quick day trip from Heathrow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I have an 11-hour layover in Heathrow in June 2023, (we arrive 8 am and depart 7 pm.) I bought tickets to visit Windsor Castle and arranged for luggage storage at the airport. However, I just received an email informing me that the Castle will no longer be open the day we planned to go. Can anyone suggest another good option, someplace close to the airport that will give us an opportunity to see something charmingly British? Perhaps a quaint town with some nice pubs, shops and fish and chips? I do not want to go into London or attempt to do anything that will give me anxiety about missing our evening flight. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 07:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO central London would actually be the best /most convenient/least complicated option. There are several modes of LHR transport (Elizabeth Line, tube, taxis, pre booked car service, train/bus) so not likely you'd get stranded anywhere. You could arrive near Buckingham Palace/Green Park, or The V&A, or the British Museum, or Hyde Park, or Covent Garden or lots of other places. Then jump on the tube or Elizabeth Line right to your departure terminal. You'd have plenty of time.

But IF you really don't want that, you could take a taxi or bus to Hampton Court Palace.

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much!
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 02:11 PM

Heathrow has superb transportation links and your 11 hours would be enough to visit any sites you'd like - from Tower to London Eye to South Bank to Westminster Abbey. I'd choose something less touristy but if you liked Windsor, then one of the above might fit the bill for you
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Hampton Court Palace is a great place to go as an alternative to Windsor Castle but the route the bus (111) takes is very busy & long winded. It takes around 1.5hrs each way, bit longer in rush hour, so bear that in mind. Better take a taxi which will take a quicker route, although that too can get stuck in traffic. Look to pay around £40-50 each way.
There’s a great pub right opposite Hampton Court Palace main gates called The Mute Swan but there are several others within walking distance & a cute street with restaurants, cafes & antique shops etc.

Or you could still go to Windsor & take a look around the town, have lunch etc.

Last edited by balthy; Dec 11th, 2022 at 03:16 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input! I'm really hoping to take my daughter to a picturesque town rather than London city. I'm researching places like Henley on Thames and Eton where we can stroll, see the river and relax a bit. TBC...
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 04:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
With the Elizabeth line you can now go west from LHR which was never possible before (That's assuming its running on the day and there is no industrial action ) So I might pick Maidenhead which a nice town on the river, or maybe Twyford -- though I can't think of much to fill that much time in Twyford..

Getting to Henley from LHR takes an hour and requires two changes.

From LHR by train or or convenient public transport you are pretty much limited to stops on the Elizabeth Line or central London.
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 05:13 PM

I've never heard of Maidenhead being described as a nice town. It has a dead town centre, full of stores closing down, pretty much a run down town, lots of corporate buildings, nothing of interest to a tourist.

Richmond is much nicer, lovely walk along the river, easy transportation options from Heathrow.
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by balthy
I've never heard of Maidenhead being described as a nice town. It has a dead town centre, full of stores closing down, pretty much a run down town, lots of corporate buildings, nothing of interest to a tourist.
Me neither and we lived there four years! I recommend Marlow instead. Pretty, on the river, nice restaurants, pubs, shopping and cafes. In some ways like Henley, only better IMO.

Train service to Marlow is mehhh, so suggest booking a car service to get you there and back.
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 12:09 AM

Do bear in mind that depending one where you are flying from and to your 11 hours may mean you actually have 7 hours or less away from the airport when deciding on where to go.
Also remember flight times can change so I would not book anything you can't get a refund on until much closer to your trip.
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information!
Old Dec 12th, 2022, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

thank you!
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!