Best base for Algarve and Andalusia

Old Jan 11th, 2023, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best base for Algarve and Andalusia

We will be flying into Faro in mid April to spend about two weeks. We would like to explore the area around the Algarve for 6 days then spend 7 nights in the Andalusia region. I like to spend a week in each place and use day trips to explore the region. I've looked at a variety of places in Andalusia but can't seem to narrow down where the best place to stay would be? I was thinking somewhere near Lagos for the Portugal part? Any suggestions on best central locations to stay? Thanks you.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 07:55 AM

Transport?
Where are you flying out?
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Will you have a rental car and fly out of Faro as well so as to return the car to the Faro airport to avoid the huge drop off fees incurred if dropping off the car In Spain?
And how far east into Andalucía from Faro do you want to travel?

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 11th, 2023 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are flying in and out of Faro. I have done some more research and this is what I am thinking. Everyone has told me that I need some nights in Seville so I put some in.
1. 5 nights in Lagos
2. 4 nights Seville
3 4 nights Zahara de la Sierra
4, 2 nights in Olhao (so we are near the airport)

What do you think?
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 12:11 PM

Just a couple of questions/comments, assuming from your itinerary you'll have a rental car:

1. Are you ok with flying into Faro, then driving west to Lagos, then backtracking east through Faro to drive northeast to Sevilla?

2. A car will be a handicap for 4 nights in Sevilla with the cost of garage parking and maneuvering through the narrow streets to reach your lodging, although... the Eurostars Regina has a good rate that includes parking + breakfast in a double room (16 meters).
https://www.eurostarshotels.co.uk/eurostars-regina.html

3. The drive from Sevilla to Zahara, southeast, will take about 1 hr. 45 min. (without sightseeing stops). For me 4 nights in very small Zahara de la Sierra would be too much, but perhaps you plan to do extensive hiking in the Serranía?

For me Ronda would be a better base simply because there's a larger variety of lodging and dining options, some nightlife and a plethora of day trips to other white towns. But it depends on what you want to accomplish in Zahara.

4. From Zahara de la Sierra to Olhão will take at least 3 hr. 30 min. and you´ll need to backtrack northwest to just below Sevilla, to turn west back to the Algarve. I use www.viamichelin.com for my driving route. I tried to attach the pdf, but couldn't for some reason.

5. While I've visited Olhão for its lively and interesting Saturday market, I haven't spent the night. Moorish-looking, whitewashed Tavira to me was more appealing, with its several pretty churches, its castle, more lodging, dining, sightseeing options than Olhão. That's why I chose it for my eastern Algarve base.

It took me 30 minutes on the super speedy toll road A22 w/o stops from Tavira to reach the Faro airport to turn in my rental car.

I would have initially said from Faro, go east to the Tavira area (rather than west to Lagos) then southeast to the Cádiz-Jerez-El Puerto de Santa Maria- Sanlùcar de Barrameda area, but I understand that you want to include Sevilla.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 11th, 2023 at 12:35 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses, Yes, I know we are backtracking some of our trip but that's ok. We don't mind driving and that is the area that we want to see. I will look into Ronda and maybe make that our third base so that we can check out the white towns. I had initially looked there but the mountains always draw me in and found Zahara de la Sierra and it is so beautiful! I haven't made any reservations so I can rearrange things. I will also look into Tavira. So many beautiful places in both Spain and Portugal!

When booking lodging do people have a favorite company? ?Air B&B, VRBO, Homeaway? I have used them all in the US but never overseas.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 04:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
start with booking.com
i've find boutique hotels and B&B on google maps
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:11 AM

Zahara is indeed very beautiful as is Grazalema and Olvera. Setenil de las Bodegas is very unusual as the cave-like homes are built into the rocks.

If you do decide on Zahara rather than Ronda, the Hotel Al Lago has gorgeous views of the reservoir and apartments (with a 2-night minimum). The Alojamiento el Pinsapo is a rural lodging with only 4 rooms. Both are on booking.com and have TA reviews.

https://al-lago.es
https://elpinsapo.com

For a short-term rental or a B&B or boutique hotel, I would start with booking.com, as bilboburgler suggests. Many airbnb properties can be found on booking.com as well.

In Ronda, over many years of visiting, I've stayed at the Catalonia Reina Victoria, the Soho Palacio de San Gabriel, the Parador and the very small 4-room Aire de Ronda (delightful hostess, great breakfasts, charming).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...e-ronda-hotel/

I've never booked an airbnb apartment in Ronda.

In Tavira we stayed out of town in a manor home, but there are many options now in Tavira at many different price levels. From Tavira we took a day trip to Castro Marim, Cacela Velha, Ayamonte across the border.

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 12th, 2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:35 AM

You might be a bit better served with Albufeira over Lagos, as it's more central. Lagos is classier, but it really is pretty small. Daytrips can then be some combination of [Lagos & Cabo Sao Vicente and parts in between]; [Alvor, Silves, Portimao]; [inland swing to Alte, Loule', Sao Bras de Alportel; brief stop in Faro center - - if you are around on a Saturday, definitely do the Loule' market then] plus one day to chill out in Albufeira. On your return, Tavira really is the better choice, though you might want to add visits to the fortress of Castro Marim, and the stunning whitewashed bluff town of Cacela Velha.