Logistics-flying out of FCO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of logistical questions regarding an upcoming trip to Italy, and I'm hoping for some clarity and insight into our flights home.

First question-The first leg of my journey home departs FCO at 8:25 AM (connecting in Munich). Does anyone have a reliable shuttle service they recommend who could accommodate a family of 5, plus luggage for an early morning departure?

​​​​​​Secondly-I'm planning on giving us 3 hours before our flight. Will this give us enough breathing room?

Finally-We only have an hour and a half layover in Munich. Is this enough time to connect to a trans-Atlantic flight? I saw that we'll have to clear passport control, but will we also need to collect bags and go back through security (like we have to upon landing in US)?
​​​​​​
Thanks in advance!
​​​
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 06:51 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are t you staying the night before you leave? Out near FCO I hope. Most hotels there have shuttles.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 07:12 PM
mjs

Are your flights on one ticket?
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 07:14 PM

You don't need three hours for a flight to Germany. The guidance is two hours which normally is more than enough .

You don't gain much being near the airport. You could even take the train from Termini and be at the airport just fine. With a group of five a transfer is going to be not much more money but getting to the airport from the city centre isn't challenging.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 02:20 AM
J62

If you are staying at a hotel then arrange a shuttle or large taxi through them.

As for transfer in Munich, assuming both your flights are on same ticket, or airline (eg Lufthansa), or alliance (Star Alliance), then your bags will be checked all the way to your destination. You will need to pass through emigration, but not security. You have plenty of time.

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 03:27 AM

https://www.munich-airport.com/conne...flights-260553

You will go through passport control as it is your point of exit from Schengen and you may go through security again for a US flight.
Luggage on a single ticket will be checked through.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
You don't need three hours for a flight to Germany. The guidance is two hours which normally is more than enough
Thanks, that's reassuring. If we catch the first train from Termini, we would arrive at the airport just after 6, which would put us right at the 2 hour mark, so I guess something to consider.

To answer a couple of the other questions others posed, yes our flights are booked through on the same ticket, so I'm glad we won't have to see our bags until we're stateside.

We aren't planning on staying near FCO the night prior. I had looked at it when we booked our flights, but I was trying to avoid missing our last evening in central Rome if possible.

Someone suggested booking a shuttle based on the hotel's recommendation. We're staying at an Air BnB, but I'll reach out to the host for suggestions.

Are there any shuttle companies we should consider or avoid if we go that route vs the Leonardo Express?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 11:52 AM

We've had good luck with RomeCabs.
Just tell them what time you want to arrive at FCO, they'll know what the pick up time should be.

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 12:04 PM

Good decision to stay in Rome for your last night instead of near the airport. Why give up an evening in Rome?
airport shuttle rome | Airport Shuttle Rome, Civitavecchia transfer Cruise port, Fiumicino, Ciampino is a good one for getting to the airport. They will generally pick you up 1/2 hour before you need to be there. Your flight time is a couple of hours later than the earliest I've taken out of Rome!
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used Rome Cabs (mentioned above) and Rome Shuttle Limousine many times. This past summer I had a very early flight out of FCO and booked with RSL--easy and reliable.

https://www.romecabs.com/
https://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/

Have also used the FreeNow Rome taxi app - https://www.free-now.com/ie/taxi-roma/
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alandavid
We've had good luck with RomeCabs.
Just tell them what time you want to arrive at FCO, they'll know what the pick up time should be.
Thanks for the suggestion!