Day trip to Alhambra

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Alhambra

Wondering if it will be feasible to do a day trip from Seville to Granada/Alhambra or if we should plan to stay there. We are spending 9 full days (not including inbound and outbound travel time) in Spain. Rough itinerary below - Other suggestions also welcome
Day 1-3 : Barcelona
Day 4 - mostly travel time from Barcelona to Seville
Day 5 -6 - Seville
Day 7 - Seville/traveling to Madrid
Day 8 -9 : : Madrid
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 11:16 PM

A day trip isn’t feasible because it is a 3-hour one way ride by bus, train or car. In your very short time frame I think you don’t have time to spend the night without giving Sevilla shorter shrift. But if you feel you really need to fit Granada in, there is a high-speed train from Granada to Madrid that takes 3 hours. See renfe.com

The Barcelona-Sevilla train ride is a long one, so some visitors choose to fly, just so that you know.

With only 9 days, I would be very, very tempted to limit your visit to Andalucía, to the Golden Triangle of Al-Andalus: Cordoba, Sevilla, Granada…..and leave Barcelona for a future trip.
Many here feel that Barcelona deserves 4 nights minimum; you may prefer a faster travel pace or your vacation time is limited. But I suspect that you may have already purchased your airfare?
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:03 AM
mjs

I have driven Seville to Granada in one day with return although we had more daylight than you have and it was a long time ago. The drive is quite easy once you get out of Seville and that was before we had GPS. The problem I have with your trip is that you are giving both Barcelona and Madrid less time than I think you need and one day is not enough for Seville if you go to Grenada. I think I would do just Barcelona and Madrid with 9 full days with some day trips, particularly out of Madrid. Leave Andalucia for another time to visit Seville, Cordoba, Grenada, Rhonda, the White towns etc. if you have not bought your tickets a combination of Madrid and Andalucia could work nicely as Maribel suggests.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:36 AM

Mjs has another good option for you, just Barcelona and Madrid, if you have already purchased an open jaw ticket, in to Barcelona and out of Madrid. For 9 days, this would work better.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 12:48 AM

I agree with others (personally, I'd drop Barcelona) but if you decide to stick with your current plan then the Alcazar in Seville is pretty special too. Perhaps not as beautiful as the Alhambra but still wonderful, and there are other Moorish style homes in Seville well worth visiting. I could easily spend much longer in Seville and I loved Cordoba too.
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Maribel
Mjs has another good option for you, just Barcelona and Madrid, if you have already purchased an open jaw ticket, in to Barcelona and out of Madrid. For 9 days, this would work better.
+1