Help with travel insurance advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pleas help with advice on the type of travel insurance and company recommendations. We usually do not get travel insurance as our prior medical, and now medicare supplement plan, covers emergency medical overseas. But we are traveling to Peru in May for 6 weeks, and already have our Macchu Pichu trip scheduled. With all the political unrest in Peru now, and unknowns for the next few months, we did purchase flexible flights to Peru through American Airlines, and purchased the Allianz insurance. Reading the fine print, this seemed to not cover if we have to cancel the trip prior to starting, so am thinking of cancelling this insurance and looking for another more specific to our needs (I have 9 more days to do so). What I am needing is insurance for if we have to cancel the trip, for what we have already paid out in reservations for Macchu Pichu and the Amazon, as well as if we have to delay or reroute internal flights or hotels due to the political unrest. Thank you,
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those medicare supplement plans that provide coverage abroad have a lifetime max of $50,000 and 20% co-pays. In addition to medical insurance you should carry medical evacuation/repatriation insurance, as returning home after an accident or major medical event can be very expensive. You want your insurance to be primary, to preserve the medicare supplement for when you are older and it is hard to get any medical insurance for travel. You also want to make sure the evacuation insurance will get you home and not merely to the nearest "suitable" facility. I only insure trip costs if I am taking (very rarely) an expensive tour, so can't help with that. Cancel for any reason is expensive and I think still doesn't cover 100%.

I buy my insurance here: https://www.sevencorners.com/

But you can compare policies here: https://www.squaremouth.com/ or here: https://www.insuremytrip.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call Allianz and make sure. Our policy with them will cover if we have to cancel before the trip. Not sure about coverage for political unrest if it is known in advance.
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 07:50 AM

My TA Kathy can help you. We have worked with her for around 16 years give or take. She usually uses Travel Guard. She works at Cruises international on Higgins Road in Schaumburg, Il. You can call her at 847 303 2020.

If she is not in then others there can assist you.

Good luck.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Dec 30th, 2022 at 08:17 AM.
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 07:12 PM

Yeah, you better talk to a trustworthy agent. I have my doubts that 'cancel for any reason' can be bought more than a few weeks after initial purchase of the package.
What does "scheduled" mean? Have you gone and booked a guided tour or Inca Trail hike? Talk to the vendor about their refund/reschedule policies in case of political disruptions. IMO, other than the Inca Trail, which requires a guide, there is really no reason to book a tour.

Many hotels can be bought refundable, plus I think Peru Rail is working with people who were locked out to allow them to reschedule. May is a long way out and was also a traditional time for protests and strikes. These are usually announced in advance and last a few days. If you have 6 weeks, you should be able to work around short-term stoppages.
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Those medicare supplement plans that provide coverage abroad have a lifetime max of $50,000 and 20% co-pays. In addition to medical insurance you should carry medical evacuation/repatriation insurance, as returning home after an accident or major medical event can be very expensive. You want your insurance to be primary, to preserve the medicare supplement for when you are older and it is hard to get any medical insurance for travel. You also want to make sure the evacuation insurance will get you home and not merely to the nearest "suitable" facility. I only insure trip costs if I am taking (very rarely) an expensive tour, so can't help with that. Cancel for any reason is expensive and I think still doesn't cover 100%.

I buy my insurance here: https://www.sevencorners.com/

But you can compare policies here: https://www.squaremouth.com/ or here: https://www.insuremytrip.com/
Thank you for the info. Our supplement is through my husbands past work, and covers much more than the usuals, but does have the 20% copay. We do pay $for it though, but the travel is the reason some friends keep it, and so we are learning about it more, before thinking of changing. I will doublecheck the amount, but believe the cap is much higher, and does cover coming back to the US, so your knowledge is very helpful.

Last edited by karrma; Dec 31st, 2022 at 07:25 AM. Reason: adding info
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Originally Posted by schmerl
Call Allianz and make sure. Our policy with them will cover if we have to cancel before the trip. Not sure about coverage for political unrest if it is known in advance.
THank you..I will call. I was just reading the fine print after we purchased it, and it sounded it started only once you began the trip.
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
My TA Kathy can help you. We have worked with her for around 16 years give or take. She usually uses Travel Guard. She works at Cruises international on Higgins Road in Schaumburg, Il. You can call her at 847 303 2020.

If she is not in then others there can assist you.

Good luck.
Appreciate your referral. It's so much better when we know someone through their experience.
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Originally Posted by mlgb
Yeah, you better talk to a trustworthy agent. I have my doubts that 'cancel for any reason' can be bought more than a few weeks after initial purchase of the package.
What does "scheduled" mean? Have you gone and booked a guided tour or Inca Trail hike? Talk to the vendor about their refund/reschedule policies in case of political disruptions. IMO, other than the Inca Trail, which requires a guide, there is really no reason to book a tour.

Many hotels can be bought refundable, plus I think Peru Rail is working with people who were locked out to allow them to reschedule. May is a long way out and was also a traditional time for protests and strikes. These are usually announced in advance and last a few days. If you have 6 weeks, you should be able to work around short-term stoppages.
Yes, we have the Inca Trail 5 day hike set up, as well as an Amazon Trek, through Alpaca Expeditions. We are thinking of doing a 2 day Q'oyllur Riti trek and heading up to Lake Titicaca. I did read that some of the more uncommon local flights should be booked ahead of time, and we do not want to miss a flight from Arequipa to Cusco as the timing is important for our trip and altitude acclimatization. We do have refundable hotel bookings, just have the ones in the Sacred Valley and Cusco set up yet. Slowly planning on each side of the Inca Trail set point of our 6 week trip. Thank you for the info, not sure I like the thought of May being a time of strikes though....
Old Dec 31st, 2022, 09:12 AM

I would talk to Alpaca Expeditions about how they would handle disruptions, if they happen. When is your Amazon leg?

As MP is the more important leg, I would recommend flying from Lima to Cusco rather than flying in from Arequipa, as the airports in Arequipa and Juliaca (Puno) had more disruptions recently. Although there are overland ways to get between AQP and Cusco, they also would be subject to disruption. You should be able to get in the appropriate amount of acclimitization around the Sacred Valley and Cusco, booking your own hotels. ( A few nights in the SV, followed by at least two in Cusco). There is plenty to see in the area, including some training hikes, such as the part of the Inca Trail that goes from the town of PIsac up to the ruins, and around Ollantaytambo.

I would also wait to book any nonrefundable legs from Arequipa and/or L. Titicaca.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 31st, 2022 at 09:14 AM.