Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

NFT (Not for Tourists) London: a new book

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This series, with its distinctive black-and-silver covers, offers city guides for a few of the usual European suspects, plus NYC.
This may be a Brit-based company, because their summaries for each London area display up-to-date insiders' knowledge. Their opinionated and somewhat acerbic style, plus their brief neighbourhood listings (landmarks, pubs, groceries, tube stops et al) are all pretty standard fare.

But NFT is ahead by a street with its comprehensive map collection. This London book alone features over 150 excellent neighbourhood maps. You name it, its there, in clear color and accurate depiction. And that above number does not even include similar maps shown here for the interiors of sporting arenas, concert venues and more.

If you love London and you love maps, then this book is for you (*or an excellent Xmas gift).
I am done. the Laaaandon
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

FWIW, turns out that this is a Manhattan-based outfit. Actually, their titles lean more to America than I'd realized.
Fans of the Big Cities in question won't regret the purchase.
I am done. the correction
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 09:03 AM

Thanks, I'll have a look at it. Though things can change quickly and any book may be out of date the minute it is printed.
For the latest on London hotspots www.thenudge.com is good; they charge, but you could take a trial subscription just before your trip.
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Z, I'm checking it out.
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 05:16 AM

"Their opinionated and somewhat acerbic style, plus their brief neighbourhood listings (landmarks, pubs, groceries, tube stops et al) are all pretty standard fare..." That sounds a lot like the Time Out guides. TO did branch out to less standard spots (at least the one for Brussels did); their maps were pretty decent but not exceptional.
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Yo WT, we once met the Paris TO writer at that city's Mosque. He was a young British guy. A more stand-offish, cooler-than-thou individual you'll never meet.

BTW, I've one small bone to pick with NFT's writers. Through their opinionated summaries, they basically ranked some notorious London neighbourhoods for their quotient of 'hipness'. In our experience, such appraisals aren't of much use to experienced travelers.

I am done. The tragically hip