Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam/Paris/ Brussels/ others? - best City for a 93 year old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to take my 93 Year Old Nan on a trip in 2023 (flexible on dates + duration).

We are UK based and would prefer to take the Eurostar than fly for ease - hence the Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris comparison. However I am open to suggestions should destination warrant onward travel.

My Nan is mobile for her age (she does not require a wheelchair or walking aides), but rest stops and a slower pace are required and a flatter surface preferable.

Itinerary and sites are a bonus (she loved the Royal Palace in Vienna for example) however the main goal of the trip is to just spend some quality time together.

Appreciate any recommendations!

Thanks,
Aimee

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Great that your Nan is so healthy/mobile. I'd might pick Amsterdam with the flat terrane and trams but the walking can be a bit fraught sometimes because of the masses of bicycles whizzing by - one has to be very careful/alert.

Paris buses are great for getting around and most of the centre is flat - and of course there are tons of things to see/do. One can sit in par/outdoor cafes for long rests. If it was me/my Mom - it would probably choose Paris
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 08:50 AM

Does it have to be one of those three? How about Antwerp or Bruges or Ghent in Belgium?

FWIW, when my mother (in her late 80s at the time) traveled with me to Dresden, we made a point of using the velo (bicycle) taxis as much as possible. They have several advantages: first, they're fun. Second, they can go into many pedestrian areas off limits to mass transit and taxis. Third, they go at a slower pace and the drivers are usually happy to stop to let you take photos.

I did the same when she came to visit me in Basel after turning 91. We booked a velo taxi tour of historic neighborhoods she would not have otherwise seen. We had a great time. The drivers were friendly and very polite, being extra nice to my mother. If it's cooler weather, they'll usually have blankets available.

Most have websites where you can book specific rides/tours

PS. Don't worry about wearing the drivers out -- many of them are switching to e-bikes .
PPS. Basel is only 3 hours by direct train from Paris so you should add that to your destination options list (the trains can be double decker, so make sure you reserve seats on the lower level)
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 09:32 AM

We took my 95 year old MIL to Amsterdam. Only for a day as we lived about 40 minutes away. Pottered about, had coffee, mooched around shops, went on a canal trip. She enjoyed the sights, without wanting to visit museums or whatever.
We did get the tram back to the station as she was tired by then.
Even easier now as trams and buses no longer have a big step up into them.
Yes you need to watch out for bikes somewhat (and trams!) , but stick to the footpaths, and cross at light controlled crossings and you will be fine.
If you would refer somewhere a bit quieter, and only a short train ride away consider Haarlem.
The Hague is another option (change trains in Rotterdam).

Or change trains in Brussels and head for Gent.

Wherever you decide I hope you have a wonderful time and make some precious memories.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amsterdam, we met up with ancient uncle/aunt there and they were doing fine. I might make sure my accom is in the centre but on a tram stop just to make life a bit easier
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The quantity of cafés everywhere in Paris is a point in its favor.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 11:50 AM

Amsterdam for me too. Brussels is actually built on a slope / hill, Amsterdam is flat terrain. But yes, you have to be alert with the many bikes. Paris is too big for my tastes, I would want somewhere small and manageable.

Lavandula
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 12:29 PM

My vote would be for Paris although I certainly enjoyed Amsterdam, as well. You can do Paris in small sections and make good use of taxis. Which would she prefer to visit?
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 07:52 PM

Would you try to see ALL of London on a trip there, ABills? The size of a city has nothing to do with the small portion that any of us can appreciate o a visit. Naturally it can be frustrating to only see 2 or 3 things when you know that a city has 15 major sights, but it's better than nothing.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 10:41 PM

Hi Abills,

I'm in the Paris camp. It has beauty, stuff to do, busses for ease of travel, and cafes everywhere, as kerouac notes.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 10:56 PM

I am wondering what happened back in 2017 when you Nan was 88.
Destination ideas for 88 year old
What you did then would have an affect on our recommendations now.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

This is very helpful, thank you for your ideas! I will definitely look into this as onward travel is fine for us, I'd perhaps spend the day in one of the city and travel the next day for the best of both worlds. Do you have a recommendation out of the options you mentioned? Thanks, Aimee
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your response. She is remarkable! I am from London and we have an awful habit of not waiting for pedestrian lights and walking out anywhere in the road - I was fortunate to visit Amsterdam a few years ago and quickly learned you can't do that there! I will definitely look into Paris transport links, that was my main concern due to the size of the city.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response and the info on the new trams! I will look into the Hague and Gent also, as onward travel will be fine for us

Thank you very much you your well wishes
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response and the info on the new trams! I will look into the Hague and Gent also, as onward travel will be fine for us

Thank you very much you your well wishes
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response and the city center recommendation - I'll look there
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 04:07 AM

Paris is only about 25% as big as London.
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 02:07 PM

I have travelled with my 80+ Nan and London was just perfect for us. Both re transport links, taxis, sites etc.
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoo_in_socks
I have travelled with my 80+ Nan and London was just perfect for us. Both re transport links, taxis, sites etc.
The OP and Nan are from there so I don't think they are thinking of visiting London . . .
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 06:43 PM

Bruges Belgium is wonderful. I also really enjoy Alkmaar the Netherlands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -