Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dual citizen American/Brazil can I enter Brazil with american passport only?

Old Dec 18th, 2022, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help- please
I am a dual citizen
My american passport has my married name
My expired brazilian passport has my maiden name
My airline ticket has my married name
Do I have to present my brazilian passport? or can I just present the american passport to enter Brazil
and if I have to present the brazilian passport willl it be an issue that my airline ticket is in my married name? I can take my marriage license to show the change of names if need be.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You should really check this on an official Brazilian website.

I would think, at a minimum, you need to get a new Brazilian passport in your married name.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean.
I did it says " Brazilian w dual citizenships can use the american passport to leave and enter Brasil...( I believe this changed since 2019 - before brazilians needed a visa to enter Brasil but not anymore if you have an american passport) as long as
1) american passport is valid until the time of return
2)you have an RG (this is a document in Brazil kind of like our social security number in the Usa) with a foto that you can be identified...

ok american passport I just got it..so I am good there...and I have my RG w picture ..but this is from the time I was a teenager..so photo is from over 20 years and has my maiden name..
I also saw that it does not matter that my brazilian passport is expired...that is not the issue..the issue is that my brazilian passport has my maiden name...and my airline ticket has my brazilian name..
I probably going to pay the extra charge to change my return ticket to my brazilian name to be on the safe side...but I would not prefer not to do that unless I really have to...
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 02:26 PM

As long as your American passport and plane ticket have the same name, I don't see a problem. Just present the US passport.
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PrairieHikerI
As long as your American passport and plane ticket have the same name, I don't see a problem. Just present the US passport.
Thank you Prairie...I hope so...I think that is all I need as well.
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 10:14 AM

Ok, I don't know anything about this interestibg topic except that I had to pay a not insignificant visa fee to enter Brazil twenty years ago with a US pasport and maybe had to go to the embassy to get the visa in advance.

I would take all of the documents, the expired Brazilian pp, the RG card, marraige cert with name change, and travel with the US pp and ticket in the namr on that passport.

You mentioned a "Brazilian name" and "maiden name" - I believe you mean that those are the same.

Changing the name on your ticket to your maiden name seems like a bad idea. Not sure you could even do it, given that you probably purchased your ticket in the USA and your legal name is your married. You don't have a valid pp in your maiden name, so I think you would be denied boarding your US departure flight.

I could see that you would want to enter Brazil as a Brazilian national so that you could avoid paying a visa fee. I could guess that you might be required to show your Brazilian nationality when entering Brazil, their interest being to do a criminal check or something. Which means that I can't answer your question about it being required.

Can a dual citizen enter Brazil with an expired Brazilian passport? - Travel Stack Exchange
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 12:29 PM

If you have a Brazilian passport, you enter/exit Brazil on your Brazilian passport.

If you have a US passport, you enter/exit the USA on your US passport, this is mandatory.

Both of your passports should be in exactly the same name. That is what you have to fix along with getting a new Brazilian passport.

Alot of countries allow entry to their country on an expired passport, so there is that to consider, check if Brazil is one of those countries.

Airline tickets are usually non transferable, so a name change on half a booking is unlikely to work.

Passports that are in airline bookings are for an identity check and so that airline staff can make sure that you have correct documentation to enter Brazil, which you will not have if you present your US passport as you will need a visa.

Finally, according to this website, you must enter/exit Brazil on your Brazilian passport. It is a pretty common requirement. UK/Brazilian dual nationals have the same instruction, cannot enter Brazil on UK passport if you have a Brazilian one.

https://www.worldtravelguide.net/gui...passport-visa/

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 01:26 PM

travel.state.gov says you need:
  • A valid U.S. passport.
  • U.S. citizens do not need a visa if they are traveling to Brazil for tourism, business, transit, artistic or sport activities, with no intention of establishing residence
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 09:55 AM

I have dual citizenship - American/German and recently obtained my first German passport. When I applied for it at the German Consulate in NYC, I was asked to sign my name on duplicate documents two ways - once with my maiden name (first/middle/last) and once with my married name (first/former maiden name/married surname), because they were uncertain which they would want to use. I received my passport last week and the consulate went with my maiden name, which means I have two passports with two different names. My understanding is that the important thing is that the plane ticket must match the passport, so I figure I'll book tickets accordingly. If anyone KNOWS otherwise, please share. Thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 08:50 PM

As someone who is also a dual citizen, I always carry both my passports, just in case they ask for it. Also, making sure they are not expired.
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 11:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do not understand why this person cannot simply travel on their US passport with the name that matches their plane ticket assuming this is a vacation/business length trip?? like said back in #4 post.

I guess have the Brazilian one with you in case asked, but obviously that is older and under your maiden name.