paris hotel rec around $200

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granddaughter and I will spend 3 nights in Paris in March. Considering Hotel France Albion but looking for other recs at around $200 per night. I am not familiar with the various arrondissements but looks like it is in the 9th.

I did see on another thread here a rec for Hotel Elysa Paris – Official Site – Hotel in the Latin Quarter in Paris (elysa-hotel-paris.com) I shall take a taxi from CDG as I almost couldn't get on train my last visit as step up was very high and I am more crotchety now and maybe a hotel with shuttle service would be better but most likely same price as a taxi. Thanks for any suggestions,
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 07:05 PM

A poster here always used to recommend the Hotel Bonaparte. I like its location and stayed nearby in a different hotel which has, unfortunately, raised its rates.
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 07:32 PM

Relais Hotel de Vieux on a side street right along the Seine, on the border of the 5th/6th Arrondisement, across from Notre Dame. Lots of restaurants, quiet street, walking distance to St. Germain area. At about $222 a night including breakfast. It’s a good buy with elevator, clean and well run. Breakfast room on main level. Hotel has a dedicated driver for airport transport. Loved our week there!
Old Dec 14th, 2022, 05:49 AM

My gem of Paris research is by Barrie Kerper, "Paris: The Collected Traveler - An Inspired Companion Guide" -- she covers the obvious but more so, the obscure, in the 700 page book. And she mention the follows as budget hotels:
Hotel Chopin (9th in Passage Jouffroy), Hotel des Grandes Ecole (5th), Hotel des Grands Hommes (5th), Hotel Mayet (6th), Hotel St Thomas d'Aquin (7th).
Good luck!
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much! The suggestions sound so good it will be fun checking them out.
I am currently visiting my son in North Carolina and always pop across the highway to the shops as living in the Poconos it's 1 1/2 hours to any shopping mall. At the TG Maxx I found a cute small bag for makeup or miscellaneous small items with a pic of the Eiffel Tower and the name PARIS under it for my granddaughter, it's so cute.

Thanks again.
Karen

Old Dec 15th, 2022, 07:26 PM

Karen - if you are in the Poconos, are you not fairly close to the Crossings? unless the place had been decimated by the pandemic, last time we stopped by there were scads of stores.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 08:06 PM

One year I stayed at the Hotel Chopin and loved that it’s actually set inside the Passage Jouffroy. But the location in the 9th Arr., was a bit too far from my preferred area around St. Germain. It was fun for a change to be in less of a touristy area but required a lot of walking, stressful for my bad knees. The Passage is colorful with lots of shops, a great patisserie. The Passage des Panoramas right across the street has a choice of restaurants including my go-to La Creperie. Around the corner is the beautiful and vast Boullion Chartier, not only an icon but a bargain, an experience all its own for lunch or dinner.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 06:02 AM

It was our intention to get to several passages this Fall, but only made it to Passage Vivienne, behind the Palais Royale shops. It was so pretty, but we just didnt have the band-width to get over to Jouffroy or Panorama. We had spent previous quick weekend in Brussels, and there is a beautiful one there in the lower city. They are treasures to behold.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Citizen Hotel directly on the Canal Saint Martin is a very nice boutique hotel in your price range. South African friends stayed there and loved it, but I have also seen it in some French movies. It only has 12 rooms.

Le Citizen Hotel - Unique hotel on the Canal Saint Martin in Paris
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 10:13 AM

I personally wouldn't want to stay in a hotel in a shopping mall. Yes, I know Passage Jouffroy is an old one, but still, I just really wouldn't like that being inside a shopping area and not being able to walk out of your hotel onto the street or even be able to look out a window to a street view (unless they have some back side where you can do that but I didn't think so). And yes, I've seen it and been in numerous of the passages. That hotel is also one of those that puts the TV up on a small pole/platform near the ceiling and I refuse to stay in one of those. They do it to save space but it's really difficult to watch TV that way, you have to by lying down.

Here is one of my faves in Paris, it has twin rooms below your budget
https://www.hotel-langlois.com/#

It's a bit more convenient location also I think, than the Albion, but they are actually pretty close and both are in the 9th. Maybe it's just because I've been staying there for years I know the area. It's right next; to a metro stop practically, has a great bakery nearby and some good restaurants around it and a bit to the north and near St Georges metro area. I like it because it's on a smaller side street not on a major street. Also, it's rooms are pretty large, the twins I think are 20 m2. The twins in the Chopin are 17 m2, they say.

I'm surprised those passages are open all night long, but I guess they must be unless the hotel has a "curfew" so to speak.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 10:58 AM

The passages are NOT open all night long. Residents have a code to open the gate.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 12:20 PM

Hotel Muguet in the 7th might fit your price point. I have liked my stays there in the past. It is near two metro stations. Rue Cler is nearby so there are lots of food options. From some of the rooms, you can get a view of the Eiffel Tower. The Robin Museum and Napolean's Tomb are nearby.
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably mean Rodin Museum
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:47 AM

Hotel des Marronniers is in the 6th and close to many of the attractions. It is on a quiet street but one street turn away from many beautiful streets with plenty of cafe and restaurant options.

It is a 5 minute walk to the river, within 15 minutes walk to many of the main attractions and 5 minutes to the metro.

The hotel is clean, has an elevator and staff are nice. It even has a little garden that is used as an outdoor sitting cafe area that is partially sheltered by a glass ceiling. We sat there one afternoon when it was raining.

Rooms are small as usual for Paris and a bit outdated but you are paying for the location.

I stayed in Paris several times and this was by far my favorite location. If you want other hotels, choose a location near this and you will not regret it.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Seamus, I have not heard of The Crossings but googled it, it is over an hour away and reviews aren't too good. I'm in the NE corner of Pa along the Delaware river. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll ask around if anyone here has been there.

Old Dec 17th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the further suggestions. What arrondissement is best for being close to most sites? We would like to walk some though I am going to have another knee replacement soon and granddaughter can't walk too long due to some limitations as a result of birthweight of 15 oz. We don't need to be near great restaurants as I am a vegetarian but we both are looking forward to their bread and pastries!

As an aside, granddaughter is "on the autism spectrum" and will not greet shopkeepers. I don't think there will be a problem though, right?

Thanks again for all these suggestions. I'll report back on my choice.

Karen
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:57 PM

Karen -Well, I guess you're stuck with Steamtown mall, LOL Are you up around Milford/Port Jervis? Beautiful country!

There is not any one location that is walking distance to all the Paris sites you'd probably like to visit, especially with some limitation on how far you all will be able to walk. We've stayed all over the city on a dozen niece trips and have enjoyed all the locations. My best advice is to stay near the Seine with convenient Metro and/or bus stops nearby. You can access maps of public transport here. We have learned to enjoy riding the bus in Paris - in addition to avoiding the often substantial walking and stairs involved in metro transfers, you get to see so much more as you travel above ground. If you pick up a weekly travel pass you can just hop off the bus if something catches your eye then get back on later.

Never had a problem finding places to eat, including with vegetarian and pescetarian nieces. Most restaurants are able and willing to accommodate.

Your niece's reticence may come across as rude, but if you make sure to offer a pleasant "bonjour" on entering a business with her and "merci, au revoir" on departing you should be fine.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 10:05 PM

There is no one location that is close to all, or even most sites. If you want a hotel central to your personal points of interest, plot them on a map, then chose a hotel at the center of your plot.

If you have absolutely no idea where you want to stay, may I suggest the standard American tourist preferences of the Latin Quarter, St Germain des Prés, and le Marais. To narrow that even further, consider the hotels along rue Jacob in the 6th (St Germain des Prés). You have already received one suggestion located here, les Marronniers.

You should be able to find comfortable accommodations for two in March, around 188€ ($200 if we are referencing US dollars) but prices overall have really risen in the last few years.

One item visitors sometimes overlook is that fact that many hotels are located where it can be very noisy at night. Hotel Chopin, located in a passageway, should be very quiet at night, and the area has some fabulous restaurants as well.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 11:00 AM

This past June while in Paris during the heat wave we relied on taxis to get around except for destinations within fairly close range. Walking in that heat was not an option. Hotel Relais de Vieux was happy to call one of the taxis they have on their vetted list. It was worth the cost for comfort and the fact that it saved our strength for museums and other sights. We were able to flag down taxis for the return.

my room at the charming Hotel Chopin had openable windows both in bathroom and bedroom overlooking the roof tops. If I remember correctly it was on floor 3. The passage was open until 10:00 pm. After that time there was a bell to push for concierge to come open gate. It’s probably electronically equipped in recent years since my stay several years ago.

I’ve stayed at Hotel D’Angleterre on rue Jacob right off rue Bonaparte. Quiet street near the St. Germain des Pres Abbey in the 6th, handy to many restaurants, walkable to Jardin du Luxembourg, in your price range.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 06:22 PM

When people say they want to be "near the Louvre" or "near the Eiffel Tower," often they don't take into consideration the fact that they will visit the site just once in most cases and after that being close to it is of little interest. There is no place that is near "all" (or most) of the places of interest since they are spread all over the city. You might think about concentrating on a more residential neighborhood with lots of boulangeries, traiteurs and supermarkets because those are places that are often visited every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -