions?

Old Jan 28th, 2023, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska cruise: Insurance and Excursions?

My husband and I are doing a land and sea Alaskan cruise in July to celebrate our 50th. I have several questions. I have been looking into travel insurance and it is very expensive. I’ve look at a number of sites and some are over $1000. Do you have any recommendations? Have you used the cruise line insurance?
also, what excursions do you think are don’t miss? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 12:54 PM
Forum Moderator

moved to Cruises Forum and modified title slighty
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by rrobinson51
My husband and I are doing a land and sea Alaskan cruise in July to celebrate our 50th. I have several questions. I have been looking into travel insurance and it is very expensive. I’ve look at a number of sites and some are over $1000. Do you have any recommendations? Have you used the cruise line insurance?
also, what excursions do you think are don’t miss? Any thoughts are appreciated.
personally, the best part of Alaska I think are the cruise excursions. Ask for what it’s not to miss My opinion is you should look at what is offered and pick with appeals to you at the most. What you would do and what others two are different or maybe different.

as for insurance, the older you are and I am in the same category then you are the more that costs. Congratulations on your 50th by the way

Did you use a travel agent? Can the travel agent if you use one help you?

in the past, we have used travel guard, American Express and Allianz. Have you tried to call them?

I could supply the name of my travel agent if you like. She may be able to help you, though. At this point I think the cost for travel insurance will be kind of high. 1k seems a bit much. Anyway, I think it’s a good idea to get it and travel with peace of mind. Alaska is beautiful!

Last edited by jacketwatch; Jan 28th, 2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated, the cost of travel insurance goes up as we age.
Don't use the cruise line's insurance.....remember they favor the cruise line.
We use Allianz.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 09:19 AM

What are you are insuring for? The cost of the cruise? Trip interruption? Onboard medical treatment? Evacuation coverage? As you will mostly be in Alaska, (with maybe a day or two in Canada) your Medicare should cover emergency medical on land.

For over 70s also look at SevenCorners which you can customize.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Great thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 01:41 AM

Happy 50th anniversary
My parents did an Alaskan cruise a few years ago and came home raving about it. The excursion they recommend to friends is dog sledding. If it interests you, be sure to book the earliest option in the morning because the weather can change, and later bookings are often canceled. My parents were lucky and got to enjoy the experience, and then they got stuck for a couple of extra hours, so they were allowed to play with some husky puppies. My mom said they checked her coat on the way out to make sure she didn't take one with her. hehe

As for travel insurance, I recommend Faye. There is an app where you can talk to the support team directly 24/7 and file claims there if needed. It simplifies everything. The website is www.withfaye.com.

I hope that helps! Enjoy your trip
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 04:50 PM

In Skagway we liked the White Pass Railroad. In Juneau you might go to the Mendenhall Glacier. In Ketchikan the Lumberjack show is fun and the totem poles interesting. If you go to Icy Strait Point, try whale watching
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your recommendations!
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 04:41 AM

Ketchikan: https://www.islandwings.com/mistytours
Juneau:https://www.harvandmarvs-juneau-whale-watching.com
These excursions were outstanding.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Happy 50th!! If you charged your cruise on a credit card it may offer some travel insurance but could be limited coverage, so read the small print. You definitely need to obtain travel insurance. Think what would happen if you have to cancel your trip because you or your husband get sick at the last minute and need to cancel. That would be a huge loss. Look into Squaremouth or Insure my trip websites. They offer the same policies and you can compare policies based on what is important to you and limits offered.. You only need to insure the amount that is non-refundable or cancelable. Have a great trip!!
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4holdings
Happy 50th!! If you charged your cruise on a credit card it may offer some travel insurance but could be limited coverage, so read the small print. You definitely need to obtain travel insurance. Think what would happen if you have to cancel your trip because you or your husband get sick at the last minute and need to cancel. That would be a huge loss. Look into Squaremouth or Insure my trip websites. They offer the same policies and you can compare policies based on what is important to you and limits offered.. You only need to insure the amount that is non-refundable or cancelable. Have a great trip!!
Thank you!!