Please comment early stage of Egypt itinerary

Old Dec 8th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BenBen looks lovely and most reviews are excellent, so I’m sure it’s a good choice. Being so close to Philae is a treat, too.

Trajan’s Kiosk on the island of Philae
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by carrom
Thank-you so much Progol and Ernesto for taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions. I realize now I need to make some changes. Nothing is booked except the Nile cruise on a small dahabiya for 5 nights. So no problem with making alterations. And yes, we board the cruise South of Luxor at Esna so we definitely need to spend more nights in Luxor itself. We will scrap the Red Sea...way too cold. Maybe add Abu Simbel and more days in Cairo and Alexandria. Will do more research on travelling times. I wonder if we could do the whole trip with just hand luggage to avoid those long waits........probably not.
Has the new Grand Museum in Cairo opened yet? And if not is there still anything to see in the old one or is everything being moved?
Thanks again!
Sorry I don't check this very often. There was laundry service at every hotel and most likely your boat, check with the boat, The laundry was very inexpensive. So you could possibly do the trip with just a carry on! If you can stand the haggling, clothes are cheap. There is a really nice all Egyptian clothing store in Giza called Flowers Cotton. No haggling! The new museum was not open, the opening date has been pushed back several times. The National Museum still had a small room with King Tut's mask and 2 carcoficus (sorry spelling!) it is a good stop. The National Museum of Egyptian Civilization has 20+ mummies on display that are really neat and done very well. Don't forget the 9 pyramids lounge at Giza, you will have to have a car to get there - it is worth the extra hassle. Have Fun!!
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you Ernesto, I will definitely check out Flowers Cotton. Our trip is really taking shape now. Thanks to Progol's contribution I am in touch with a very nice guide from Luxor who is now providing guides and transport for Cairo as well. He is very inexpensive but I think that may be because we are dealing directly, no agencies involved. He says he can do ANYTHING so I am now getting all our airport pick ups and transfers through him too. Fingers crossed! I am not worried as we don't ususally use guides at all and we will visit Alexandria on our own. That way we will be able to compare.
Luggage-wise I think we will take a check in bag and a carry on with the vital bits and pieces.
So looking forward to this trip....our first outside Europe since the pandemic. Talking of which, Covid is very much back in the news over here so let's hope everything can go as planned. Inshallah!
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by carrom
Thank-you Ernesto, I will definitely check out Flowers Cotton. Our trip is really taking shape now. Thanks to Progol's contribution I am in touch with a very nice guide from Luxor who is now providing guides and transport for Cairo as well. He is very inexpensive but I think that may be because we are dealing directly, no agencies involved. He says he can do ANYTHING so I am now getting all our airport pick ups and transfers through him too. Fingers crossed! I am not worried as we don't ususally use guides at all and we will visit Alexandria on our own. That way we will be able to compare.
Luggage-wise I think we will take a check in bag and a carry on with the vital bits and pieces.
So looking forward to this trip....our first outside Europe since the pandemic. Talking of which, Covid is very much back in the news over here so let's hope everything can go as planned. Inshallah!
It looks like you are doing your homework! Don't make a special trip to the Flower Cotton store, if your guide knows a spot, or you like haggling I'm sure you can find that sort of stuff (scarves, shirts and clothes) elsewhere, but it is close to the pyramids and no haggling. Don't miss the 9 pyramids lounge at the pyramids!! Please, remember to tip, two euro is 50 egyptian pounds! Don't let anyone put anything in your hand, they say it's free and then want money. Just say no thank you. You will have the trip of a lifetime.