Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam: Pre River Cruise hotel and transport?

Old Jan 28th, 2023, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than book thru the cruise company for a few days in Amsterdam before departing on the cruise, I am thinking of independently booking a hotel. So any recommendations on a centrally located hotel? I'd also like to find out how far from the hotel area it would be take a taxi to the river the day of departure and the approximate cost.

I also would like to know what the transportation options and cost would be from the airport to a centrally located hotel upon arrival. Any info is appreciated.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 10:33 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe Forum, modified title to reflect topic, and tagged for Netherlands
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 10:50 PM

You have said nothing about facilities and price. Look at Booking.com loads of filters to use read the reviews more than you will get on here.
Getting from the airport to the hotel is on the airport website
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/tran...from-schiphol/
prices do variety for a taxi.
Have you also searched this forum? This subject has been discussed a number of times before
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 04:45 AM

Do you know exactly where you cruise departs from? If it is the PTA consider staying at the Movenpick next door and walking/taking the bus/tram into the centre. It is a modern hotel it's true but it has lifts, and really is well situated If your cruise leaves from the PTA
You can get a train direct from Schiphol to Amsterdam and the Movenpick is only a short walk from the station. Much much cheaper than a taxi €4.90 pp instead of €45-65 for a taxi).
You no longer need to buy tickets for the trains and other public transport but can use your contactless credit/bank card to pay, check in and out with it. See my other thread on public transport in the Netherlands. (click on my username to find it or on Netherlands in the dropdown menu).
Amsterdam isn't huge and is easy to walk around.