Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2023, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. We'll make it work! W
Old May 21st, 2023, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm sure we will find something that works for restaurants. I was just curious if anybody had specific recommendations. Thank you for yours.

According to Mapquest, the fastest route is via I-15 and UT-24, 3hr 17min222mi. Does that make sense? Is there a more scenic route?

And from Capital Reef Resort to the View Hotel in Monument Valley: via UT-95 and UT-24, 3hr 51min 204mi

And from the View Hotel to Moab (Worldmark Condo's): via US-191, 2hr 57min 157mi

Does that make sense? Thanks, W
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:39 AM

You're staying at the Worldmark in Moab? We were just there in October. They have some very nice bbq grills (gas, built-ins) down in the common area. We cooked steaks. As far as restaurants, I've never been all that impressed with the dining options in Moab, but there is a couple decent diners on the south side of town for breakfast (one has bacon pancakes), as well as a Mexican eatery in the same area. The Worldmark has a small restaurant, and we enjoyed a light meal on the terrace there our first night.

Enjoy,.
Old May 21st, 2023, 08:56 AM

Sadly, it looks like the Capital Reef Inn Cafe is permanently closed, at least according to Google Maps.
I might give the Torrey Grill/BBQ a go.

https://www.torreygrillandbbq.com/our-menu/
Old May 22nd, 2023, 05:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There's also a food truck park in Moab. We had good tacos there once.

https://www.moabfoodpark.com/
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi. How was the Worldmark in Moab? We are staying there for 4 nights.

Thanks, W
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi. We are starting to hear weather advisories regarding the smoke from the wild fires. Should we have any concerns in Capital Reef, Monument Valley, Arches, and Canyonlands?

Thanks, W
Old May 22nd, 2023, 06:35 AM

Are you looking at outdated websites?

Old May 22nd, 2023, 10:33 AM

The WorldMark is quite nice. It's new, as I'm sure you know. We were only there for 2 nights on a road trip, staying in a studio-style room with a murphy bed. Even so, we enjoyed it. If you are in a larger unit, you will really enjoy. Our balcony looked down on the common area (right near those grills). It's on the north edge of town, very near Arches. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

On our previous visits, we've stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge, which is about 20 minutes drive out of town along the Colorado River. Hugely scenic, and rather secluded. So the WorldMark's location and ambiance is quite a change. Both are nice.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 11:53 AM

Are you looking at outdated websites?

The smoke here in CO is terrible thanks to the fires currently burning in Canada. I assume it's pretty bad in Utah too.

https://www.axios.com/2023/05/21/can...lity-us-states
Old May 25th, 2023, 05:31 AM

Over the next few days they're supposed to get some significant rainfall up north so hopefully that will cause the smoke to subside soon.

Originally Posted by WarrenWST
Where to stop for groceries between Salt Lake City and Capital Reef resort for food, water and beer?
Probably best to buy your groceries before you leave the SLC / Provo metro area. There are many options just off I-15.

Also, note that beer at the grocery / convenience store can only have an ABV of 5% or less. If you want anything greater (such as most non-lagers and craft beers) you'll need to find a liquor store.
Old May 26th, 2023, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info regarding the wildfires and the shopping. It makes sense to find a grocery store or something similar to one as close to the airport as possible before the long journey to Capital Reef. That's good to know about the beer. I did read that before but forgot. We'll make due.

Thanks again, W
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Just returned and wanted you all to know that we had an amazing time! Beautiful scenery, great food and drink, and especially friendly people.

Everything went as planned and we were very happy with the itinerary. All the places we stayed were wonderful offering great locations, fantastic views from our balconies, and excellent food choices.

Flew into SLC, picked up car rental from Fox. Fox is offsite so need to take shuttle but well worth it based on their prices compared to others. Went to Smith’s grocery market (1 mi away) and picked up all food and beverages. Drive to Capital Reef Resort was long (3hrs 45min’s) but we stopped along the way for take out coffee and enjoyed the scenery,

Capital Reef Park was wonderful. Did several hikes including the Capital Gorge and Grand Wash canyon trails as well as the Hickman bridge trail. Highly recommend all. Ate at the Rim Rock patio and La Cueva,

On day 3 we did another long drive to Monument Valley. (approx. 3 hrs). Similarly, the scenery was well worth it. Stayed at the View hotel. Did a 4-mile hike around several monuments. It was extremely hot that day but again the scenery was well worth it. This was my wife's favorite spot.

Next day we headed to Moab and took the advice to stop at Canyonlands Needle district on the way. Did various hikes and then went to the Moab Worldmark resort in Moab. The total drive was approx. 2.5 hours. The Worldmark as noted by others is new and has a great pool.

Over the next several days we went to Arches NP (my favorite!), Canyonlands – Isle in the Sky District, and Dead Horse Point State Park. In Arches alone we did 10+ miles of hiking. I think we basically saw almost every arch! Dead Horse offers a wonderful 5-mile rim hike which was just right for us since we also wanted to enjoy the pool at the resort. For a special treat we went to the Sorrel River Ranch for dinner one night and had their rainbow trout and chicken. Also had dinners at the Moab brewery, Zax, and Trailhead. Tried a little bit of everything.

Finally, we made the long drive 3 hours 45 mins to the Courtyard Marriott at SLC airport. Nice place; not far from downtown. Decided to return the SUV a day early and uber into town for diner. I had made reservations for the Copper Onion. Another highly recommended place,

As mentioned, it was a wonderful trip. Sad that it goes by so fast but the memories will be there forever. Thank you all once again for all your help.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 07:37 AM

Thanks for reporting back; glad to hear you had a good time.

I've been wanting to take that rim trail hike at Dead Horse, but we keep missing it - we usually visit Utah in January, and weather can be hit and miss. It's still on my list though...maybe the fourth time will be the charm.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 02:39 AM

Sounds like a fantastic trip. We love the area too and the drives between sites have such beautiful scenery that we just consider them part of the fun.

Thanks for reporting back and for the kind words about the advice you got here.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Honestly, I have come to depend on your advice and so happy that you provide it.
W
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 08:02 AM

Thanks for the detailed report back. I've also started using Fox as well, despite the sometimes long wait for picking up the vehicle (not sure if that is universal these days).