Amsterdam - London - Belgium - Netherlands Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2022, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother, his wife and I are in our 60s and planning a Europe trip to my country of birth the Netherlands in May 2023.

We will fly to Amsterdam and enjoy a couple of days in the city
Train to London for two nights
Train to Brussels from which we'll do a day trip to Ghent, Bruges.
Train back to the Netherlands and tour near Rotterdam and the Hague (Delft, Kinkerdijk, Shceviningen Beach, Keukonhof). Would you recommend using Rotterdam or the Hague as a base for this stint?
Train back to Amsterdam to spend a week

We have rellies in Krommenie just north of Amsterdam but we'll also do a ton of other stuff. I want a day tour to Zaanse Schans, Volendam and Marken. Of course Rijksmuseum.

Does the above look like the right order in wihich to visit these areas? It's two days everywhere except the last leg where we enjoy Amsterdam and area for the last week.

Also we're thinking hotels everywhere except an airbnb in the last week in Amsterdam. Not sure if it's cost savings and airbnb is not without it's risks, but we will research
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 11:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

As you are aware you're zigzagging all over the place. Amsterdam > London > Brussels > other sites in the Netherlands then back to Amsterdam. There are several Netherlands and Belgium Fodorites who can give more specific suggestions (I've only been in that region 3 times) . . . BUT two days in London?? That is almost 'Why bother' territory. What did you plan on doing in London? It is enormous with sooooooo much of interest - but maybe you just have one or two places you want to visit.

What I would not do is stay in A'dam two days and then head to London. What I'd probably do is book a flight to LCY (preferably) or LHR about 3 or 4 hours after you land at AMS. Stay 3 or 4 nights (minimum) in London at the beginning of the trip, then take the Eurostar to Brussels, then on to the places in the rest of your itinerary.

Do note that short term rentals are heavily restricted/regulated in Amsterdam.
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 12:50 PM

May is a lovely time for your trip, but it can still be cold at night. Take warm jackets.

Staying twice in the same place, along with the extra travel time and cost of RT is not usually logistically sound.
Even if it costs more, in this case, the money saved by not backtracking will likely even things out
so I would:
Fly multi-city, into London and out of Amsterdam. Two nights in London is only one day, not much time for a world class city. I would also not stay in Brussels for day trips. Evenings in Ghent and Bruges are so nice. As a matter of fact, how much time do you actually want in Brussels? Are you sure you want an entire week in Amsterdam?

Fly into London, at least 3 nights. Arrival day to rest and get oriented. Two days for heavy sightseeing.
Train to Brussels. On to Ghent or Bruges, 3 nights, one day in each place. Expect Bruges to be absolutely mobbed.
Train to perhaps Rotterdam or whichever base is best for desired day trips.
Train to Amsterdam.
Fly home from Amsterdam.

This is probably what I would do, but would depend on flights, etc.
Start in London, 3 nights minimum
Take the Eurostar to Amsterdam
See the Netherlands.
Train to Ghent, see Ghent and Bruges.
Fly home from Brussels. While you usually need to be in the city of the departure airport the night before, The airport is close enough to Ghent, you would not have to stay in Brussels.

Old Dec 14th, 2022, 01:10 PM

OP wants to visit Krommenie and Zaanse Schans so Amsterdam for a week makes sense.
Keukenhof closes on May 14th next year so you need need to bear that in mind in your planning.
I agree that, if you can, you should fly to London and work your way to Amsterdam, or vice versa.
Rotterdam is a good base for Kinderdijk, and for Den Haag and Scheveningen.
You seem to be only sticking to the usual parts of the Netherlands, Krommenie is the exception of course but still close to Amsterdam. Try to visit Graft-De Rijp while you are in Krommenie. Consider the museum at Enkhuizen as well, but there is a whole country out there.
How are you getting around?
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 01:22 PM

"Fly multi-city, into London and out of Amsterdam."

I 100% agree (1000000% actually) -- but I was assuming they had already booked their flights.

Multi city makes much more sense. The itinerary can work in to London / home from Amsterdam or vice versa, except home from Amsterdam would likely be a bit cheaper because of higher passenger fees out of LHR.
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 01:36 PM

You don't mention how long you have for this trip. I agree with the others that London needs several more days at a minimum.
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 01:39 PM

Hi Follena, nice to meet you. I just had a couple of points I was going to comment on - you ask about bases for your list of want-to-sees. The Hague is good for Delft and Scheveningen, but Rotterdam is better for Kinderdijk. Keukenhof is marginally better from the Hague, but is still some 30km away. I think there might be a bus there from the Hague, the station is still 5km from the tulip fields. So you might have to split your bases, or you could think about a car, which might help a bit. Someone else will, I hope, jump in here and make comments (although they might not all come until it's daylight in Europe, which is some time off).

About Belgium - it's so small and manageable by train that it's OK to stay in Brussels too (or Ghent). In Brussels you can stay near Central Station - lots of nice hotels and easy access to trains. In Ghent you will have to decide if you stay near the station or in the town (25 minutes apart by foot). Station for easy access, town for restaurants and bars. Ghent is only about 30-35 mins away from Brussels by train, although it's still an hour to an hour and a half away from the airport, which is on the northern edge of Brussels (Brussels Zaventem, if you are coming from the US or Australia, otherwise you might fly out of Brussels Charleroi, which I would probably avoid if I could).

Do you have a budget for your hotels yet?

Lavandula
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
Hi Follena, nice to meet you. I just had a couple of points I was going to comment on - you ask about bases for your list of want-to-sees. The Hague is good for Delft and Scheveningen, but Rotterdam is better for Kinderdijk. Keukenhof is marginally better from the Hague, but is still some 30km away. I think there might be a bus there from the Hague, the station is still 5km from the tulip fields. So you might have to split your bases, or you could think about a car, which might help a bit. Someone else will, I hope, jump in here and make comments (although they might not all come until it's daylight in Europe, which is some time off).

About Belgium - it's so small and manageable by train that it's OK to stay in Brussels too (or Ghent). In Brussels you can stay near Central Station - lots of nice hotels and easy access to trains. In Ghent you will have to decide if you stay near the station or in the town (25 minutes apart by foot). Station for easy access, town for restaurants and bars. Ghent is only about 30-35 mins away from Brussels by train, although it's still an hour to an hour and a half away from the airport, which is on the northern edge of Brussels (Brussels Zaventem, if you are coming from the US or Australia, otherwise you might fly out of Brussels Charleroi, which I would probably avoid if I could).

Do you have a budget for your hotels yet?

Lavandula
A very big thank you and bedankt to all of you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am so sorry I wasn't 100% clear in my first post. My sister-in-law will be in Amsterdam for a conference so my brother and I will fly into Amsterdam to meet her there. Otherwise I really like London first and then we train to Belgium and Netherlands with Amsterdam our final week stay. We have many places to go because I was born there and have rellies.

Also, I found out we're staying in London 3 nights. Which makes me happy. I could spend a month in London. Camden Town, here I come. If anyone has intel on Studio2Let North Gower by Pancras International or Double Tree by Hilton near Kings Cross let me know!

Much obliged about Rotterdam as a good base and that Keukonhof is closed May 14 VERY good to know. I'm suggesting to my brother that he and I fly to London and his wife fly from Amsterdam to London to meet us there. Then we can backtrack by train through Belgium and Netherlands sights before Amsterdam. It's a two week trip. Our cousins in Kormmenie will have so many suggestions too. Thank youi again!

Old Dec 14th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Great -- that clarifies things a bit.

Me personally -- I'd avoid that Studio2Let like the plague. Location is good but the rooms are REALLY teeny - the largest units are 151 sq ft but most are smaller, the bathrooms are basically wet rooms the size of a small closet, and there is no lift.

The Doubletree is half a mile from Kings Cross/St Pancras - its closer to Angel tube station. But it is a much nicer property -- it's classified as a 4 star but that is sort of a stretch. The rooms are larger, w/ better decor, and while the bathrooms aren't huge they are much larger/better equipped than the studios2let baths. No kitchenettes but you're only there 3 nights/2 days. It has all the facilities of a hotel - restaurant, bar fitness center etc. Just a completely different type of property that the Studio2Let
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Great -- that clarifies things a bit.

Me personally -- I'd avoid that Studio2Let like the plague. Location is good but the rooms are REALLY teeny - the largest units are 151 sq ft but most are smaller, the bathrooms are basically wet rooms the size of a small closet, and there is no lift.

The Doubletree is half a mile from Kings Cross/St Pancras - its closer to Angel tube station. But it is a much nicer property -- it's classified as a 4 star but that is sort of a stretch. The rooms are larger, w/ better decor, and while the bathrooms aren't huge they are much larger/better equipped than the studios2let baths. No kitchenettes but you're only there 3 nights/2 days. It has all the facilities of a hotel - restaurant, bar fitness center etc. Just a completely different type of property that the Studio2Let
Ah yes I wondered if those Studios2Let were too small. Thank you for the info!
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 03:25 PM

Hi again, you say you have 2 days everywhere but I think particularly in your last Amsterdam stop you will find you want more time. I would take at least 3 days per stop, 2 days is just one night and one night is a pain with moving, unpacking, repacking, plus you won't have enough time to see what you have planned for. Rewrite your list indicating travel days (plan very little for these) and where you will spend each night.

Also - I have relatives abroad and when I see them (maybe once every 5 years), I mostly don't do anything in the city but catch up with them. Can you combine your time with the rellies and your sightseeing? Krommenie + Zaanse Schans makes sense, as does Volendam / Marken.

Lavandula
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 08:25 AM

If you base in Rotterdam or want to go to Kinderdijk from Rotterdam, there's the option of a tour on the Mv Nehalennia to get there.https://www.dagjeuitpagina.nl/zuid-h...jk-vanaf-1750/
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by menachem
If you base in Rotterdam or want to go to Kinderdijk from Rotterdam, there's the option of a tour on the Mv Nehalennia to get there
What a great tour idea. Thank you. Kinderdijk is on our list but it's nice to know we can get there by boat from Rotterdam. Tot siens!
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a fast commuter ferry that stops at the dock across the river from Kinderdijk, the little ferry that crosses the river waits for the fast ferry so you just walk off one onto the other. Very easy to do.
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I'm pretty sure there is a fast commuter ferry that stops at the dock across the river from Kinderdijk, the little ferry that crosses the river waits for the fast ferry so you just walk off one onto the other. Very easy to do.
True, but given the possible mobility needs of at least some of the party, Nehalennia is a good option because you can drink coffee in the saloon and a lovely beer on the way back. Changing ferries in Ridderkerk is somewhat involved, shall we say.