Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is Palacio Nacional in Mexico City Closed For Visitors?

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that in September 2022 the Palacio Nacional closed for any visitors to see the interior. Has that changed or you no longer able to go inside?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 07:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Tom, I saw this on TA:
some days ago there was a debate about if National Palace was open or not. I wrote an e-mail and just received an answer: It is OPEN.
Here are the details:
You have to make a reservation in the Art Museum located in 4 Moneda St. This Museum is open from 10:00 - 16:00 TUE - SUN.
You can book 2 different circuits:
Circuit A: Diego Rivera Murals and Old Parliament TUE -SUN:
10:30 am: Only English
11:30 am: Only Spanish
12:30 pm Only Spanish
15:00 pm Only Spanish
16:00 pm Only Spanish
Circuit B: Benito Juárez Museum. TUE - SUN
13:30 pm Only Spanish
For booking you need to write down:
-Full name of all the participants
-Country and City
-Email + Phone Number

It's free but if the president has something to do, your visit will be cancelled.
Fwiw.

Last edited by baldone; Jan 16th, 2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Baldone, Many thanks. I had seen on their website that something happened with the new govt. in September 2022 and tours had all been canceled. Thanks again.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Here is what I saw on their website:

"Unlike other six-year terms, since September 1, 2022, this Government Regime decided to close the doors of the National Palace to Tourist Guides. Access to the National Palace is radically controlled to the extreme of preventing our activity freely in the most emblematic historical, political, artistic, cultural and touristic place of our country. Before the Pandemic, the National Palace received up to 1,500 visitors daily, for now, the school services office of the Ministry of Finance only attends a grand total of 100 people per day, including national and foreign tourists, local walkers, and students. Additionally, this Regime decided to disappear, close or restrict access inside the National Palace to:
The National Gallery National
Palace Historical Museum
Diego Rivera Room
Raúl Anguiano Gallery
Garden of the Empress
Archaeological Windows
Tribute Room to Francisco I. Madero
Monumental Staircase of the Main

Do you think we could reserve a spot online before we go, or just head to the museum to pick a day when we get there? Thanks.
Is the email you used:
[email protected]
Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info! This is helpful!
Old Jan 25th, 2023, 12:26 PM

maitatom, have you had any luck in making a reservation for the National Palace by email?

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

"maitatom, have you had any luck in making a reservation for the National Palace by email?"

I am waiting for a reply from the email address I listed above. I don't know if it is the correct email to request a visit. Stay tuned.

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
"maitatom, have you had any luck in making a reservation for the National Palace by email?"

I am waiting for a reply from the email address I listed above. I don't know if it is the correct email to request a visit. Stay tuned.
Thanks. I asked my hotel but they don’t seem to have any knowledge of what’s available. I was just offered an a pricey private tour which would include a visit here.

Last edited by progol; Feb 8th, 2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:37 AM

We just returned from Mexico City yesterday (3/12/22). We didn't end up going to the Nacional Palacio as we weren't feeling well but it IS open. It's just very difficult or confusing to get tickets.

This is a government site which includes the times of the tours in English and Spanish, which tours they are, and an email to contact them. I BELIEVE (but won't swear by it!) that this is the way to reserve tickets, which are free.
https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attac...Egq_imENQS09us

We arrived around 11am and were directed to the ticket office in the building beside the Nacional Palacio. It wasn't hard to find the ticket office. Once there, we were told that the tickets for the English tours were already booked up this week but we could come back later and get ourselves waitlisted for a Spanish tour (the waitlists for the English tours were already very long!).

Since we were already satiated by seeing the Rivera murals at the SEP (Secretaria de Educacion Publica), we decided to pass, but I wanted to make sure people know that the palace is open.
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

We were just confirmed for the tour, so hopefully there will not be a demonstration that day or a visit by a dignitary.
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
We were just confirmed for the tour, so hopefully there will not be a demonstration that day or a visit by a dignitary.
Great!
Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:28 PM

I actually I got a reply to my email asking about a tour of the national palace. I asked if a Sunday was available. The summary of their Spanish reply is, 'due to high demand on the weekends, we kindly ask you to go to the ticket module at (they give the address mentioned above) at 10am to check availability and register".

I already bought a ticket to the Fridah Khalo museum for this time. I am just going to acquiesce to skipping or missing the national palace. Would skipping it be that much of a shame? I supposed missing it couldn't be any worse than going to Washington DC and skipping the White House tour.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've visited the National Palace twice but never took a tour. Is it required now? If not, I think you will find the murals accessible without needing a guide.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes, a tour is required. We toured the National Palace two weeks ago. One of the best tour guides ever gave details and stories on each mural. We got a virtual history of Mexico. If you can get a tour... go!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:57 PM

I mistyped. The summary of the emails is, I asked if a certain Sunday was available. They said to show up on the Tuesday 2 days later "to check availability and register". I am thinking of just skipping trying to get a spot on a tour.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I posted about our tour on another thread. When the Moderators deem fit to read it and post it, it will best explain how to get on the tour.