Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Itin with Kids--would love critiques!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am roughing out our day to day plans while in Paris this June. I have not traveled abroad yet with our 10 and 7 year old, I'm familiar with Paris and we are staying in an apt near the Luxembourg Garden. We have 9 days, including arrival day, not including departure day.

Here is what I'm thinking, I'd love to know how it could be better, what I'm missing, what I have on the wrong days, etc. Thank you!!

Arrival: walk around our neighborhood; groceries, crepe place for dinner; maybe make it to the Seine or Pont Neuf.
Day 2: batobus to Eiffel Tower; maybe walk home slowly via Rue Cler; Le Bon Marche; a park, or just take bus back and go to Luxumbourg Garden eat picnic dinner in Garden.
Day 3: Rue Mouffetard market/breakfast/walk around left bank and islands; Notre Dame/Sainte Chapelle
Day 4: Sunday: Marais: shopping, falafel, parks, Picasso Museum (maybe), Jewish History museum (maybe)
Day 5: Musee de l’Orangerie; Tullieries gardens; Louvre (plan to arrive at 3pm, 6pm closing).
Day 6: Tuesday: Versailles
Day 7: Montmartre and open rest of the day
Day 8: Disneyland
Day 9: last day; Rodin and Orsay combined ticket?
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Children of all ages (that includes adults!) would love the tethered balloon ride: www.ballondeparis.com
It doesn't ascend in windy or bad weather.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 11:19 AM

I would make the most of being so close to JdL! It's a big park, lots of options for kids too, not only the sailing boats and the pond. Google translate this excellent site in French https://www.parisenfamille.com/jardin-luxembourg-enfant. I especially recommend de Poussin Vert playground: https://www.parisenfamille.com/jardin-luxembourg-enfant

If you went mid-july you could take all advantage of Paris Plage. But that's not on yet in June when you're going.

Also, your itinerary is an itinerary for grown ups at this point. Can you split up, as parents? You could take your children on separate adventures. What I always liked to do with my son was the day to day stuff, like go to the baker's to buy stuff for breakfast, an excursion to the mini mart on the corner. And also one late night on a cafe terrasse: "Orangina for him, please"

Parc de la Villette is also great with kids: https://lavillette.com/page/en-famil...illette_a144/1

Disneyland is a huge investment of time and money, so I wonder if it's worth it. OTOH, you have 9 days, so why not?

Last edited by menachem; Jan 15th, 2023 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 03:52 PM

I think the Rodin and Orsay museums combined together is a museum heavy day. However, I love them. Depending on your kids' tolerance, you could always aim for just the highlights. The Rodin garden is a lovely place to enjoy a bite in at its garden cafe and the kids could run around a bit. Your Montmartre day is pretty light - you could likely move something there.

One thing we found with our kids was a little break in the large museums with a chance for a pastry treat or bite to eat refreshed us all and kept us going. The museum cafes were a little pricey but worth every centime (dating myself!)

I would choose to spend more time in the Luxembourg gardens rather than visiting Parc de la Villette.

I remember reading the fountains of Versailles aren't always running. You might check in case that would alter the day you visit.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your feedback so far, and recommendations, its all very appreciated!
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 08:36 AM

We loved wandering down Canal Saint-Martin. Some of it has beautiful trees shading the walk and you can stand on the bridges to watch the boats maneuver the lock system. There plenty of outdoor cafes, we enjoyed an ice cream there and is was a peaceful place to rest our feet.

A sunset cruise on the Seine.

Rue Montorgueill with its vast, varied outdoor market. Since you have an apartment, you could find some special treats to bring home for a meal or dessert. There are many outdoor cafes, also. The architecture is beautiful with all of the ironwork, and the oldest bakery in Paris is there, Stohrer.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 09:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You are really not pushing the envelope with most of your destinations.

Children absolutely adore the Parc de la Villette with all of the things to explore -- the garden of echos, the garden of whispers, the bamboo forest, the submerged bicycle, etc. Comparatively speaking, the Luxembourg is just a huge bore designed mostly for adults. Children want to see a park designed for them.

The Buttes Chaumont is also very popular with children with hidden grottos, the suspension bridge to the island, the climb to the belvedere and of course the lake.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still have fond memories of taking a boat trip up the Canal St Martin, through locks and under bridges, all the way to la Villette. I particularly enjoyed taking photos of tourists on bridges taking photos of me.
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 07:50 PM

Our kids enjoyed the Cite des Sciences, which had lots of interactive stuff. That was quite a while ago but it may not have changed much so worth a look to see if it's of interest. The park was also a win.

They enjoyed Rodin (we let them escape into the garden after a bit) but you have quite a lot of museums and galleries on your list. I'd just see how you go on the day.

I'd climb the tower at Notre Dame if the queue isn't too long. Kids of all ages like climbing towers and this one has those gargoyles and bells.

I agree that splitting up is a good idea. One-one time and time for adults to do whatever interests them (one at a time most likely). Give them a 'menu' of things they might want to do and let them choose?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 09:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Notre Dame is closed until December 2024 and it is not certain that the towers will be open yet.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 06:38 AM

K8, I think this is a wonderful itinerary - I love that you didn't pack too much into every day, so you'll have time to just wander and explore Paris.

For your Marais day, you might want to consider swapping out the museums you have there with the Centre Pompidou, which has special exhibits just for kids, and often puts on interactive events (you could check their website to see if they have anything going on for families the week you're in Paris). Also, you may want to add Berthillon ice cream to this day - they have tons of fun ice cream that kids love. It's on Ile-Saint-Louis.

Also second the suggestion to check out the Canal Saint-Martin if you have time - it's lovely, and the kids might enjoy going on a boat and getting to go through the locks.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

These are all great, thank you
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 11:14 AM

We used to live in the UK and while there we took our kids to Paris probably 4 times between ages of 3 and 6 and then we took them back again when they were 8 and 10. So hopefully my experiences will be helpful to you! Love your location by Luxembourg gardens - we found that when our kids needed a break, we would head to the childrens playground (a small fee) and they would run around and blow off steam - their favorite as they got older was the zip line...

Day 2 sounds good - the walk from Eiffel Tower to LG can start to feel like a death march when you get to the invalides area but we would find places to stop to rest. Btw, our secret to success in Paris with kids? Amorino gelato... I'm actually serious. First - it is delicious gelato, second, you can order as many flavors as you want and they make the cone look like a beautiful flower. Finally, there are so many Amorino's that we would just look for the closest one on our phones and route past them.

Day 3 also sounds good (don't forget Amorino on Ile-Saint-Louis). Also on Ile-Saint-Louis is a super fun store called Pylones - my kids aren't big shoppers but they love that store as it is filled with bright and whimsical gadgets and we always find something to buy...

Day 4 and Day 5 - that's a lot of museums. Maybe my kids are pansies but they couldn't handle more than 1 museum per day. On Day 4, I'd consider switching to the Pompidou vs Picasso or Jewish museum if you are up for that. On Day 5, I personally find the Tuileries to be kinda of boring (and hot in July) so it's not much of a destination other than a place you have to walk through to get from one museum to the other (unless they have the carnival in place on the edge of the park which then makes it be the only place my kids want to spend all their time!).

I like that Day 7 is light as Day 6 is a long day with the train to Versailles (and lots of walking there).

Day 8. Idk, if your kids are Disney crazy and/or have it on the bucket list to experience, then go for it. We took the kids when they were about 4 and 6 (bought the tickets ahead of time) and honestly, it was a miserable day as we got there and a bunch of rides were closed, the lines were horrendous, and it was not clean like I am used to with the California and Florida parks. It's possible we just hit it on a bad day but we aborted mission after only a couple hours at the park as no one was having fun...

Day 9 - Maybe you play it by ear to see if your kids are way more cultured than mine and can handle two museums. Otherwise, you could choose one museum and then do something else for your last day that the kids pick. Btw, you could consider Arc de Triomphe - especially if you don't end up going to top of Eiffel Tower with the kids. I like to see the Eiffel Tower it but I can't deal with the crowds/lines so I've only gone up a couple of times. I prefer to take the kids up Arc de Triomphe as faster and my kids love the view and to watch the craziness of the round-a-bout traffic.

Other random things my kids loved in Paris..
1) Amorino Gelato (as mentioned)
2) Any carnivale they could find (worth checking to see what is running for your trip).
3) Metro - they loved to take the metro and also wanted a picture by any of the artistic entrances (the best one is the one by the Louvre at Place Colette).
4) Sitting in cafes and people watching - especially on Avenue des Champs-Élysées or near Pompidou. Plus my daughter likes the "diamond" staircase at the Swarovski crystal shop and my son the car showroom (might have been Ferrari?).

Have a great trip!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2023, 02:03 PM

The above wonderful post reminded me of Berthillon: a great ice cream shop on the Île Saint-Louis. We found it necessary to make several stops there.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NorCal_Jo
We used to live in the UK and while there we took our kids to Paris probably 4 times between ages of 3 and 6 and then we took them back again when they were 8 and 10. So hopefully my experiences will be helpful to you! Love your location by Luxembourg gardens - we found that when our kids needed a break, we would head to the childrens playground (a small fee) and they would run around and blow off steam - their favorite as they got older was the zip line...

Day 2 sounds good - the walk from Eiffel Tower to LG can start to feel like a death march when you get to the invalides area but we would find places to stop to rest. Btw, our secret to success in Paris with kids? Amorino gelato... I'm actually serious. First - it is delicious gelato, second, you can order as many flavors as you want and they make the cone look like a beautiful flower. Finally, there are so many Amorino's that we would just look for the closest one on our phones and route past them.

Day 3 also sounds good (don't forget Amorino on Ile-Saint-Louis). Also on Ile-Saint-Louis is a super fun store called Pylones - my kids aren't big shoppers but they love that store as it is filled with bright and whimsical gadgets and we always find something to buy...

Day 4 and Day 5 - that's a lot of museums. Maybe my kids are pansies but they couldn't handle more than 1 museum per day. On Day 4, I'd consider switching to the Pompidou vs Picasso or Jewish museum if you are up for that. On Day 5, I personally find the Tuileries to be kinda of boring (and hot in July) so it's not much of a destination other than a place you have to walk through to get from one museum to the other (unless they have the carnival in place on the edge of the park which then makes it be the only place my kids want to spend all their time!).

I like that Day 7 is light as Day 6 is a long day with the train to Versailles (and lots of walking there).

Day 8. Idk, if your kids are Disney crazy and/or have it on the bucket list to experience, then go for it. We took the kids when they were about 4 and 6 (bought the tickets ahead of time) and honestly, it was a miserable day as we got there and a bunch of rides were closed, the lines were horrendous, and it was not clean like I am used to with the California and Florida parks. It's possible we just hit it on a bad day but we aborted mission after only a couple hours at the park as no one was having fun...

Day 9 - Maybe you play it by ear to see if your kids are way more cultured than mine and can handle two museums. Otherwise, you could choose one museum and then do something else for your last day that the kids pick. Btw, you could consider Arc de Triomphe - especially if you don't end up going to top of Eiffel Tower with the kids. I like to see the Eiffel Tower it but I can't deal with the crowds/lines so I've only gone up a couple of times. I prefer to take the kids up Arc de Triomphe as faster and my kids love the view and to watch the craziness of the round-a-bout traffic.

Other random things my kids loved in Paris..
1) Amorino Gelato (as mentioned)
2) Any carnivale they could find (worth checking to see what is running for your trip).
3) Metro - they loved to take the metro and also wanted a picture by any of the artistic entrances (the best one is the one by the Louvre at Place Colette).
4) Sitting in cafes and people watching - especially on Avenue des Champs-Élysées or near Pompidou. Plus my daughter likes the "diamond" staircase at the Swarovski crystal shop and my son the car showroom (might have been Ferrari?).

Have a great trip!!!
This was all incredibly helpful, thank you!
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Seriously amazing posts from everyone, thank you so much. Norcal Jo, thanks so much for the wealth of info and experience!