Search

Naples - Hotel Recs + Needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Naples - Hotel Recs + Needed

Hi all!

Early October, 2023, we'll have just ended a tour of Sicily, and intend to fly out of Catania and into Naples, or better yet, take the train from Messina to Naples. Seems like it might be actually faster by train (because most flights from Catania must stop in Rome, so there's a big wait time). Comments on those who have done the train would be welcomed!

The purpose of the trip to Naples before heading home to Los Angeles is two-fold: First, we've never been there, and second, while we were in the area, we want to visit Pompei. We were going to go to Pompei on our last trip to Italy (based in Sorrento), but naturally, there was a train strike the only day we had scheduled to go. Completely bummed, but the good news is more cool parts of Pompei have opened up since then!

Would love to get hotel suggestions from all of you. Price is not as important as feeling safe, so looking for a relatively safe neighborhood. At our age, we'd prefer a hotel with an elevator . . . dragging suitcases up 5 flights is no longer in our present or future! So I guess we've moved up from 3*** to 4*** + accommodations these days. And with general lack of travel the last 2 years, we've built up a pretty decent egg nest, for up to $500/night is fine!

Also, if you have any recommendations on not to be missed in Naples, that would be a plus. We like everything, from art museums, architecture, history, music, to cool bars and restaurants!

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Piazza Bellini in 2014 and I have just read a few TA reviews, it seems to still be good. We got a room with a terrace which was so nice to sit out on; the rooms aren't terrible expensive and a good breakfast is included. We liked the hotel a lot, it has a kind of quirky modern decor.
The hotel is right in the centro storico and an 8 minute walk to the Archeological museum which I highly recommend.
It's a busy neighbourhood with narrow, crowded little streets but we felt safe. Just don't display expensive jewellery or handbags in Naples would be my advice.
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 07:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Hotel Piazza Bellini, where we stayed this September. Central, safe neighbourhood - we walked everywhere, though the Dante metro station is nearby.
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 08:20 PM

Another happy customer of the Hotel Piazza Bellini. My husband and I were sitting in their pleasant courtyard when our daughter called and told us she was engaged. We celebrated with Bellinis.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 09:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed in the lovely and safe Chiaia district near the waterfront. Our hotel was Palazzo Alabardieri which is on a side street, very quiet. Their breakfasts were wonderful too and offered miniature Sfogiatelle every morning.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 08:18 PM

A single traveler that trip, I also enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Piazza Bellini and loved my visit to the National Archeological Museum. More possibilities are detailed in my trip report, Naples begins at post 24, Solo in Italia May 2015: Sorrento, Amalfi, Paestum, Naples, Rome.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all! Majority vote wins, Hotel Piazza Bellini it is!
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have recommended Smart hotel down at the harbour. Completely safe and quite an experience.
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, kleeblatt, I'll take a look at that as well!
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 04:02 PM

I highly recommend seeing Herculaneum. It is very different than Pompeii, with many more nearly complete buildings, even painted exteriors. It is also quite beautiful.

In Naples, do not miss seeing The Veiled Christ!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veiled_Christ

The underground tour in Naples is also interesting.

Did you not get down to Sorrento and the AC on your other trip? If not, then take a ferry or private driver for a tour of the Coast to at least see Positano.
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, thanks, we'll try to do all of that. And yes, last trip we trained to Salerno, and because it was end of June, we were able to take the ferry to Positano. We stayed in Positano for several days, then ferried to Capri, where we stayed another 3 days, ending up several days in Sorrento. The purpose of which was, in part, to do a day trip to Pompeii, which never happened because of the rail strike. We managed to hit up all of the festivals around that time, like the Peter & Paul festival in Rome and the Virgin Mary festival in Montepertuso (so much fun!) high above Positano!
Old Dec 25th, 2022, 08:43 AM

We stayed at the Piazza Bellini in August 2022 and it was perfect. When you land, call the hotel and they will order you a taxi. It was 20 euros. It's smack in the middle of the area where people stay out and have aperitivos. We loved the underground tour (there are two!). as others have noted, the archaeological museum is a five minute walk away, the cathedral 10-15. There's a very fun trattoriia (starts with an R) down the street which seemed very "local" to us.The highlight of our trip, however, was an excursion to Ischia where there are thermal baths; however, not sure it's doable in October. We loved Naples and are going back in April; this time we are staying at the Orsini 46 B&B to try something different.We wanted to try Artemisia Domus but it is booked for our dates.