Search

Mexico City Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Mexico City Restaurants

We will be in Mexico City for none nights this spring, staying three different areas (Condesa, Centro Historico and the heart of Paseo de la Reforma), so we have many options. It can be expensive or cheap, just good. Ambiance is also important to us. I've heard lots about the cuisine in Mexico Ciity, but not much here. Any suggestions are appreciated. Gracias!
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico City is amazing for restaurants. I've eaten at and enjoyed the following "high end" places, in no order:

Pujol
Quintonil
Maximo Bistrot
Dulce Patria
Rosetta
I don' t eat fish, but friends loved Contramar

More casual places that were also good, especially liked Eno and Fonda Fina

Nicos, very old school, a bit out of the way, take an Uber
Fonda Fina
El Bajio
I think Biko has closed, but we ate there once
Hilaria Gastrobar
Eno by Enrique Olvera
La Unica

The above are places I can remember from two trips. Several taco places that I can't remember. I don't think we ever had a bad meal.

I found the website Eater very helpful for Mexico City.

Have fun!
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 03:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Oh my, so much to choose from. But a handful that we've enjoyed and can remember the names of. None expensive.
Taqueria El Tigre, Uruguay 80 in centro. Not elegant, but authentic.
Cafe Tacuba. Iconic breakfast spot.
Sanborn's in the Casa De Azulejos. Chain restaurant with decent food, but you go for the amazing ambiance.
Porco Rosso on Zacatecas in Roma Norte. BBQ, and craft beer on tap. Sometimes you just don't want Mexican. Shared picnic table seating.
Mercado Roma. Lots of casual stalls. Close to Condesa, just walk through and see what's cookin. Kind of a hipster place, but fun. I forget which counter we ate at.
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 04:37 PM

And I’m following this thread, too!
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just wanted to add that the Cafe de Tacuba is open for lunch and dinner as well. I've enjoyed several dinners there. Last time I was there they were featuring a mescal/hibiscus (jamaica) margarita as well. Quite nice.
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 05:57 PM

The tostada place inside the Coyoacan Market, with the big yellow signs. Fun but chaotic atmosphere, good to compare their versions with the LA versions.(shrimp ceviche with avocado, also one with nopalitos). I ate a lot of street food, much of it memorable and better than what I ate at the upscale Fodorite-recommended restaurants in Oaxaca and Puebla. I think the only other "sit down" meal I had was another place around the Coyoacan square. There are many good coffee shops, ice cream stands and bakeries (Esperanza was one I mentioned in my trip report). Follow the security guards was my MO. I also had a cup of champurrado one chilly morning, from a vendor right outside the Stanza.

Mercado San Juan is another foodie type market near the center where tourists go to take photos of things like scorpions on a skewer.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 5th, 2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to CDMX since before the pandemic, but remember enjoying Maximo Bistrot quite a bit for a more upscale meal.

There is a very good current (Dec. 2022) food report with lots of photos on Hungry Onion:
https://www.hungryonion.org/t/mexico...r-2022/32716/7

Last edited by Leely2; Jan 6th, 2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 04:12 AM

I found this site; it should keep you (and me!) busy!
Favorite Spots 2022 | The Curious Mexican
Old Jan 7th, 2023, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by progol
I found this site; it should keep you (and me!) busy!
Favorite Spots 2022 | The Curious Mexican
I like that site, progol.
Old Jan 28th, 2023, 05:48 AM

Hola Maitaitom!

Here are some restaurants we liked on our last visit:

El Huequito, Ayuntamiento 21, several blocks south of the cathedral: the best tacos al pastor in the universe; a little hole in the wall on a very nondescript block, recommended by food guru fodorite ekscrunchy
Azul Condesa, Nuevo Leon 68; 7 kinds of mole; we ate here just after returning to Mexico City after staying in Oaxaca and enjoying all those wonderful Oaxacan mole dishes; I joked to the waiter here that we were full of Oaxacan mole and wondered if MC could equal that...and Azul Condesa in fact did; excellent. Get the enchiladas filled with soft cheese and covered in mole negro.
Capital, Nuevo Leon 137; a happy, buzzy place; get the Tikin Xic - marinated fish Yucatan style, plus great mezcal margaritas
Casa Lamm: Alvaro Obregon 99; this is a cultural center; serves great lunch on a nice terrace
Merotoro: Amsterdam 204; fine dining in a "non-fine" relaxed, un-snobby place; we asked the waiter to just pick and choose things for us like a menu degustacion; we had tuna ceviche and tuna tartar for apps, then two kinds of fish entrees, and other tasty things
Maximo Bistro: Calle Tonala 133; an outstanding and very friendly place. There's a great story about this place--it's very popular and a few years ago the bratty daughter of a government minister walked in without a reservation, demanded a table, was refused, then she got daddy to close the place down "for health reasons"...media uproar, the president forced daddy the minister to resign. Back to the restaurant: the meal was so good I took notes: We had heritage bean soup, squash blossoms stuffed with burrata, tuna sashimi with wilted swiss chard, salmon and sea urchin, and tagliatelle with ragout of duck and wild mushrooms. Smooth, low-key professional service. A real treat. Be sure to reserve days ahead.
Nonna: corner of Amsterdam and Michoacan, a few blocks from the Red Tree House, where we were staying. We had been enjoying lots of good food (see above) so wanted something very simple for a late, light Sunday evening meal after a big lunch at Maximo Bistro and this was it--good pizza and beer.

There are several good little taco places around Parque Mexico, near Red Tree House.

Moving away from food...have you seen the movie "Roma"? If not, do see it before your trip, set in the Roma district just about 15 minute walk from Red Tree House (which is in Condesa district). The family home shown in the movie is located on Tepeji 21.

When are you going to Mexico City? We will be there, at the Red Tree House, in late Feb.

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

When are you going to Mexico City?

Not until Spring. Thanks for the info. I do have reservations for Azul, but it's the one in Centro Histórico
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:29 AM

While this is not a restaurant, it is listed as one of the Top 50 bars in the world and two blocks from The Red Tree House:

​​​​​​https://www.worlds50bestbars.com/the...altra-bar.html

Also Not sure I saw Rosetta listed above.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 11:05 AM

We had a great 5 days in Mexico City in March last year.
For restaurants we especially enjoyed Filigrana and Meroma both in Roma/Condesa.
We also had a wonderful evening on this food tour: https://eatmexico.com/food-tour/narv...chelas-mezcal/
Enjoy the planning!
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Laurie_Ann, Tracy and I would love to do a food tour.
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 09:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Following along -- Tom, I assume you will do one of your wonderful TRs from this trip? Going anywhere other than MexCity?
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

"Going anywhere other than MexCity?"

We're there all nine days ... Kim and Mary are passing this one up, but a couple of other Aztec (SDSU) friends will be joining us to learn more about the Aztecs. I hope we don't get confused.
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maitaitom
"Going anywhere other than MexCity?"

We're there all nine days ... Kim and Mary are passing this one up, but a couple of other Aztec (SDSU) friends will be joining us to learn more about the Aztecs. I hope we don't get confused.
have fun! Its a great city. I’ve been reviewing your Piedmont TR.
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 11:56 AM

Check out my just posted trip report.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

EYWandBTV - Could you tell me a little bit about Merotoro? That is where we'll be dining the first night. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -