Inntel Hotel in Zaandam?

Search

Inntel Hotel in Zaandam?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inntel Hotel in Zaandam?

Anyone know if Inntel Hotel in Zaandam is a good base for exploring Amsterdam? Our relatives are in Krommenie and we'll also do day trips south to Utrecht, Kinderdijk, Rotterdam & the Hague.
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 05:07 AM

I have stayed there, quite a cool hotel, but on a short business stopover where I amused myself by visiting Zaanse Schans. There is very frequent train service into downtown Amsterdam and reasonably frequent service to your other destinations, with Kinderdijk being the only challenge. If getting quickly onto a train is your priority, sure. The surroundings are your basic commercial district/suburb, so not very atmospheric.
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTOttawa
I have stayed there, quite a cool hotel, but on a short business stopover where I amused myself by visiting Zaanse Schans. There is very frequent train service into downtown Amsterdam and reasonably frequent service to your other destinations, with Kinderdijk being the only challenge. If getting quickly onto a train is your priority, sure. The surroundings are your basic commercial district/suburb, so not very atmospheric.
Thank you for your impressions. We'll be there for a week so the lack of atmosphere may be an issue. I love Hotel Sebastian right in the heart of Amsterdam but it's double the price. Will have to do some thinking on this. Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Follena
Thank you for your impressions. We'll be there for a week so the lack of atmosphere may be an issue. I love Hotel Sebastian right in the heart of Amsterdam but it's double the price. Will have to do some thinking on this. Thanks!
Public transport is so easy between Zaandam and Amsterdam that those are easy daytrips. Also Haarlem is near, with a change at Amsterdam Sloterdijk and so are The Hague, Delft and Rotterdam via Sloterdijk and Schiphol. Zaandam itself has an interesting and historic centre of town and from Zaandam to the north you have easy access to the historical Zuiderzee cities of Hoorn and Enkhuizen. Alkmaar is also very doable. I think it's a great base for excursions.

Adding that beyond the area of the Zaandam train station, "downtown" is only a short walk

This walking tour shows you what's to be seen:
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menachem
Public transport is so easy between Zaandam and Amsterdam that those are easy daytrips. Also Haarlem is near, with a change at Amsterdam Sloterdijk and so are The Hague, Delft and Rotterdam via Sloterdijk and Schiphol. Zaandam itself has an interesting and historic centre of town and from Zaandam to the north you have easy access to the historical Zuiderzee cities of Hoorn and Enkhuizen. Alkmaar is also very doable. I think it's a great base for excursions.

Adding that beyond the area of the Zaandam train station, "downtown" is only a short walk

This walking tour shows you what's to be seen:
Thank you for such a good reply to my question. I watched the video and see we could have easily chosen Zaandam as a base. My sister-in-law wanted an apartment so we are now staying in an old bath house that was converted to apartments. I'm happy with her choice. It's in Tuindorp Oostzaan neighborhood. I'd share a link but I'm not allowed yet. Thank you again!

Old Jan 6th, 2023, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Follena
Thank you for such a good reply to my question. I watched the video and see we could have easily chosen Zaandam as a base. My sister-in-law wanted an apartment so we are now staying in an old bath house that was converted to apartments. I'm happy with her choice. It's in Tuindorp Oostzaan neighborhood. I'd share a link but I'm not allowed yet. Thank you again!
Tuindorp Oostzaan is a hidden gem, I would say. A bit out of the way for public transport options though. You only have the #35 to get to Central Station and it's not that frequent. Check 9292.nl (also app) or citymapper to plan.

I want to give one transport/excursion tip though and that is to visit the old NDSM shipyard area close to Tuindorp Oostzaan. It's interesting, bohemien like, it's got some amazing structures to visit (the old shipbuilding shed, the dry docks). It also has quirky and interesting cafes and restaurants (Noorderlicht, IJ-kantine). Also from the NDSM you can take the ferry across to Central Station. It goes a good length of the IJ and takes 20 minutes. Way back in the noughts I had my studio at NDSM, and going there by ferry or traveling back to CS always was like a little mini vacation. And if you check listings and you see something going on at the Zonnehuis in Tuindorp Oostzaan that is not a boxing match, consider going there.

Last edited by menachem; Jan 6th, 2023 at 09:23 AM.