Ho Chi Min City Hotels 2023

Old Jan 20th, 2023, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ho Chi Min City Hotels 2023

Hi.

We are researching where to stay for three nights at the 5 star end of the market. In Hanoi we have previously enjoyed La Siesta Hang Be (and previously Diamond Siesta) and more recently Sinfonia del Rey.
The hotel market in Ho Chi Min City seems rather different. There we are probably attracted to one of the larger 5 star hotels on or close to the River.

Reverie seems "over the top". Maybe the Rennaissance, Sofitel, Meridien, Majestic ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Thank you
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 02:09 AM

We stayed at La Siesta Hang be a couple of months ago on our way back from Sydney to London. Nice hotel though very different from the ones you are considering in HCMC. you are right that the hotel scene in HCMC is very different from Hanoi.

Over the years we have stayed in quite a few places in Saigon,most recently in a friends homestay in D3. Of those you mention we have stayed in the Sofitel and the Majestic. The Club rooms in the Sofitel were very nice but it is still a big chain hotel and gets lots of tour groups. The Majestic has a lot of history and is in a good location. The Rex is similar and another I would consider. The Caravelle is another with a lot of history though it has morphed into a modern chain like hotel, nice location near the Opera House though and their rooftop Saigon, Saigon bar is a favourite for sundowners.

A great option for rooms and the hotel itself is the Pullman Saigon Centre though we found we were always getting taxis - ergo not especially convenient.

One of our favourites is the Hotel des Arts Saigon MCGallery , away from the river but very stylish and great service - book online on the Accor website , join their loyalty programme and get discounts and points (same applies to Pullman and Sofitel)
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
We will be in Saigon February 15 for four nights (providing they approve our visas in time) and are booked at Hotel des Arts Saigon MCGallery. While I haven't stayed there before (I think we were at the Omni in 2000 when last there) it looks fabulous. I opted to stay on the club floor to get the extras. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 08:51 PM

Good choice! I am very envious! Stayed in a few Mc Galleries around the word and have always enjoyed them. A little different to the usual 5* properties.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Good choice! I am very envious! Stayed in a few Mc Galleries around the word and have always enjoyed them. A little different to the usual 5* properties.
We're also staying at an MGallery in Hoi An for three nights, also on their club floor. Both hotels look really nice.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 09:12 AM

I think the last McGallery we stayed in was in Bangkok. We were there for a week but they messed up the room reservation. As compensation, after one night they moved us to the Penthouse Suite. Two bedrooms, numerous bathrooms, 12 seater dining room, lounge, TWO Balconies. Never have we been so happy for a hotel to get things wrong! Enjoy!
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 04:08 PM

Wow crellston! I would love a mistake like that with my reservation! Sounds fabulous. I’m going to have a look at the hotel’s Bangkok website, although we’re staying at the Hilton this trip. I like being on the river.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 06:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at Sofitel near the US Embassy.
Old Jan 24th, 2023, 10:09 PM

I like the river too, especially the daily boat trips. I haven't stayed at the Hilton but passed by many times. Great location for the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Chinatown etc. The McGallery location is not as good.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 03:12 AM

If you want the best in 5-star in ugly Bangkok; stay at the magnificent ORIENTAL, certainly not at a Hilton or the Sofitel,
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 03:23 AM

Really? I found the Oriental to be stuffy, too formal, overpriced and overrated. Nice location though. Much prefer the Peninsula on the opposite bank of the river.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 03:27 AM

You know a (-star hotel which is not stuffy ? Not me, it goes with the territorry and the idiots ready to pay atrocious prices for a room where they are only to SLEEP !
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 03:46 AM

I know plenty of 5* hotels around the world that are not stuffy. Some of them have been mentioned in this thread. However the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok is possible the most formal/stuffy hotel in which I have stayed, though the Georges V in Paris is close.

Not everyone who stays in a 5* hotel is an "idiot" nor do they necessarily pay "atrocious" prices. Book wisely and they can be very affordable. Not everyone goes to a hotel just to sleep. Each to their own.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
I know plenty of 5* hotels around the world that are not stuffy. Some of them have been mentioned in this thread. However the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok is possible the most formal/stuffy hotel in which I have stayed, though the Georges V in Paris is close.

Not everyone who stays in a 5* hotel is an "idiot" nor do they necessarily pay "atrocious" prices. Book wisely and they can be very affordable. Not everyone goes to a hotel just to sleep. Each to their own.
I’ve never stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok but have eaten at their restaurants many times. The hotel does seem stuffy and I too prefer the Peninsula. I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental In Kuala Lumpur and that is a great hotel. As for the Hilton in Bangkok, we got a tour of it when it first opened and the executive suite was fabulous. It’s been recently renovated and looks even nicer so I’m looking forward to staying there. Suffice it to say, I will not be taking hotel advice from Larsay. I think it’s wise to stay in 5 star hotels in Asia since they are very reasonably priced. We don’t just sleep in the hotel, we have happy hour every evening and relax with wine after dinner in our room, so a nice hotel is very important to us.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 11:15 AM

We also stayed at the MO in KL and loved it, incredible how two hotels in the same group can be so different! - I am surprised we have never bumped into one another in some of these places Laurieco. And no, I don't think shall be following Larsay's advice on hotels any time soon. Always amazes me how people can be so critical of places in which they have never stayed..
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by papovisaseo6711
Really, the cost of a hotel in Vietnam 5 * as your request is not lacking. Please try to refer to Muong Thanh Hotel, Vingroup or New world
this makes no sense
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Decision made

Thank you for your recommendations and discussion. I think we will try the Caravelle for 3 days.
Old Apr 8th, 2023, 09:15 PM

The Caravelle is not a good choice, ultra-modern without any charm like you find in every large city in the world. In 4 stars, go to the Continental and, in 5, the superb Majestic, on the river, a palace hotel lie the Plaza Athénée in Paris or the Savoy in London
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

I have been advised that La Siesta EHG has opened a new hotel known as La Siesta Sai Gon. Might go there based on positive experiences in Hanoi. Does anyone have any experience of this hotel ?
Old Apr 26th, 2023, 09:05 PM

La Siesta Hanoi is one of the best 4 stars (not 5) in town. I believe that they would not run an inferior one in Saigon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -