Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Argentina -Visa and Mastercard doing exchange rates close to the blue dollar rate

Argentina -Visa and Mastercard doing exchange rates close to the blue dollar rate

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently in December the Argentinian government allowed for tourists to pay with their credit and debit cards at the MEP rate which is close to the 'blue dollar - black market' rate, instead of the official exchange rate. This is a huge saving as the blue dollar rates gives you almost double the official rate.

I'm heading there in a fortnight. Has anyone had any experience yet doing this or know more info about it and has it worked? If it works, it would be much better than carrying around a large amount of US dollars to exchange.

Old Jan 5th, 2023, 01:03 AM

There is a huge amount of comment re this on the Tripadvisor Argentine forum. Card providers have been slow to take up the new regime but many seem to be offering the new rates now. Check with your provider before leaving. If you need cash there then I would still take cash in the form of new bills and exchange on the street. ATMS are v expensive there and rarely work.
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Crellston, I will have a look there.