Search

Jadrolinja overnight ferry: Dubrovnik -> Bari

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jadrolinja overnight ferry: Dubrovnik -> Bari

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to know when the Jadrolinja ferries (or any other available ones) start showing timetables for 2023 trips? We are planning to take the overnight ferry on Thursday 1st June 2023 from Dubrovnik to Bari (and then train to Rome). At the moment, most of our Dubrovnik/Rome itinerary depends on this ferry but we can't confirm anything as the timetables are not out yet.

Dubrovnik to Bari is our preferred route as we will be spending most of our time in Dubrovnik.
We've looked into other options just in case:
- Overnight ferry Split to Ancona (3hr drive from Dubrovnik to Split + 3hr train from Ancona to Rome - bit too much time spent on transport)
- Flight from Dubrovnik -> Rome (flights on 1st June are all connecting flights, and we don't really want to worry too much about delayed flights. Would much prefer direct)
- Flight from Split -> Rome (there are direct flights on the 1st June, however may be stressful if we fly on the same day as our arrival to Split. Gives about 2-3 hrs between arriving in Split and catching the flight)

There's a lot of things to factor in but any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Afaik the ferry will arrive at Bari Friday at 8am. So, you cannot be sure to catch the 8.46 train to Rome (ar 12.55). The next train leaves Bari at 12.46 and arrives at Rome at 16.55, only 1 hr before the direct (and much cheaper) plane from Dubrovnik lands at Fiumicino airport.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Afaik the ferry will arrive at Bari Friday at 8am. So, you cannot be sure to catch the 8.46 train to Rome (ar 12.55). The next train leaves Bari at 12.46 and arrives at Rome at 16.55, only 1 hr before the direct (and much cheaper) plane from Dubrovnik lands at Fiumicino airport.
Thanks Neckervd, just wondering - are there ferry services on Thursdays? We worry that there's no service based on previous timetables showing departures from Dubrovnik on Mon, Fri & Sat.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this is helpful but when we stayed in Rovinj years ago we took a photo of a ferry that had just arrived from Italy. The boat had Venezia Lines on the sign. Perhaps another option, if they are still operating.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by KayF
I don't know if this is helpful but when we stayed in Rovinj years ago we took a photo of a ferry that had just arrived from Italy. The boat had Venezia Lines on the sign. Perhaps another option, if they are still operating.
Venezia Lines only operates in summer season in the Istrian Peninsula from Pula and up to Piran (and not every day for Piran) over to Venice. It is intended as a tourist "day trip" to Venice. It is not exactly the most reliable for scheduling as they frequently are delayed, too.

The OP is coming from Dubrovnik, this probably would not be a viable option but absolutely a decent idea if someone was going to be in Istria to get to Venice that way.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
Rovinj is a bit too far for us to get to from Dubrovnik, but thank you for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
Venezia Lines only operates in summer season in the Istrian Peninsula from Pula and up to Piran (and not every day for Piran) over to Venice. It is intended as a tourist "day trip" to Venice. It is not exactly the most reliable for scheduling as they frequently are delayed, too.

The OP is coming from Dubrovnik, this probably would not be a viable option but absolutely a decent idea if someone was going to be in Istria to get to Venice that way.
Hi Travel_Nerd,
Since you mention the ferries are delayed, do you happen to have any experience or know if the Jadrolinja ferries are delayed often too? I'm hoping (based on other reviews on tripadvisor) that the ferry usually departs on time. We will also be travelling beginning of June so maybe just avoiding peak travel?
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 06:05 PM

I do not recall any significant delays, no. Inclement weather may impact the schedules, though. In June, you should be fine, though (hopefully).

Were you able to glean their prior schedules from previous summers? I do not think they change much from year to year, except for maybe 2020. I have not taken the Bari route myself, so I wish I could be more help. There is a generic website, Croatia Ferries or something like that - it may be helpful to get an idea.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Jan 4th, 2023 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
I do not recall any significant delays, no. Inclement weather may impact the schedules, though. In June, you should be fine, though (hopefully).

Were you able to glean their prior schedules from previous summers? I do not think they change much from year to year, except for maybe 2020. I have not taken the Bari route myself, so I wish I could be more help. There is a generic website, Croatia Ferries or something like that - it may be helpful to get an idea.
I feel like I haven't heard much about Jadrolinja! We have looked on websites like Croatia Ferries but I guess the anticipation of waiting for a new timetable is stressful haha. Although hopefully will be out soon given that the 2022 timetable came out 8th Jan!
Anyways, thanks a lot for your help
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 12:37 AM

The timetables for the Jadrolinija lines Zadar - Ancona, Dubrovnik - Bari and Bar - Bari are not yet published indeed, but i think they will come very soon.
But you are right: the once daily ferry service was drastically reduced in the lasts (Covid) years.
I'm really nosey to see what they will offer for 2023.
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
The timetables for the Jadrolinija lines Zadar - Ancona, Dubrovnik - Bari and Bar - Bari are not yet published indeed, but i think they will come very soon.
But you are right: the once daily ferry service was drastically reduced in the lasts (Covid) years.
I'm really nosey to see what they will offer for 2023.
Oh! I had no idea they originally did daily services. Fingers crossed for this year!