Need help with North End of Lake Garda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2023, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide where to stay around Lake Garda for 1 week in mid May. We have been to Sirmione and small towns nearby so we are thinking of the east or north shore in a charming small town with a pedestrian center, cafes, shops, and on a good ferry route. We want to do lots of walking/easy hiking on mainly level paths due to knee issues. i had considered Malcesine but then read that it is one of the hillest towns on Lake Garda with mainly steep streets. and Limone is similar. We will rent a car.
East or North shore? Torri Del Benaco? Riva?
We would like to go afterwards to green hiking area/maybe low Dolomites? the pictures of Adamello Brenta park look great. but something closer to Lake Garda would work.

Last edited by alainr; Jan 14th, 2023 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 02:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend Riva. It's a lovely place, not too large, but with a good choice of hotels and restaurants on the lakeside, great views down the lake too. If you've already visited the southern end, then you may decide to stick to the north and with a car you can get around without too much trouble. The roads are busy in season but not too much. Malcesine is worth a visit for the cable car ride to the top of Monte Baldo and on a clear day you can watch the base jumpers cast themselves off the top.

If you go anti clockwise, stop in Limone. Pretty village on the left side of the Lombardy/Veneto border.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 08:48 AM

Stayed in Malcescine last summer and it was hilly, however the house we rented had steps down to the main road, about a 8 minute walk to the center of town with lots of shops/restaurants. So you could probably find a place to stay a bit lower down and avoid the hills. As someone else mentioned, it's also convenient to go up to Mt Baldo.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by alainr
We are trying to decide where to stay around Lake Garda for 1 week in mid May. We have been to Sirmione and small towns nearby so we are thinking of the east or north shore in a charming small town with a pedestrian center, cafes, shops, and on a good ferry route. We want to do lots of walking/easy hiking on mainly level paths due to knee issues. i had considered Malcesine but then read that it is one of the hillest towns on Lake Garda with mainly steep streets. and Limone is similar. We will rent a car.
East or North shore? Torri Del Benaco? Riva?
We would like to go afterwards to green hiking area/maybe low Dolomites? the pictures of Adamello Brenta park look great. but something closer to Lake Garda would work.
I second Rubicund. I was at Riva last September and it was a great base for exploring the northern part of the Lake. Easy for getting around with a bus or ferry and good selection of hotel, cafes and shops. Stayed at a great and affordable B&B called Garni Hotello Sport.

For lower Dolomites, I've always wanted to go to Molveno. One of the most stunning places I've seen pictures of. Should be possible to do some light hiking there.
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Riva looks lovely. Do you know whether there are fairly level walks around Riva or nearby places?
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by alainr
Riva looks lovely. Do you know whether there are fairly level walks around Riva or nearby places?
Yeah, that should be quite possible.

On both sides of the gondola to Monte Baldo there is fairly flat for a while.

You could drive up to the Tenno Valley and hike around the lake there:

https://www.trentino.com/en/highligh...es/lake-tenno/

Or the same around Lake Ledro just east of Lake Garda.

You could hike the Ponale road directly from Riva. This has a very gentle gradient:

https://www.trentino.com/en/leisure-...da-del-ponale/

Or you could hike from Limone on the the path there. It says bike path, but it is no problem walking it:

https://outsidethissmalltown.com/lake-garda-bike-path/

Old Jan 16th, 2023, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions.
After Riva del Garda, we wanted to do some easy hiking in the low Dolomites--more greenery than higher elevations w/i 2 hour drive from Riva. I looked at Merano, but am wondering if a smaller town would be more charming. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 09:38 AM

Meran is not exactly in the Dolomites, but if this area appeals to you then try Dorf Tirol, smaller and located on a plateau above Meran.

Otherwise, for Dolomites at relatively low elevation you could try Kastelruth/Castelrotto.