Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Travel to BKK Airport - Convenient hotel

Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Bangkok. ! have a flight from BKK airport at 10 AM. It is an international flight to Malaysia. If I take a taxi, how long will it take me to get to the airport. So, then what time do I absolutely need to leave my hotel and what is a good area of Bangkok to stay in if I want to get a "quick" taxi ride to BKK. I stayed once at a hotel steps from the airport but I don't want to do that again.as it is a pretty sterile environment and you're missing out on the Bangkok experience. Thanks. MWG
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 02:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Regarding flights from Bangkok, keep in mind there are 2 airports that handle international flights. BKK is the newer (Suvarnabhumi International) and DMK is the old airport (Don Mueang International) that also handles international flights for the low-cost carriers. For instance next month I'll arrive at DMK from Malaysia on Air Asia and leave from BKK on JAL.

I've never thought I needed to stay in a particular part of town before a flight, prefer to stay in my favorite areas & just leave when advised by my hotel. Have a fun trip.

Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back when there was only one international airport I had a reservation at the Amari Airport Hotel, as I had an early flight. It was right after 9-11 and with fewer tourists around I was upgraded to the executive floor. It was so luxurious I almost hated to leave the room but I did go into Bangkok. But with a 10:00 am flight from the new airport I'd stay in town.
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 09:39 PM

I would just stay wherever you want. A taxi ride to the airport at that time of day from say Sukumvit Road will take less than an hour, probably around 45 mins IME. Check with your airline but most will suggest arriving 3 hours before an international flight. I would want to leave by 06:30. Maybe even time for a quick breakfast at the hotel.
Old Dec 28th, 2022, 06:04 PM

I hate taking a taxi to BKK as I always get drivers who learned to drive in a Formula 500 racer. The possibility of gridlock on the city streets and freeway are pretty high too. Despite allowing plenty of time, I've twice missed flights due to traffic (45 minutes to move one city block was the worst. I got to the airport after a 2 hour ride), Now, I usually will stay out near the airport when I have really early flights. Many of the small hotels out there are decent and will pick up at a an airport link station like Lad Karbang or shuttle you to the airport. I spend the day in Bangkok, then take the train (or a taxi if I've got tons of stuff) in the early evening.

However, since you have a not-so-
early 10 am flight in the morning, you can take the Skytrain's airport link either from Makkasan Station (connected with the subway station Petchaburi) or the Skytrain station Phayathai in Bangkok. The train starts running at 5:30 am, takes 25~30 minutes and costs about $1. I'd plan on getting onto the train at about 6:30 am. Here is all you need to know about the airport link to BKK Airport:
https://bangkokairporttrain.com
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 12:27 PM
mjs

Agree with Crelleston. I get to BKK about 3 hours before my international flight and spend some time in a lounge waiting for my flight. It takes about 45 minutes from where I stay to get to the airport so for a 10 am flight I would leave 0600-0630. Probably 0630 if weekend. I always ask the hotel for advice though as you never know when travel issues will arise
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 09:08 AM

We were in Bangkok in November and stayed out by the airport for two nights , the day before our flight we went into Khoa San Road area and on the way back by cab it was complete gridlock, took us two hours, when on the way there was just over half hour. The skytrain would be a better option, but early morning would be better I suspect
Mind you it was rush hour.
But from our hotel to the airport early morning was a breeze and we were there in no time

Old Jan 14th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Morning and evening rush hours are very intense and last a long time in BKK. But that said, you taxi should know this and recommend when to start out.

There are lots of hotels around the airport now - last time I flew out 2020, I stayed near the airport at Vismaya Suvarnabhumi Hotel. Nice clean hotel with pool, nothing much around outside though but only a few minutes from departures.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 12:53 AM

You should leave 3-4 hours prior since it's a rush hour because you will end up riding a motorcycle going to the airport if you're not early enough.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by travelwhileyoucan
You should leave 3-4 hours prior since it's a rush hour because you will end up riding a motorcycle going to the airport if you're not early enough.
Lost count of the number of times I have taken taxis to and from both Bangkok airports and not once has it take anything like 3-4 hours. Why would anybody ride a motorcycle to the airport?
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 01:13 AM

I suspect what was meant was 3-4 hours prior to flight time. I'm contemplating this very thing in my hotel now at Wang Lang, figure I'll leave about 6pm for a 10pm flight as I hope to make good use of the JAL lounge a couple of days from now.
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 01:22 AM

If there is a lounge involved then I always allow extra time regardless of the traffic!
Old Jan 30th, 2023, 01:35 AM

I meant prior to flight time. My hotel was somewhere in Centralworld and my flight was in DMK airport. The traffic was quite heavy so I decided to ride a motorcycle (booked it through an app called Bolt).
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:59 AM

Yesterday I taxied from Thonburi to BKK, left at 6pm & expected the traffic to be bad. It wasn't, just the usual, not the rush-hour sort. 1 hour.