Toledo or Segovia

Old Jan 18th, 2023, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toledo or Segovia

With one day to spare in Madrid, how do you decide between Toledo or Segovia for a day trip?
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 08:42 AM

For me, an art lover and Spanish history lover and avid museum go-er, Toledo is essential because of its important, huge artistic patrimony and is also the city of the 3 cultures: Moorish, Jewish and Christian and has an excellent Sephardic Museum connected to the Synagogue of the Transit. It's hard to capture it all in a day trip, so try to avoid a Sunday, when monuments close early or a Monday when some monuments are closed all day (such as the Sephardic Museum) and go early and if you want to visit the most museums andplan on staying later. Trains leave from Atocha rail station.

Segovia is a "lighter" visit, not so heavy on art and can be delightful (love it in winter) but not as heavy or intense and also not so crowded with day trippers. Trains leave from Chamartín station.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 09:53 PM

I have to agree with Maribel (again)!

When I first went to Toledo I was absolutely blown away by everything. I couldn't wait for a return visit.

Well..,Segovia is nice, interesting.
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 10:07 PM

Ditto that ditto

Have to concur with maribel. Having visited both, if i was pressed to choose just one it would be Toledo for sure.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 12:33 AM

For me, the cathedral in Toledo is absolutely mind blowing, worth the trip just to see the transparente, but there is the alter, the choir, the Paintings.
Without going into details, will just say, I love churches and cathedrals, have seen many and have several favorites, and the cathedral of Toledo is simply so spectacular inside, words do not work for describing it.
https://travelpast50.com/toledo-spain-cathedral/

The history of Toledo is so amazing. It was a model of major religions cooperating and working together, even helping each other build houses of worship, like the Synagogue.
It was a mecca for artists.
Toledo is a maze of narrow walk ways and streets. If you can stay late or or night, it is mystical and magical. Ride the train that circles through the countryside around the city for great views of the city and cathedral.

Segovia is pretty, lovely for walking, nice central plaza with shops, interesting church and castle and wonderful aqueduct. It has a more open feeling and great views of the surrounding countryside.
Old Jan 20th, 2023, 08:05 AM

I can easily spend 2 hours in Toledo's spectacular Gothic cathedral. one of 3 of Spain's finest (along with Burgos & León),
but there is also the House-Museum of El Greco, his masterpiece, "The Burial of Count Orgaz" in the Iglesia de Santo Tomé,
plus...
more of El Greco, Flemish tapestries, archeological artifacts, a fine ceramics collection from all over Spain in the Museum-Hospital of Santa Cruz (one of Spain's finest small museums),
plus..
the two lovely synagogues, the Mezquita Cristo de la Luz, the Victor Macho sculpture museum, the Monastery of San Juan de los Reyes, the Army Museum in the Alcázar, the spectacular views from the Mirador that can be reached by the tourist train
and on and on....
For an art history buff, it's rather overwhelming to take in within a day trip.