Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 stops in Greece...Athens, Santorini, Naxos..sound about right?

Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we are a youthful couple in our early 60s planning a first-time trip to Greece this September (2023). We can spare about 10 days all told from our work. We live in NYC so we don't need tons of high-end shopping or raucus nightlife. We do love great food, cultural sites, beaches, some moderate intensity hiking, and poking around places on our own to discover a local, relaxing scene. Not against a cocktail or two in the evenings, but def not clubbing!

With that in mind, I *think* I've settled on:
3 sleeps in Athens (flying direct from NYC)
2 sleeps in Santorini (flying direct from Athens)
4 sleeps in Naxos (ferry from Santorini)
1 more sleep in Athens before we fly back home (flying from Naxos to Athens)

Questions:
* Does that look about right in how we're allocating our time? I don't want to pack/unpack more than this.
* I feel like we must *do* Santorini for a few nights since we've never been and it's so stunning, but since we don't need/love crowds/hyper-touristy feel, we'd do more nights on a smaller island, such as Naxos. Sound right?
* Was very torn between Paros and Naxos. Since Naxos seems a little more chill and we don't need high-end boutques and nightlife (got plenty of that at home in NYC), Naxos won me over. BUT I do have 2 concerns: 1) a day trip to Antiparos from Paros sounded intriguting. Will I regret giving up on that? 2) people say Naxos is very family-friendly. I don't want places over-run by kids...been there, done that. Will it not be like that? Am I overthinking/overreacting?
* I've been told to consider hotels over Airbnbs in Athens for their lovely breakfasts and central locations. Thinking of 360Degrees Pop Art Hotel. Any thoughts?
* We are avid Airbnb'ers. Once we're settled into the islands, I like the idea of waking up to my own kitchen to make a quick breakfast, etc. Should I explore Airbns in Santorini and Naxos or should we stick to hotels/resorts?

Thank you in advance! We are very excited!
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 10:49 AM

That’s as good an itinerary as any, but recommend leaving Athens for the end of the trip. There are several daily flights from Athens to Santorini with the two Greek based airlines, Aegean Airlines (which includes Olympic Air) & Sky Express, and I would choose one of the two, not one of the foreign budget airlines that also fly that route. That way you gain an extra day on the islands, and get over jet lag in a more relaxed setting than Athens. It also insures you are back on the mainland in plenty of time before the flight home.

Actually Naxos is much larger than Santorini, in fact it’s the largest island in the Cyclades. Santorini is only about 10 or 12 miles long and 3 miles wide, in a crescent shape from Oia to Akrotiri, with the caldera on one side and black sand beaches on the other. Naxos is developed mainly in the southwest corner of the island, including Naxos Town and the western beaches. The rest of the island is mountainous with small picturesque villages, and good hiking trails.

There is lots to do on Naxos, and four nights will fly by. If you really want to, and have the time, you could take a day trip from Naxos to Paros, and maybe even squeeze a couple of hours on Antiparos, which you will find is the most chilled in September of the islands you plan to visit (August is another story).

I have mixed feelings on AirBnBs, but if you like them that’s up to you. I had a glorious two week stay in an AirBnB in a beach suburb of Cape Town, South Africa for my daughter’s wedding, but AirBnBs take away too much affordable housing on small Greek Islands. I’m told that some of the teachers who come to the islands for the start of the school year in September have nowhere to stay until after the tourist season, and end up sleeping wherever they can.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jan 3rd, 2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 11:21 AM

Heimdall is right about leaving Athens for the end of your trip and flying straight to Santorini. We live in MA, and last May we flew on Swissair from Boston direct to Santorini with a layover in Zurich. This was all on one ticket. We did open-jaw (multi-city): Boston to Santorini with a layover in Zurich, and then Athens to Boston with a layover in Toronto. The benefit, IMO, to booking all on one ticket is that if we missed our flight from Zurich to Santorini, the airline would be responsible for booking us on another flight. And we didn't have to worry about our luggage. We don't see our luggage until we arrive in Santorini.

Santorini is touristy and crowded, but the caldera views are stunning and well worth it to visit at least once in your lifetime. We had 3 nights on Santorini, and one day we rented a car and drove around the island to visit the Akrotiri Archaeological site, the lighthouse, red sand beach, and black sand beach. There is more to Santorini than just the stunning caldera views!

We also spent 4 nights on Naxos, and that worked well for us. We rented a car for a day and toured around the island, visiting lovely mountain villages and fishing villages and had delicious fresh seafood at outdoor tavernas about a foot from the Aegean. It was one of our favorite days of our trip.

You can easily take the Blue Star Ferry from Santorini to Naxos. It's about a 2-hour trip. When it was time to depart Naxos, we flew on Aegean Airlines to Athens Airport where we picked up a rental car to visit the Peloponnese Peninsula. Then we ended with 4 nights in Athens.

Paros sounds wonderful, too. I was considering Paros in addition to Santorini and Naxos, but then decided to visit the Peloponnese Peninsula instead of 3 islands. (Our trip was longer than yours.) So I don't have firsthand knowledge of Paros, but I remember thinking it sounds wonderful from my research. I'm sure you will be happy with either Paros or Naxos.
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

ooh, that's interesting....Athens at the end. Also SO embarrassed for calling Naxos a small island. Santorini looms so large in the American mind as the "IT" island that I slipped with my language. I have to tinker with this idea and now my husband talked me into taking a few more days, so I have to also consider if I do antother destination or just add more days here and there to what we have.
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 07:19 PM

How many nights are you adding to your trip? You could add a night to Santorini and a night to Athens. Or if you are adding more than 2 nights to your trip, one possibility is to do what we did and spend at least 3 nights in Nafplio on the Peloponnese Peninsula. Nafplio is beautiful, located on the water, and you can visit many wonderful ancient ruins from Nafplio, such as Mycenae and Epidauros. We spent 5 nights in Nafplio and we were never bored. So much to see and do in this area.

Or you could spend the extra nights in Paros, and take the day trip to Antiparos. That sounded very intriguing to me, too. BTW, when we were on Naxos last May, it was not over-run with young families. Not at all. I don't think you will have that problem in September because school children will be back in school then.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 01:46 AM

Most of us recommend fewer islands than more, but if you add a few extra days, and since you expressed an interest in Antiparos, that would make a good case for adding Paros/Antiparos to your itinerary.

Santorini, Naxos and Paros are all on the same main ferry route back to Athens, and finishing on Paros will leave you one hour closer to Athens (Piraeus) if you return by ferry. Should you choose to return by air, Paros has a bigger airport than Naxos with more flights on larger aircraft. Naxos has probably the shortest runway in the Cyclades at only 900 meters in length. That ‘honor’ previously went to Paros until they built the new airport.

I hesitate to hype Antiparos, because it is in danger of overdevelopment, but that is another reason for going there now rather than later. Years ago I took a day trip from Paros to Antiparos and fell in love with the island at first sight. The next day I packed my bags, checked out of the Paros hotel, moved to Antiparos, and have been going there ever since. Now I take day trips to Paros from Antiparos. That’s easy to do, because the Antiparos-Pounta ferry leaves every 30 minutes throughout the day, and takes only 7 minutes to cross.

July and August are very busy, but September on Antiparos is sublime. Many couples of your age go to Antiparos in September when the kids are back in school and beaches uncrowded. I’ve never had to book a restaurant table in September, as there are many empty tables after high season.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 01:30 PM

Welcome KC. I will write a Little about my experience going to several of the islands. My husband and I went to Greece in September 2016. He was 70, I was 59. (Added so you can see our activity level and likes). On the recommendations of fellow fodorites, we took the plane from Athens to Naxos. Best advice ever. We were told the hi speed ferry makes many nauseous and take 3 hrs and the regular ferry takes many more hours. The plane was so fast that we went up, had a snack and landed shortly afterwards! We rented a car for the days we were on Naxos. It was very easy to drive there. We spent 4 nights on Naxos. We drove up into the mountains and visited several different villages. We went to several beaches. One disappointment was the fact that the water was much colder than I expected and one of the beaches was very, very windy. I just assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the water would be warmer after the heat of the whole summer. We walked around the town of Naxos and enjoyed several nice meals. They have a special cheese from Naxos that we ordered and enjoyed very much. We walked to the temple of Apollo and the Portera (gate) around sunset. We enjoyed the island very much. After 4 nights, we took the ferry to Santorini, which took about 3 hours and it was a very smooth sailing.

We arrived in the port of Fira, the main town, and took the local bus to Firostephani, where our hotel was. We stayed for 3 nights overlookingj the caldera. We walked along the trail back to Fira to have a look around. We did rent a car for one day, to visit the archeological site of Akrotiri and visit the black sand beach, which was nearby. I found the water warmer here, maybe because the beach was sheltered by mountains on the side. The black sand was burning hot. We also drove a little around several villages. I think there is more to see in Naxos and a more authentic environment. I also thought the food was better in Naxos. People in this country are more familiar with Santorini and Mykonos. Many more Europeans travel to Naxos.

I did get much good advice from everyone here . Many of the people that are answering are frequent Greece travelers. I will continue our trip on another note. I hope this is of some help to you.

Old Jan 5th, 2023, 09:34 AM

After our time in Santorini, we flew back to Athens and rented a car and drove to Nafplion. It’s a beautiful small city, the original capital of modern Greece, before Athens. Streets are narrow and parking took some time, but doable. Nice center square; everyone out and about at night. There are many nearby things to see. The beaches are very close, small, and the water was warm in September.
there is a lovely fortress above the city, built by the Venetians, with a stunning view. Nearby are several archeological sites. We visited the ancient city of Mycenae. It is very sunny and hot there, not much shade. Your can also go to the theater at Epidaurus, which we did not go to. We stayed several nights in Nafplion, can’t remember how many, but def worth a visit. Then we left and drove north to see family. If you are in central Greece, Meteora is a must see.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 07:28 PM

The itinerary we planned for early Sept 2024 is Athens 2 nights, Fly to Santorini, 3 nights (deciding Fira or Oia), Naxos, 3 nights, Paros 4 nights day trip to Antiparos and back to Athens and stay by the airport for a flight out the next morning. Now that I am reading your reviews, would you recommend we do a different order. It's my understanding that it's best to do Athens first since our flight in might be delayed. Recommendations are appreciated and hotel choices. We are active 62 year olds and this is a long overdue trip for our 60th birthdays.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 02:19 PM

SG, Since your Greece stay is quite short, you need to be strategic in travel, and flyling to Santorini immediately on arrival is the most efficient sequence. When you say "its my understanding" we don't know who told you and what their circumstances were -- that is key. I'm guessing that you're from N. America -- and, IF you choose a flight that goes nonstop from Canada or Eastern US and Athens, these flights all land in the AM -- between 9 - 11 or so. PLUS, they are about 99.9% exactly on time, even if they're delayed in take-off. Why? because they have all that stretch across Atlantic, to make it up.

If you choose (for budget or because "points" require it) to book an airline that requires a plane change at a European airport, you wont arrive ATH until after 12 or 1 pm or later. And any delays will occur at that European "change" due to busy airports. However, even so, in September, the chance of it is less. Your first island is Santorini, and due to its popularity, there are mANY daily flights until late at night. Thus, virtually NO risk in flying on Day #1 - and its easier getting over jet lag on the slower pace of an isle. In addition, a few days in isles helps you learn "Greek ways" so you'lll be more efficient in sightseeing in bustling world capital. Finally, 8 days immersion in Greece will make Athens famous landmarks resonate SO much more. As a vet of 13 trips to Greece, 9 of them with newcomers, I can testify this works. And Karen Woo, whom I advised, will second the motion.

In Santorini, since you are active, I suggest you also consider the often-overlooked FIROSTEPHANI -- it's really in the "sweet spot" -- on the caldera, with many hotels with splendid caldera view but ideally sited, on the north Fringe of Fira, away from the hubbub but an easy short walk down the rim path to its delights. Also has bus stops to get to/from OIA, so no need to rent car unless you want. Frankly 48 hours will give you the highlights and thus spare a bit more time for other places. If you want a "mini-cruise" take the 3:15 BLUE STAR (economy fare) and sit on back deck 2 hours. i would recommend more time on Naxos 4 nights, less on Paros. then fly/ferry back too mainland for final 3 nights.

NAXOS - in September I suggest staying Ag Giorgios beach adjacent to the Port Town ... a 10-min walk to all the amenities, wonderful sits on the port promenade as town turns gold in sunset. on Ag. G, check Hotel Palatia w balcony on sea view -- I've sent many people there who loved it -- Also studios Kalergia - ALL rooms balcony on sea. Since yr time limited i highly recommend the local bus co 1-day t our of all highlight, inclluding noonday swim -http://www.naxosbustransfer.com/ ... then u cd rent car for a day to explore further... for outer beaches, Plaka is wonderful in sept & sea is divine. If u start a new thread can recommend restaurants, Naxos has become notable for iboth modern & traditionial cuisine using local fresh produce and meats,.. it is a fertile agricultural isle & its potatoes are famous across europe!

PAROS/ANTIPAROS - I'm going to suggest a reverse -- STAY on Antiparos and day-visit Paros... the tiny 10-minute ferry runs early & late.. This link describes a great day-trip to Paros highlights --https://agreekoddity.com/monday-24th-june-2013-a-day-trip-to-paros/ ,,, Antiparos is SO walkable to lovely beaches NOT covered w tavernas, like this : https://antiparos.com/explore/psaraliki-beach/ -- and if u are super-lucky, you can stay at this great place just uphill 50 yarda - http://www.thalasea.gr/ -- Here are some views of Antiparos... which is magical ta night with its Agora (market lane) lit up with lanterns --
/
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:14 PM

Travelerjan, Thanks so much for your generosity in taking the time with all of your comments! You are a gift! I am coming from NY/NJ area so yes, North America. We are flying United on points, but it is a direct flight. I will look into getting flights immediately to Santorini as suggested. SANTORINI: After a little research, I had looked into staying in firostephani-- and a hotel that was recommended is Homeric Poems? In Fira, Volcanic View hotel was mentioned from someone who visited. I'm open to suggestions and would like a Caldera view.

NAXOS: I'm glad you suggested Ag Giorgos. I will look into your hotel recommendations. Another recommendation was Naxian on the Beach on Plaka? Do you recommend we rent a car for a day or more in Naxos?

PAROS/Antiparos: I didn't think if I only had 3 days I could do both AntiParos and Paros. We do like walking through shops (my husband is in the fashion business) Antipars does look magical! My son stayed in Paros and felt like he didn't have enough time to go to AntiParos (or with your suggestion enough time to see Paros?). Also, we thought ending in Paros would have us end with the islands being relaxing vs. trekking around Athens? Do you have hotel recommendations in Paros or AntiParos? Hotel Senia was recommended? Should we stay in the Noussa area on Paros (if we stay there?) because a pretty resort we saw in Chriss Atki, but it seemed too far out or one on Punda Beach.

ATHENS: Stay in PLAKA? Recommendations?

And yes, any restaurant recommendations are welcome!!!! THANKS!!!
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 09:04 AM

IN Answer to SG's Queries --

ATHENS 1st vs Last - Please llist to those uf us who've visited Greece many itmes, & w newcomers; believe me, last is best; doing it first, it will be a blur; last - you'll be savvy, know how to maximize experience. ANd nothing like a last-night dinner on terrace w parthenon view, under moon. Hotels? After many visits (15?) I'm settled liking best the area just South of Acropolis precinct - it's Greener., low-heights, away from trafficky wide boulevard (raceways), close to landmarks, many no-car lanes, lovely wide treefringed promenade all along s. side of Acropolis. Look at Hotel Herodion, Hotel Phillipos, Hotel Hera, Airotel Parthenon, (nw & upscale same area) Athenswas. Check TA reviews wi Tips for best rooms & request. And please, don't stay at Airport last night - better to book Dep Flight no earlier than 10 am, then must be i line 8am,You can book Citycab or WelcomePickups for 7am at a Central Ath Hotel.. and have that great last night in a fab city.

SANTORINI - Firostephani has many caldera-view places. browse on https://www.booking.com/city/gr/firostefani.html - it shows exact locations, u see what's handiest (use pvt window so Bkg won't Cookie you & automatically give $$$ places). Since Sept not burny-hot & short stay, a pool not vital. Some places I like = Hotel Mylos, Villa Ilias, Blue Dolphins, Agnadema Apts, Hotel Sunset. For great dinner view 1st night - Hotel Remvi (avoid Oia crowds!). If u stay Fira, Agree VV is swell - outside down but shuttle service. OIA-visiting strategy. Either get 8 am bus or taxi (€25) to arrive 8:30, have 2 hrs before huge throngs invade (yes even in Sept); also avoid sunsets there! https://tinyurl.com/4js8e8t8 When mobs arrive, take bus away.

NAXOS - Restaurants: on Plaka beach Petrino & Nikki & Maria, in port town, To Elliniko, Nostimon Hellas, To Kastro Also, on Port Promenade upstairs Boulamatsis, longstanding, best fish & chips ever! gret view of port, sunset. Hotels -- In Sept, Ag. Giorgios is most efficient, go Plaka for "beach day" or Restaurants like Petrino, Nikos & Maria. for Nightlife, check music at Flamingo (entry on street Back from harbor for music scene). Re CAR: - reread my post! I did recommend - if you need automatic, email to reserve ahead, they're scarce. ALSO - cars are 24-hr basis. If u want early start (ile 9 am), best to pick up car the evening before & park by hotel -- rental agencies are uh sluggish in AM, and a 9am pickup may turn into 10:30. Then u can just drop it before dinnertime.

PAROS - I'm going to stick with my recommend of more time Naxos (it is FAR richer in antiquites AND stunning landscapes!), less on Paros. The TWO places you'll want to visit in Paros for boutique shops are Parikia (port town) and Naoussa. Parikia is a quick ZIP from Antiparos & its winding "Agora" (market street) maze has shops applenty PLUS has BESt ancient site-seeing. Naoussa a quick busride.. nice for lunch.. but frankly this former fishing-village has become a 'fake-pretty" Potemkin Village, does have lots of v upscale fashion shops, but not real anymore. I've stayed 4 times in Paros, once in Antiparos, and lost my heart to it forever. Nighttime is magic
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 10:43 AM

Instead of a separate flight Athens to Santorini, you want a flight NY to Santorini. That way, if the flight out of NY is late and you miss the connecting flight out of Athens, they have to put you on a subsequent flight. If that flight is on a separate ticket and you miss it, you're out of luck and you have to buy a new ticket out of Athens. (Just because you have a direct flight to Athens doesn't stop you from having to stop in Athens for the flight to Santorini.)

When I flew out of NY, the flight out of NY was VERY late and I missed the connection in Athens by a lot. Since it was all on one ticket, they put me on a much later flight.
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 10:49 AM

With the development of the archeological site on Despotiko (reached from Antiparos), there are more antiquities to see than on Naxos. The site is still under excavation, with more being revealed each year. The site will eventually become an open-air museum similar to Delos, but as far as I know is still free to enter. You pay Captain Sargos to take you and return from/to Agios Georgios (San Giorgio) at the south of Antiparos.

Antiparos also has a stalactite cave which has been visited by notables for hundreds of years, thankfully now with steps to get you to the bottom. Antiparos has gone upmarket in recent years, and there are many boutique shops, including one with handmade jewellery, on the street that leads from the harbour to the castle.

https://greekreporter.com/2023/08/21/kouros-ancient-greek-sanctuary-despotiko/

https://greekreporter.com/2023/06/02...island-greece/

Last edited by Heimdall; Jan 15th, 2024 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction
Old Jan 15th, 2024, 11:26 AM

I agree with SusanP about booking a flight from NY direct to Santorini, and all on one ticket. When we went to Greece in May 2022, we flew from Boston to Santorini via Zurich on United/Swissair. This was all on one ticket. The advantage, as SusanP says, is that if you miss your flight from your connecting city to Santorini, the airline is responsible for putting you on the next available flight. We did not miss our flight so that wasn't a problem. We had a 4-hour layover in Zurich, so that gives some leeway if your flight leaves late, and it was a leisurely layover with time for breakfast. No running through airports! Another advantage to having your flights all on one ticket is that we didn't see our luggage until we arrived in Santorini. Easy peasy.

SGweinreb18, for hotel recommendations, we stayed at Blue Dolphins in Firastefani, recommended by travelerjan. Had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the caldera. Price was about $230 per night. We loved our stay here.

In Naxos, we stayed at Hotel Palatia that travelerjan recommends. Another fabulous place, about a 10-minute walk to Old Town. Manos, the owner, is very nice and very helpful. Our room rate was about $75.00 per night.

In Athens we stayed at the Aerotel Parthenon, again recommended by travelerjan, Excellent location, right around the corner from the Plaka. 5-10 minute walk from the Acropolis. Tons of restaurants nearby. About $140 per night. The included breakfast buffet was mediocre but there are many restaurants nearby for breakfast, if you choose to do that.

Some favorite restaurants:
Santorini
To Briki - we had a delicious and filling breakfast here. They serve lunch and dinner, too.
Aktaion - Dinner - one of the best meals of our trip
Restaurant Remvi - delicious meal on their deck overlooking the caldera - stunning sunset

Naxos
Meltemi Restaurant - delicious dinner, friendly owner
To Elleniko - another delicious dinner with very pretty outdoor dining
Avaton 1739 - had drinks here; rooftop restaurant
If you rent a car to explore the island, go to Moutsouna fishing village and eat at the Fish Net, right on the water. One of the best meals of our trip. very fresh fish and shellfish.
Soulatski - delicious and filling breakfast. Located in the Main Square. Lots of locals eating here.

Athens
The Old Tavern of Psarras - in the Plaka
Geros Tou Moria - in the Plaka
Have lunch at the Athens Central Market

Last edited by KarenWoo; Jan 15th, 2024 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 07:22 PM

Thanks!