Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Merano: good hiking base in Mid May? or?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to spend 4-5 days on easy to moderate hikes in the low Dolomites in Mid May. We have been to Val Gardena. this time we'd would like a place with more greenery and trees within 2 hour drive of Riva del Garda (tip of Lake Garda). Hiking up is fine, but knee issues with lots of downhill even with hiking poles--unless there is a cable car or life.

Is Merano a good choice? I read that there a promenades right in the city, but are there easy/moderate hikes nearby? or someplace outside of Merano?
we'd love a charming town/city.
Hope you will have some suggestions!
Old Jan 18th, 2023, 12:22 AM

Merano is not in the Dolomites, - of course - but it's a good base for hikes along endless water channels (called "Wale" in local dialect) which irrigate the whole Venosta Valley.
https://www.vinschgau.net/en/mountai...nel-paths.html
All water channel trails are more or less flat. The water channel trail network goes from Merano up to the Swiss border close to Mustair Monastery (Unesco site).
Old Jan 19th, 2023, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding to my post. I thought that just outside of Merano there were some hikes in mountains.
We really enjoy Wengen and Murren and are looking for someplace with similar meadows, greenery and cows! Do you have any suggestions for places w/i 2 hour drive of lake Garda?

Old Jan 24th, 2023, 12:07 AM

Hi!

Actually, the Dolomites are mostly in the Trentino-Alto Adige region, although some are in the northern Veneto and the western Friuli-Venezia regions.

Frances Mayes (author of Under the Tuscan Sun) said in her latest book that she loves Trento and could “move there.”

There are nine national parks in the Dolomites. This link might help:

https://www.dolomites.org/things-to-do/nature-parks/