Mexico for Christmas/New Years

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico for Christmas/New Years

Hi all,

I am planning a 7-10 day trip for Christmas - New Year 2023. My husband and I are in our early 60s, and we will take our three kids in their 20s and their significant others. Lisbon, Madrid and Sevilla/Malaga are all on my list to consider but BOY, those places are a long way from Los Angeles just for a week, and the weather is 50s and 60s.

We don't move around a lot, if at all. We like to visit important historical sights, art, pedestrian old towns, outdoor cafes to sit and people watch, shop the local markets...

I think Mexico City might be a good place for this group. Or perhaps split the week between 4 nights in Mexico City and 4 nights at a beach resort.. My 23-year old spent a week in Sayulita and loved it.

I would love any thoughts!

Thank you!
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Your plan makes a lot of sense to me. Three full days in Mexico City is just enough time to see several of the most important sights there. And, there are lots of domestic flights connecting Mexico City to beach destinations. Two cautions:

(1) The Christmas holidays are, after Easter/Holy Week,Mexican domestic tourism's busiest period. Many families travel to beach resorts then. Expect to encounter jubilant crowds, not solitude, beside the sea at that time. So arrange for both your group's flights to the beach and also your beach community accommodations at least several months prior to the trip.

(2) Traveling to Mexico can be addictive. Having experienced a little bit of what Mexico City and its surrounding region offers, you and your adult children will probably want to return there again.

Last edited by chrisdaniel0933; Jan 27th, 2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Chris is spot on about the holiday season being very busy. Especially places within driving distance from big cities. Like Mexico City & Acapulco and Guadalajara & the Puerto Vallarta area which would include Sayulita. For a beach resort area, I'd suggest investigating somewhere a bit more remote like Huatulco.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks both!

In looking at AirBnBs in Sayulita, many of them have drivers to and from the airport -- which makes it easy -- so we would possibly fly LAX - Mexico City - Puerto Vallarta - LAX.

A friend suggested Punta Mita. I'd love any feedback.

Old Jan 27th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
When investigating Sayulita, be aware that there has been problems with raw sewage being dumped in the ocean. Supposedly that's been fixed, but it wouldn't be a stretch to think that during peak pooping times (such as around Christmas) that the treatment plant could get overwhelmed. If it's my trip, im staying as far away from PV proper as possible.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Oh goodness! I'll look into it.

Ideally, I don't want to fly between the two destinations but know this itinerary requires a short flight between PV and Mexico City. Maybe we just go to Mexico City. We love art, good food, markets.... it seems like we could spend 4 days / 5 nights there pretty easily.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 04:27 PM

"Maybe we just go to Mexico City. We love art, good food, markets.... it seems like we could spend 4 days / 5 nights there pretty easily."

Don't worry about running out of things to experience in Mexico City. You, or any other curious person, could spend months exploring that metropolis without exhausting all of its possibilities.

But, besides being humongous, Cd Mex, can be a bit frantic at times, with crowds and lots of traffic. So, in addition to experiencing 'big city time'. many people who live there (and some repeat visitors like me) sometimes de-stress by taking multi-day side trips to less busy places such as smaller cities (Puebla, for example) , attractive small towns (Chignahuapan, Malinalco, or intensely Native-American Cuetzalan), or forested settings like sanctuaries for wintering monarch butterflies. Located between two hours and five hours travel from Mexico City, such places can be reached, via excellent public transportation, tours, or private car journeys.

As a substitute for going to the beach, I enjoy spending time at inland bathing resorts in Mexico, especially those fed by soothing thermal water springs. The town of Chignahuapan, located north of the City of Puebla, has a thermal waters 'balneario", a waterfall, and other attractions. The town of Ixtapan de la Sal also has thermal water and cool water attractions. It's located west of Mexico City, not far from Malinalco.

It's been my personal experience that aquatic destinations in Mexico, whether water parks, thermal water resorts, or coastal beaches receive lots of Mexican visitors on weekends and during holiday periods. I've observed that happening starting on December 21st or 22nd, with the crowds not thinning out until January 1st or 2nd.

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been in Puerto Vallarta over Christmas (and almost every other months of the year, 30+ trips). It was lovely in December. Great weather. And certainly a lot easier from Los Angeles than going to Europe! Same airport (PVR) would be used for Punta Mita or Sayulita.

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 08:16 PM

I would just stay in Mexico City with a possible side trip. I really liked Puebla (2 hours by bus, less by shuttle or towncar). Sounds like your interests fit CDMX/Puebla far more than Puerto Vallarta.

Checking in from Puebla

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 31st, 2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2023, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Yes, agree that Mexico City seems to offer what we like to do:

Artisan Mercado, museums, parks, a historical walking tour, Templo Mayor -- is Bosque de Chapultepec open? I read on their website that they are still closed because of Covid.

We aren't really beach people (haha although I grew up in Boca Raton, spent my 20s in Miami and now live near Malibu.) I guess we have plenty of beach opportunities in CA and FL so we really look to travel for culture, art, good food and history.

What neighborhoods do you suggest? Perhaps we look at a B&B or Inn instead of 3- or 4-bedroom apartment. How do we get around the city -- ubers and taxis?

Old Feb 6th, 2023, 09:20 AM

I liked Roma but was not staying with a big group and had a well-located basic hotel (Stanza). When doing research noticed plenty of Airbnb/apartment options.
Definitely Uber over taxis. I also walked a lot, and used public transportation although it took me a while to figure out how to buy the card.
If you plan to go to the Blue House (Frida Kahlo) be sure to book online in advance.
https://www.boletosfridakahlo.org/
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:41 AM

Condessa is also recommended and is closer to the Archeology museum, whereas Roma is a bit closer to the center. But either one would work I think.
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Looks like The Red Tree House is not really in Condesa or Roma Norte, right?

What about Polanco? Are there any cute B&B's over there?
Old Feb 9th, 2023, 02:43 PM

As far as I know, that is considered Condesa. Google Maps more or less has the neighborhood names shown.

If you are not familiar with the little man that can walk down streets in Google Maps, it's good for getting a sidewalk level feeling for any address you are considering.