Quick trip in UK

Search

Quick trip in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick trip in UK

Hello! Looking for recommendations on what is probably considered a not so wise plan! We have 5 nights in the UK before catching a cruise ship from Southampton... we've only been to London and Ireland previously. Hubby would love to see Scotland and Wales... first night in London near Kings Cross and 2 nights in Edinburgh near the train station and castle are what I'm thinking to start, but then I'm stuck. The train to Edinburgh is only about 4 hours, but I don't see a direct train from there to Wales. Is the ~7 hour train to Wales (Cardiff?) a really bad idea?! Am wondering if there is an alternative to Wales kind of "on the way" from Edinburgh back down to London/Southampton. Or should we stay 3 nights in Edinburgh and save Wales or alternate for another time... So many options! Thanks in advance for your help .
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wellllll.
Scotland isn't a very great idea in such a short time but is a possible, but sticking Wales in as well is off the scale

I might look at the train from London and consider visiting Edinburgh, Durham, York and London, no need to sleep over in each city, you can leave luggage at York station Left Luggage at York Station

Alternatively look at Oxford or Winchester as day outs from London
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - but trying to fit on Scotland and Wales into what is really just 4 nights because you don't want to be hundreds of miles from Southampton the day before your cruise.

If it was me I'd forget about Wales. Instead of sleeping at Kings Cross the first night, take the sleeper train to Edinburgh. Stay 3 nights in Edinburgh -- maybe taking a one day Rabbie's tour, then train back south to London and on to Southampton. Tour last night could be spent in London or in Southampton.

https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...from-edinburgh
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:28 AM

Didn't see bilboburgler's post -- An alternative would be Sleeper train to Edinburgh, stay 2 night IN Edinburgh, train to York, stay one night. Then train to London -- but in any case you will want to be in either London or Southampton (or some other nearby town) the night before the cruise.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 08:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Three questions. First, where are you coming from, second, when is the cruise departing, and third, are your plane tickets already purchased?

Assuming the first answer is North America and the second one is anytime besides August (when Edinburgh hosts various festivals and becomes extremely crowded and expensive, if fun) and the third answer is "no," then I'd book flights into Edinburgh rather than London, even if it means a plane change at Heathrow. Even if you had to purchase a London - Edinburgh flight separate from the transatlantic one (being sure you allowed plenty of time between arrival and departure,) flights between LHR and EDI are as cheap as £67, which is way less than schlepping in from Heathrow to central London, then the train, let alone the overpriced sleeper.

Spend two or three days in Edinburgh, then take the train south either to Durham or York (both on the main east coast rail line) for a day in one of those stunning cities, then continue on the train down to London thence to Southampton. While in Edinburgh, if you wanted to see something of the Scottish countryside, you could book a day tour on Rabbie's (a small group tour company, highly regarded) to any number of destinations.
Scotland Tours | Rabbie's Small Group Tours (rabbies.com)
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
According to Opodo, both BA and Loganair fly direct from Edinburgh to Southampton which looks like the best way of optimising your time in Scotland. I might get the sleeper to Edinburgh and fly back.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 11:49 AM

It's only Loganair who fly direct EDI to SOU.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Coming from San Diego on overnight flight on August 2 (so arrive August 3), cruise leaves August 8 (I think we need to be onboard by 3PM), and yes, I used a BA companion ticket so already have those flights... I know it is so less than ideal, and hate rushed travel. But REALLY want to go to Edinburgh this trip! I think the advice of skipping Wales and doing one night in York or Durham and then the last night back near London or even Southampton seems wise and so much more do-able! I will research those 2 cities. Thank you!!
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your help! Telling hubby we will need to save Wales for another time... I think we will stay in Edinburgh for 3 nights so we have 2 full days there. And maybe get off on the train in York and explore on the way back down!

Last edited by LoveToTravel2008; Jan 13th, 2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by LoveToTravel2008
Thanks to you all for your help! Telling hubby we will need to save Wales for another time... I think we will stay in Edinburgh for 3 nights so we have 2 full days there. And maybe get off on the train in York and explore on the way back down!

If you mean stopping over in York en route south just for the day -- two details:

• You will need to buy 2 individual train tickets Edinburgh > York & York > London (in other words you can't book Edinburgh > London and just get off in York for a few hours)

• There is no Left Luggage at York Station but the EuropCar rental office about 100 yards up the street (next to the long stay car park) offers luggage storage