Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommended 1-day cooking classes in Provence and Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2023, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi! We're in the planning phases for a September/October trip to France and Italy (first time for both countries) for myself and my 15 year old daughter. While I'll be sure to see some of the things I've always wanted to, she tells me she really isn't driven by sightseeing - she's going for the food and wants to try everything she can. Which sounds pretty good to me too.

Neither of us are aiming to become chefs but we do enjoy going to the occasional informal cooking class together.

The prospect of a good one day, English language cooking class might tip the scales on where to go, so any recommendations appreciated. A course featuring the authentic regional cuisine of that area is preferred. (We're already going to try our hands at pastry while in Paris)

I'll probably be back asking about simple bistros (we don't enjoy "fancy" or upscale) at some point so we can have a go at great examples of the frog legs and escargot on her list.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 08:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For Tuscany, you'll probably need to narrow down location to get any suggestions as it's a big region. Florence and Siena are in Tuscany as are dozens of hill towns.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KY. I guess I was almost planning to narrow down a stop based around a class, but they may be so ubiquitous as to not need to.

update - we've pretty much eliminated Provence as part of the trip at this point in order to simply logistics and not spread our time too thinly.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to recommend https://en.julskitchen.com.. I have listened to her podcasts and follow her on Instagram. I would love to take her class. Have a great time in Italy.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Paqno! Her setting looks like a really relaxing place to cook and it doesn't seem like she'd be out of our way at all. I'll have to hunt up a few of those podcasts and have a listen.
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 04:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I just checked out her website and it’s wonderful! Thanks, paqngo for the link!
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CounterClifton- I hope you get to go. She seems like an amazing woman. I just pre ordered her cookbook.

HappyTrvlr- Your welcome🙂
Old Jan 29th, 2023, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Bad luck! Appears Jules does regular classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays... except for the one week in September we'll be in the area. I've followed her on socials and will listen to the pod casts though.