Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Bali vs Thailand help please with advice

Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello lovely people of Fodor, Me and my GF are planning our first trip to Asia for a month in 2023 Please help me to figure out the best things we can do
The only thing i am not sure is which courtiers we should visit? Which are the best? I am thinking --- Thailand -- then Singapore, then Bali and back to Armenia... is that okay? or We can do -- Malaysia--Singapore-- take a Cruise to Thailand from Singapore (Phuket) then go to Bali and spend the Majority of time in there.
The dates we can choose are from January to April. We are travelling from Armenia so we will have a Dubai or Qatar layover for 3 days, then continue our journey.
The budget for 2 of us is 6000 US $ for everything, is that enough? Flights are 1000 $ per person.
We are not that great with going around and finding the path, we can get stressed and get lost )) For the record we both have been to Europe and we know how to get around, but Idk about Asia, do we have to ride a bike to get around?
We would like to see the main tourist attractions, see an Ocean (we haven't seen one yet) have a relatively relaxed vacation, please help me out with some common sense, and a pro tips.
Thank you !
Old Jan 2nd, 2023, 11:55 PM

Before you "figure out the best things we can do " you need to decide where. If good weather is important to you then be aware that Jan- April is not a good time for Bali as it is the rainy season. Personally I would stick to South East Asia at that time of year. One month is enough for 2-3 countries, which ones, depends entirely upon your personal interests.

It is very easy to travel around the region and you certainly don't need to hop on a bike to get around.

I suggest you spend some time with a guide book or online - (www.travelfish.org is good) and find out what piques your interest. Singapore is a city state and not a place that I particularly enjoy and I would give that a miss. Thailand and Malaysia have welcomed developed tourism industries and are easy to visit. Personally, I prefer less developed countries like Laos , Vietnam and Cambodia but it is easy enough to mix it up and get a contrast of places.

Budgeting is difficult , costs vary by country tremendously. Accommodation and food in Cambodia and Vietnam is very cheap, more expensive in Malaysia and Thailand and extortionate in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. $5000 for the two of you for a month is entirely possible. You should be able to find decent ensuite accommodation in mid range places. eat at street stalls , markets and small local restaurant for around $100 per day. the remainder of your budget will be used up in entrance fees, air fares, taxis etc. The fewer places you visit the less you will spend on transport. It may seem counterintuitive but the fewer places you visit the more you will actually get to see as you will spend a lot less time in transit looking at the inside of taxis, buses and planes.

Here is a ling to our blog which covers some of our travels in Asia https://accidentalnomads.com just click on the destination tab and go to Asia. It may provide a few ideas.

Happy planning
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
Before you "figure out the best things we can do " you need to decide where. If good weather is important to you then be aware that Jan- April is not a good time for Bali as it is the rainy season. Personally I would stick to South East Asia at that time of year. One month is enough for 2-3 countries, which ones, depends entirely upon your personal interests.

It is very easy to travel around the region and you certainly don't need to hop on a bike to get around.

I suggest you spend some time with a guide book or online - (www.travelfish.org is good) and find out what piques your interest. Singapore is a city state and not a place that I particularly enjoy and I would give that a miss. Thailand and Malaysia have welcomed developed tourism industries and are easy to visit. Personally, I prefer less developed countries like Laos , Vietnam and Cambodia but it is easy enough to mix it up and get a contrast of places.

Budgeting is difficult , costs vary by country tremendously. Accommodation and food in Cambodia and Vietnam is very cheap, more expensive in Malaysia and Thailand and extortionate in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. $5000 for the two of you for a month is entirely possible. You should be able to find decent ensuite accommodation in mid range places. eat at street stalls , markets and small local restaurant for around $100 per day. the remainder of your budget will be used up in entrance fees, air fares, taxis etc. The fewer places you visit the less you will spend on transport. It may seem counterintuitive but the fewer places you visit the more you will actually get to see as you will spend a lot less time in transit looking at the inside of taxis, buses and planes.

Here is a ling to our blog which covers some of our travels in Asia https://accidentalnomads.com just click on the destination tab and go to Asia. It may provide a few ideas.

Happy planning
Thank you! You helped me very much 😊
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 08:24 AM

We just came back from a month in Bali and stopped in Vietnam and Cambodia on the return to Canada, and stayed three weeks there. Bali is very inexpensive, once you get away from the beach scene near th airport. It depends on what you like to do. I love to snorkel so chose places for that. Ubud was very nice and gave you a cultural view of things, great food and lots of day trips out to other areas. We hired taxis, found a driver we liked and kept using him. It was very reasonable
We flew from Bali to Vietnam but you can easily fly to Thailand as well. Vietnam is very reasonable in price as well
We loved areas around Phuket, Krabi and Phi Phi but they are getting a bit more costly now. Chiang Mai to the north is more reasonably priced and lovely, but no beach.
Singapore as said is crazy expensive
here is my blog if interested.
https://debbeanddougstravels.travellerspoint.com/111/
Old Jan 27th, 2023, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hrant
Hello lovely people of Fodor, Me and my GF are planning our first trip to Asia for a month in 2023 Please help me to figure out the best things we can do
The only thing i am not sure is which courtiers we should visit? Which are the best? I am thinking --- Thailand -- then Singapore, then Bali and back to Armenia... is that okay? or We can do -- Malaysia--Singapore-- take a Cruise to Thailand from Singapore (Phuket) then go to Bali and spend the Majority of time in there.
The dates we can choose are from January to April. We are travelling from Armenia so we will have a Dubai or Qatar layover for 3 days, then continue our journey.
The budget for 2 of us is 6000 US $ for everything, is that enough? Flights are 1000 $ per person.
We are not that great with going around and finding the path, we can get stressed and get lost )) For the record we both have been to Europe and we know how to get around, but Idk about Asia, do we have to ride a bike to get around?
We would like to see the main tourist attractions, see an Ocean (we haven't seen one yet) have a relatively relaxed vacation, please help me out with some common sense, and a pro tips.
Thank you !
If you want to know the best time to go to Thailand, check the image below. You will have the idea of the temperature, rainfall, and tourists during those times, really helpful. I can't find a similar graph for Bali. I hope this helps

EDIT:
Give credit where credit is due, got the image from here https://gowithguide.com/blog/thailan...d-to-know-5250
Also, found the weather averages for Bali! Here you go https://www.holiday-weather.com/bali/averages/

Last edited by FireChariot; Jan 27th, 2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Give credit to the image
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 08:45 AM

One additional consideration for that time period in Thailand, particularly in the north (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun) and the northeast (Udon Thani, Nong Khai) is the burning season. Starting around now and lasting through April, local farmers will burn their fields, creating a haze that regularly brings air quality ratings (AQI) well into the upper 100s and often much higher. This is on par with some of the worst polluted cities' AQI rankings in countries like India and China.