3 days in Umbria

Search

3 days in Umbria

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2023, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Umbria

We will have three days to spend in Umbria. What villages, villas, gardens, churches do you recommend? What spot would be a good base camp for those days? Thanks.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Here's my TR from that area for ideas, but do a search on Fodors (and online) as well to see what interests you.

Perugia and Rome by train and bus
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year? Will you have a car? It might help to know where you'd be coming from and where you'll go after Umbria...

Three days isn't much time, and you'll have to be very selective in your sightseeing. (Umbria encompasses more than 3,000 sq. mi.) Definitely group sights/places by geography and then see if maybe, maybe there's a town that would be a realistic distance from what you want to do. Umbria isn't really known for historic villas and gardens.

My favorite sightseeing in Umbria might not be your favorites but, while I'd prioritize a bit differently, I generally agree with this list. FWIW, I really like Umbria.

https://www.touropia.com/best-places...-umbria-italy/
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for for all of your replies. We will have a car the entire trip except for our three nights in Florence. We will work our way down to Umbria from Florence perhaps making a couple of stops in Tuscany along the journey.. The Umbria adventure can be as much as four nights if we identify enough of interest. We will be returning to Florence after Umbria via one night in Greve-in-Chianti. The date range for Umbria would be approximately April 19 to 22. A day could be added to that perhaps. Although we spend six days in Tuscany eight years ago, we did not make it to Cortona. We also spent almost no time in Pienza/Montalcina area back then either and maybe we don't need to. We like villas, gardens, villages, castles, and significant churches like the St' Francis in Assisi is a must for us. Thank you for any additional suggestions you care to offer.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're not spending 4 nights in Umbria, you don't really have 3 days in the region. You'd have 2 full days and some hours in the days before/after. If you have to rent the car in Florence the morning you leave for Umbria, that partial day will be squeezed by those logistics. Likewise, returning the car has logistical issues. If you return at the airport, a bit more driving time but the offices are open (last time I checked) until midnight. If you return the car IN Florence, you'd need to arrive before the offices close which could shorten your day a little.

[If you're going to have a car EXCEPT for 3 nights in Florence, could you re-order the itinerary to keep a single car rental and put Florence at the end?]

I myself wouldn't prioritize Cortona higher than nearby Lake Trasimeno. Cortona is a nice enough town, but there are lovely towns all over the place. Some of the towns in the Trasimeno area are known/famous for their handicrafts which (for me anyway) adds a layer of interest that Cortona lacks.

As Assisi is apparently #1 on your list, I'd head there first. Florence to Assisi with no stops would take 2+ hours on the autostrada and main highway. I prefer driving secondary roads when possible which would make the drive more scenic and interesting (IMO) but take 3.5+ hours. If you stayed in or near Assisi, you could easily reach the towns/places on most visitors' lists for Umbria.

If you want to spend more time in the Val d'Orcia area (Montepulciano, Pienza, Quirico, Montalcino), I'd plan another trip or see that area on this trip and skip Umbria. Your call. Not counting any stops, Assisi to either Orvieto or Montepulciano would take 90 minutes and then it's 90+ minutes from, say, Montalcino to Greve... a nice drive overall. (Stop at Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore if possible.) If you went directly from Assisi to Greve, it would take about 2.5 hours and would be mostly a backtrack of your route from Florence to Assisi.

If this is your first time driving in Italy, be sure you learn about ZTLs (limited traffic zones) and how to avoid them. You will encounter ZTLs everywhere you go.

https://mominitaly.com/ztl-in-italy/