Chasing Northern Lights in Iceland in mid October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2023, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to Iceland in mid October for 7 days(could be cold and rainy/bad weather). Of course my main agenda is to see the northern lights (I know there is no guarantees and I could end up disappointed). Plan on trying the Wake up reykjavik northern lights tour the first night so if we don't see them we can keep rebooking to try and increase our chances. We (husband and I are 70 yo) would rent a car and do day trips to fjord of Hvalfjordur, Borgarfjordur, Gullfoss falls, Þingvellir National Park to see the Silfra fissure. Oops and maybe Reynisfjara. Also interested in the Perlan Museum and Öskjuhlíð where I understand you could see old WW II bunkers and machine gun nests. I tried to pick activities that we could do as we would not want to be doing 3 mile hikes or going up moderate to strenuous uphill hikes. We would also do some sightseeing in Reykjavik. How does this sound? Is it hard to find lodging in Reykjavik that has free parking? Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 12:55 PM

My husband and I will also be in Reykjavik for 3 nights October 15-18 on our way home from Europe. We are staying at the Nest Apartments, and I have just sent them an inquiry as to parking available as we will be renting a car. I will let you know their response. We are getting our car from carsiceland.com and the rates seem very reasonable!
We are wanting to drive the Golden Circle and the South Shore, both of which have many scenic spots to check out. Also the Kolaportid Market in the city centre looks interesting, have you heard of it?
Chat soon!
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 02:39 PM

Nest Apartments replied already
There is parking in the street in front of the apartment, it has to be paid for from 9-18.00on weekdays, the first two hours are about 1.50 Euro per hour and 40 cents per hour after that.
There is also free parking around Hallgrimskirkja church, but it is harder to get a space there.’

This also looks fun. Flyovericeland.com. It is a virtual flight and if booked online is only $51 CAD. We have done virtual flights before and love them

Anything else I come across I will pass on! Cheers
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Gypsy8.

After doing a lot of research, we have decided to not go to Iceland. It looks so beautiful but the main reason I wanted to go was to see the Northern Lights and I would be really disappointed if I did not see them. I was also concerned about the weather in October. I did not want to be sightseeing with the possibility of really rainy, really cold weather. It would make more sense if we were on a return trip from Europe like you are doing. I was surprised when I checked rental car prices - they did seem very reasonable. I wish you the best of luck with your trip and hope you have great weather and a good time. Thanks again!
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 05:21 AM

Well, that does make sense…would be disappointing to get there an it be overcast the whole time. And that does leave you open now to a different vacation. Cheers