Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Canal St. Martin and Pere Lachaise - Doable in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Paris in February. We had planned to go to Pere Lachaise one morning and from there to the Canal St. Martin area, with lunch there and then a canal boat back toward St. Germain. However, as I look at a map, I'm not sure this is a realistic day, especially since we do not want a frenetic schedule, but rather want to include much time for wandering. What are your thoughts? If I have to pick just one, I'm inclined to pick the Canal St. Martin part. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Pere Lachaise has a map of its "residents" -- you can find out where those of most interest are to you and save time. Canal St. Martin has become very hip. We didnt get there this trip, we also had hoped to get to Buttes Chaumont Parc. We always seem to miss the NE and SE sights, including Promenade des Plantes (off behind the Bastille)..... Such is the life of a flaneur......
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 08:35 AM

I think you can do both. You can visit the cemetery for a a couple of hours and have the rest of the day to enjoy the St. Martin area.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Either can last as long or as briefly as suits you. Generally, you would spend more time in Père Lachaise.

But if you really book a canal ride, that takes 3 hours due to going through all of the locks. I'm not sure that there is much of a schedule for that in February.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

In February, the canal boats run only on the weekends, 1 cruise a day from Canal St. Martin into the center of the city. The boat leaves at 2:30, so you're right, it does crunch things. I thought it would be interesting to go through the locks, but if we're really enjoying the Canal St. Martin area, we can just skip the boat ride. Any thoughts on the merits of the canal boat ride?
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 06:28 PM

We did a canal boat ride and it was fun but I would not call it a must. Much of the time we were below street level and wondered what we were missing seeing. You can likely watch a boat go through the locks and get a good sense of what happens.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 10:11 PM

Agree that the boat ride is OK but not a fabulous life changing experience. After you've passed one lock they're al the same, and even that first one is pretty darn uneventful and boring. Meander around the cemetery, then dawdle at the burgeoning hipster spots, catch an uber home.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 10:20 PM

You will not take an Uber home if you value life on the planet. Anybody who is visiting Père Lachaise and the canal area on foot cannot play the 'disabled' card.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 04:25 PM

kerouac what does disability have to do with uber?
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 04:36 PM

Just my taste, but I would be bored on the St Martin Canal ride...walking along it fun, and -- as has been mentioned -- you can watch a boat go through a lock at one of the bridges.

Pere Lachaise is beautiful, and you would be cheating yourself, if you only visit the famous residents. Some of the tombs of the "unknowns" are spectacular. It's a park, not just a cemetary.

An earlier poster mentioned Buttes Chaumont park. On a sunny day, there's hardly a better place to be in Paris.
ssander
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
kerouac what does disability have to do with uber?
There is no reason to use vehicles that pollute in a city with excellent public transportation unless one is disabled;
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions and feedback - now, I'm inclined to have us skip the canal boat ride in favor of meandering.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 08:31 AM

I think that that is the correct decision since in any case the weather can make you change your plans at any moment in February. I agree that if the weather is glorious (ha ha -- fat chance), the Buttes Chaumont would be an excellent option after the cemetery, and since that park is very close to the Bassin de la Villette (the end of the Canal Saint Martin where it turns into the the Canal de l'Ourcq in one direction and the canal Saint Denis at the Villette fork), you could get a taste of the canal atmosphere as well.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 09:02 AM

I wish everyone would just get over Uber and the idea that every person needs some private chauffeur because they are too lazy to walk or take the metro, not wanting to mingle wiht the masses, I guess. Tourists do that where I live and make the traffic terrible just because they are lazy.

Canal boat rides are not particularly interesting, even the Seine boat cruises aren't that fascinating as far as I'm concerned as you are obviously way below street level so view are not great. At night at least the buildings are lit up, so there's that.
Old Jan 21st, 2023, 10:58 AM

To be clear. below street level in St-Martin means in a tunnel, for least a third of the route. A novelty but not picturesque. To balance, occasionally the canal boat is well above street level, staring into apartment windows. A one-way ride should satisfy curiosity. Metro from the vicinity of Villette can take you back to your base. I've walked it one-way and was entertained by the neighbourhood. In Paris, I am easily entertained.

Last edited by Southam; Jan 21st, 2023 at 11:00 AM.