Athens/Rome/Lisbon in 2 weeks?

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens/Rome/Lisbon in 2 weeks?

Need advice on a 2 week trip plan between Dec 20 and Jan 4. Flying into Dublin. Would like to visit Athens (and nearby) in Greece; Rome and possibly Lisbon and back to london or dublin. Family with 2 teenager boys (interested in roman/greek history).
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 03:04 PM

What is the question? Have you searched any of the flights?
It's a lot of moving about to have three flights within a two-week vacation, but only can decide of your family would take well to that.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 03:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For me, too many flights in winter with the potential for weather delays. If you include Lisbon and must end in London or Dublin, it's actually 4 flights in 2 weeks. That's a lot of time "wasted" getting to/from airports, sitting in planes, etc.

Have you plotted this out day-by-day, including travel time? Not much time anywhere.... And, depending on where you are on Dec. 24, 25 and Jan. 1, sightseeing could be limited.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 04:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Too much traveling between locations in such a short time.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 05:15 PM

Are you talking this December?
Have you booked flights already?
Why flying into Dublin or London if you really want to go to Italy and Greece? That is extra flights, extra stops, time wasted.
Why take time and spend money to backtrack to Dublin or stop in London?
Is the entire trip two weeks, (14 days, 15 nights) or is that excluding travel days?
Have the boys researched specific sights they wish to see? Any specific areas of history?
There are so many sights in Italy: you could spend days in just Rome. Naples underground, Pompeii and Herculaneum are very interesting. Ostia Antica, near Rome is another archeological site to explore. Of course, walled cities, etc.

With getting from hotel to train or airport, checking in for flight, actual flight, getting to next hotel, etc., travel days will eat up a lot of time, so be completely realistic when planning and do not count travel days as being anywhere for sightseeing.

I usually like to go directly to the most distant place first and work my way back, so would likely go straight to Greece, then Italy, then last stop in Europe before departing for home. However, with only two weeks, I would definitely not do more than a bit of Greece and a bit of Italy, no other stops.