Banff/Jasper hikes

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banff/Jasper hikes

So I've scoured All trails and come up with a bunch of hikes that looked interesting and within my wife and I's capabilities. We have 6 full days to explore the area in mid-September and I am hoping you all can tell me the absolute must do's as well as any you think can be skipped. Plan is to hike Banff area for x days, travel up Icefields Pkwy hitting a hike or two on the way up. Hike in Jasper for x days. Travel Icefields Pkwy back then on to Calgary hitting a hike or two on the way. I know a lot of this is subjective but I'll take whatever you can throw my way. We are early risers so we won't have any troubles being on the trail at day break to beat crowds and although we really enjoy not being around a bunch of people we also don't want to miss out on any must sees (there is usually a good reason trails are crowded). Here is my not so short list with my "I think I shouldn't miss this" stared:

***Johnston Canyon (I know it is really busy but we can start early)
Plain of Six Glaciers
Mistaya Canyon
Mable Canyon
Beehive Circuit trail
Helen Lake
***Bow Glacier Falls or Iceberg Lake (Sounds like Iceberg Lake may get a little too technical for my wife)
Consolation Lake
Wapta Falls
***Giant Steps via Paradise Creek
Eiffle Lake
Thompson Creek Falls
Panther Falls
***Beauty Creek to Stanley Falls
Sunwapta Falls
Edith Cavell Meadows
Valley of Five Lakes
Maligne Canyon Loop
Wilcox View Point via Wilcox Pass
***Parker Ridge Trail to Saskatchewan Glacier
Sulphur Skyline
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 11:28 AM

I'm going to post here so I can see what answers you get. My wife and I are taking her daughter and her two kids, age 10 and 13, to Banff in July. We'll do family stuff but I'm an old hiker and want to get on the trail as much as we can.
Are you camping? We're going to stay in Canmore and day hike from there. We'll hit the recognized tourist spots and take what walks they offer. But I'll look forward to seeing your list.
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

For anyone that stumbles upon this in the future this is our plan so far. It may very well change but this should get us pretty close.

Day 1 arrive in Calgary, stock up on essentials in Canmore, drive to Field (staying here the next 5 nights)

Day 2, 3, 4 Hike the following
Lake O'hara (Hoping for day hike lottery tickets) if not we may still hike the road in and pray for ride out
Giant steps via Paradise Valley
Plain of six glaciers/beehive circuit

Day 5 drive up to Jasper (staying two nights) hiking Bow Glacier Falls and Mistya Canyon on the way

Day 6 hike Edith Cavell Meadows and Maligne Canyon

Day 7 drive down to Calgary (stay one night) hike Parker Ridge trail and Johnston Canyon

Day 8 depart in morning for home
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 12:29 PM

My favorite hike ever is Lake MacArthur in Lake O’Hara. Also loved Consolation Lake.