Dolomite Location for Hiking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We decided to change destinations for this year's fall vacation. Instead of the UK (thank you all for your helpful suggestions, probably nest year) we're going to the Dolomites. Here's our initial planning itinerary:

Zurich - 2 nights
St Anton am Arlberg - 3 nights
Innsbruck - 2 nights
Cortina d'Ampezzo - 5 nights
Hallstatt - 2 nights
Vienna - 3 nights

Our interests are light to moderate hiking with mountain views and, in the cities, food and architecture. So I have these questions:

1. Is Appenzell worth a stop between Zurich and St. Anton am Arlberg? Probably have to overnight if we do that.
2. Is St. Anton am Arlberg worth stopping in or should we just proceed to the Italian Dolomites?
3. Is Cortina d'Ampezzo the best place to stay for hiking in Parko Naturale Puez Geisler?
4. How about Bolzano (been there one time and liked it) or other place to stay for hiking?
5. What do you think of Hallstatt? I've only seen pictures.

We'll use trains from Zurich to Innsbruck and pick up a car there, then dropping it in Vienna. Thank you all for your suggestions!
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you particularly interested in Zurich? If not, I wouldn't waste 2 nights there if I had only 2 full days left for Vienna.
Appenzell is just 1 3/4 hrs by train from Zurich airport and 2 3/4 hrs from St. Anton am Arlberg. But here again, it would be rather a waste of time IMO.
If you really want to go to a scenic place in the Alps of Eastern Switzerland, head to the Upper Engadin Valley (Pontresina, Sils Maria...., 3 1/2 hrs by train from Zurich airport) and reach Innsbruck from there (4 hrs by train and bus down the scenic Lower Engadin/Upper Inn Valley).
Innsbruck - Cortina:
shortest itinerary via Bruneck/Brunico - Dobbiaco/Toblach; most scenic itinerary via Chiusa-Val Gardena - Ortisei - Sella Pass - Pordoi Pass - Falzarego Pass.
Cortina - Hallstatt:
shortest itinerary via Dobbiaco - Lienz - Spittal - Tauern motorway; most scenic itinerary via Dobbiaco - Lienz - Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse - Zell am See - Bischofshofen.
Best areas for moderate scenic hikes: Upper Engadin Valley; every place between Ortisei - Cortina d'Ampezzo - Dobbiaco/Toblach.

Last edited by neckervd; Jan 8th, 2023 at 04:28 AM.