Search

Oaxaca day trips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2023, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oaxaca day trips

We will be in Oaxaca at the end of February for 7 nights (6 full days). I have a walking tour booked for the first day and a food tour booked on the 3rd day. We arrive late Tuesday evening.

I’d like to figure out how to organize perhaps 2 full day trips. I’m open to hiring a guide and driver, a small group, or getting a taxi and doing it on our own, although I don’t think I can really manage the sightseeing aspect without some guidance. We are used to hiring a private driver and guide, so that is my preference. I think we’d do an out of town trip on our second full day (Thursday) and perhaps a second day of touring over the weekend. I do see that it’s busy when we go as the one recommended guide I’ve contacted is already booked up and the food tour I signed us up for had limited openings.

So far, things that are of interest to me:
-Monte Alban (priority)
-Mitla
-a couple of crafts towns (not too commercial or too many, probably 2 at the most- weaving and pottery?)
-Hierve el Agua (?) Sounds lovely but is it too busy?
-Special market town(s) - Sunday?

We aren’t drinkers, so I think a mezcal tour would be lost on us.

Any additional sites/activities that are recommended? Any recommended guides/drivers?

How would you suggest we organize 2 days of day trips? All recommendations are welcome!

Last edited by progol; Jan 12th, 2023 at 06:53 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 08:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Good suggestions in the trip report you've discovered. We like the coffee vendor, Grano De Oro, in the Benito Juárez mercado. We're enjoying a medium roast right now.
While not necessarily full day trips, a couple visits we found interesting were the ex-convento Cuilapam where President Vicente Guerrero was imprisoned and executed. Perhaps a bit macabre, but an important event in Mexico's history. Still some frescoes remaining from the 16th century. Few tourists go.
https://www.oaxacalife.com/things-to...o-de-cuilapam/
Another place was the art center in San Pablo Etla. Old textile mill converted to an arts center.
Centro de las Artes de San Agustin ? Primer Centro de las Artes ecológico en latinoamerica
We've visited a couple of pottery makers over the years but we found them not so interesting. Ymmv.
We did visit Teotitlan more than once. Of course, the shops that do the weaving demonstrations are hoping that you will buy. They're interesting, no doubt, and where tours or drivers will typically take you. We bought some nice rugs from Casa Santiago. They didn't really do any demonstrations. Just showed their products.
Hierva may or may not be busy. It's a beautiful site, if you can fit it in, why not.
The central valley itinerary with mitla, tule, hierve, Teotitlan would for sure be a very full day.

​​​
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 11:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
For something completely different have a look at the ‘Hoofing It In Oaxaca’ website, guided hikes for all abilities. I enjoyed them immensely & met some nice people along the way.

https://www.hoofingitinoaxaca.com/

Here are 2 of my experiences:

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/bac...t-1-el-picacho

https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/bac...e-to-tilcajete

Old Jan 13th, 2023, 01:34 AM

You don't need a full day for Monte Alban. Half a day is more than enough. I used a taxi to go up early, walked from the gate to the entrance and had time to wander peacefully before the masses started to appear (I think the first Lesca shuttle and many tours arrive at 9 ). It isn't a huge site compared so if you read up ahead of time you don't really need a guide. Supposedly there are guides for hire hanging around the entrance. There is also a small museum at the entrance.

For the return to town I got tired of waiting for the Lesca bus which was not running on schedule, decided to take a seat in a taxi that had appeared in the bus parking lot. I suppose you could ask a taxi to wait for you. Three hours will be more than enough even with a museum visit.

I know that Corazon organizes some day tours, perhaps check their website. Hotel Con Corazon.

For those market towns, there should be tours you can find in town that go on their market days. If not then taxis can be arranged by your lodging. I wasn't in town on those particular days so did not look into the public transit options.

Unfortunately no Uber in Oaxaca and taxis charge what the market will bear. Don't be surprised if they ask for more than what your hotel tells you it should be.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 13th, 2023 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, baldone, MmePerdu, and mlgb! Everything looks wonderful and I’m already wondering when we’re going to make a return trip.

MmePerdu, I love the Hoofing it in Oaxaca site! It looks like a great way to spend the time. Unfortunately, the one day we would be able to do it has a moderate-to-difficult hike, and I’m afraid I’m not quite able to manage that level. But should we go back again….

mlgb, thank you! I hadn’t intended to spend a full day at Monte Alban! I was just wondering what other towns or sites could be combined with a trip there, but perhaps, as you suggest, we do it on our own and not worry about a driver and guide. Given our style, that might just work well.

I’m getting very excited about the trip!