Hotels in Florence or Lucca or Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to secure a villa in Italy, near Florence, for 17 family members but we have not had any luck.

So, Plan B is a great hotel in Florence. The question is, which one. I have not been there in many years. We want to be near all attractions, VERY NICE but not the Ritz, a pool if that exists, and easy access to restaurants and sights.

Plan C would be Lucca or Siena. Most of the travelers have never been to Italy so almost any one of these places would be acceptable.

Suggestions appreciated
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice but not the Ritz. What does that mean in dollars or euros? Are you looking for just several double rooms or do you need some family rooms also?

Florence is small. Almost any hotel in Florence is near attractions and restaurants. You can search Florence hotels with pools on booking.com.

Staying in Lucca or even Siena v. Florence would be a very different experience. Not bad/negative, but different. What is the group's level of interest in the Renaissance treasures of Florence?
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 04:01 PM

When is the trip? How many nights? Will you be traveling to other places before or after? Ages of travelers? How many bedrooms needed? Special interests? What do individuals want to do while there? Wine tastings, sightseeing of places like Siena, art museums, hiking, etc.? Do you want to eat in together, cook or are restaurants OK? Will you have cars or use trains, busses, etc.to get around?
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 04:17 PM

Perhaps rather than a Villa, a resort that has several separate accommodations.
Just one example.
https://www.monsignordellacasa.com/c...apartment.html

I would not hesitate to stay in or near Lucca as there is good train service. However, there are options near Siena and it is beautiful, so would not discount that either? Contact some of the holiday apartment managing companies and they can surely find two or three apartments close together and be familiar with what is available.

https://www.holidu.com/d/43543446?ad...S&currency=USD

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jan 27th, 2023 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 05:25 PM

This writer offers lists of hotels, castles, etc. that might work for you. Look into Fiesole area https://castle-hotels-guide.com/fiesole/
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 05:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For villas check with Karin Dietz atChiantidash and dash more. The properties they list are not listed elsewhere. Top service. Based in Psnzano, covers Chianti and Florence.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 02:44 AM

We enjoyed the Palazzo Ravizza in Siena but I think you should be able to find something in or near Florence. I am sorry but I don't have a good suggestion for Florence but hope the comments from others here will help.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 03:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have you tried https://www.agriturismo.it/ ?

sassafrass's questions are worth answering
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Not the Ritz meaning I don't want to pay $1,000 per night. Insofar as which city to stay in I happen toknow that Florence has a lot to see and it is walkable which I like.
I really want suggestions on hotels, albeit I looked on Booking but I want a personal suggestion. Also, one with a large gathering place like a loggia where we could all do our own things during the day but have a place to hang out at night to discuss our day.

Regarding Lucca or Sienna, I mentioned that because I understand that both are beautiful so suggestions as to what they may offer versus Florence would also be appreciated.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

We have no dates but July or August or late June. Probably a week. For most, no other places after this week. All adults 50's and two 6 and 8 year olds. Probably 7 bedrooms. No really specific interests but they love to eat, cook, drink wine. Definitely no car, hopefully buses or something like Viator who comes and picks you up at hotel and takes you sightseeing. We are VERY flexible because most have never been there so everything and anything would be fun. We are all family so that helps too.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

ok
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 02:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Without a clue as to what you really want to pay, look at the Grand Hotel Minerva and the Kraft Hotel, both in Florence. Both have pools and will probably be closer to $1000 than $0 around Ferragosto week (see below) and likely lower after Ferragosto.

One disadvantage of a villa is that the rooms will not all be equivalent or perhaps even comparable. How will you deal with the disparities? Staying in a villa without cars would mean lots of planning and pre-booking or a very wing-it attitude by everyone. For example, you'd need multiple taxis (4-5?) to go anywhere. If you cook in the villa most nights, you'll need close access to groceries, either weekly markets or a Coop/supermarket. Some villas might offer a cook/chef for a charge. If you find a villa, make sure there's air conditioning. It's gonna be hot and humid.

Dinner reservations in cities/towns will be difficult unless you split up.

I few dates to keep in mind:

August 15th is the biggest summer holiday for Italians. Ferragosto (aka Assumption Day). It's a Tuesday this year. Italian families will be on the move from Aug. 10/11 through about Aug. 20. Hotels and villas during that time could be hard to find and expensive.

There are two palio races in Siena every year. Festivities will start on June 27th and continue through the first race on July 2nd. The festivities for the second race will begin on Aug. 13, and the race is on Aug. 16. Note that this overlaps Ferragosto week which will make Siena and the surrounding area extremely busy at that time.
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 08:12 AM

Hotel David in Florence is lovely but probably full; there's a palazzo next door where they divert people that is lovely and may have enough rooms. Worth a look, though these are Oltrarno, across the river, and a bit more local.

Relais Villa L'Olmo might be able to accommodate you -- worth a look. In Impruneta, a small town outside Florence.

Paola deJulius is knowledgeable and likely very able to help you -- we've been to terrific places through her. https://www.facebook.com/yourtuscanyconsultant

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 11:43 AM

Rooms Hotel Villa Olmi Firenze

Maybe this would fit the bill? It's 4 km outside of Florence but they run a shuttle and we found taxis to not be terribly expensive, there might be a bus service too but I am not sure about that.
We had a lovely stay here, there is a pool and areas where you could sit around and visit at the end of your day.
They have free parking if you did decide to rent vehicles. We did dine at a couple of good restaurants in the village itself.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Will check it out. The palazzo next door, would you know the name so I could look it up?
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 08:28 AM

I'm not sure which palazzo you are talking about but the hotel itself has a villa called Colonica which is listed in the website- it looks like it may fit your party.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 11:06 PM

If you mean the palazzo next to Hotel David, not sure (we had messed up our reservation and they very kindly set us up with the neighboring palazzo). You might consider checking the dates with Hotel David reception and if they are full, ask them for the name of the palazzo next door where they arranged out stay.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Yes, thank you. That's the Palazzo next door I was asking about.