Search

Snorkeling

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling

Where is the best snorkeling in the Caribbean? Thinking about May.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 04:27 PM

Bonaire has excellent snorkeling - some regard it as the best in the Caribbean.

You’ll find some very good snorkeling throughout the British Virgin Islands and in the Turks & Caicos.

We also found good snorkeling in the Grenadines, especially around the Tobago Cays.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We will look into these ideas.
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 09:26 AM

Grand Cayman is also very good in addition to the above.
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 02:28 AM

Bonaire is great for snorkelling but the island is very bare. Curacao is also great for snorkelling, but it's bigger and greener and there are more options.
Old Jan 23rd, 2023, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will keep your advice in mind.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 11:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m on Bonaire now. It’s my first time here after visiting St John three times. We’re staying near the Andrea sites and have only snorkeled there. The snorkeling here is comparable but different. The variety of fish here is fantastic and the coral formations are beautiful. Lots of brain and elk horn coral but I haven’t yet seen the beautiful colors of fan coral that we saw at the Overhauls in St John and we haven’t seen anything really different such as octopi, squid, large turtles or rays…yet. Snorkeling in St John is done in beautiful sand-rimmed coves where entry into the water is easy unless there’s a beach where you have to dodge sea urchins. You can sit under trees and enjoy a packed lunch between swims. Most of the snorkeling here is off rocky beaches and you have to enter at designated spots because the coral formations are right off the beach. You must have thick soled booties instead of the sock type I usually snorkel in with my fins. You can snorkel along the entire western coastline, if you wanted.

St John is very American except that you’ll drive on the “wrong side.” It’s VERY hilly and the roads are curvy.You’ll need to rent a Jeep but it will be automatic shift. You’ll only need a pickup in Bonaire if you’re going into the National park and it’s very likely you’ll end up with a standard shift unless you specify. The roads are flat, though, but not in the best shape.

Even though the island is Dutch, most people speak English. We’ve run into a few language barriers and food shopping can be a European adventure.

I have my own questions for the Bonaire experts. What were your favorite spots? We were going to go over to Klein Bonaire but I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble. Considering what we’re seeing off our own beach, the reviews, while glowing, don’t make it sound like we’ll see much that is different.
Old Jan 26th, 2023, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this fabulous, informative report!
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 11:34 AM

St. Maarten boasts quite a lot of amazing snorkling locations, both in its seas as well as lagoons, also tours going to those.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 04:48 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
For me, my favorites have been Buck Island off St. Croix and walking off the beach in St. Lucia and snorkeling next to the Piton. I stayed there when it was a Hilton property but it's now Sugar Beach. Water taxi drivers at the beach there can take you to other snorkeling sites.
https://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts....ach/activities