Review our Scotland Itinerary - Apr 2023

Old Feb 6th, 2023, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
janisj Gardyloo and all other resident scotland experts. Need some advice here.

We were feeling sad to end the scotland trip after 17 days . So, got a chance and added one more day !
We are not reshuffling the whole itinerary - this means that we now have 3.5 lazy days in Glasgow.

We want it to be a pretty simple one - thinking of the following : visit 1-2 attractions, Watch a concert/theatre, do a walking tour (wall art / food? ), restaurants/pubs, some shopping., afternoon tea service etc We will probably walk a lot as that's the best way to know a place.
For restaurants/pubs - we have Artisan, The Pot Still, Bon Accord, The Hanoi Bike Shop in our shortlist. Need suggestions on street food

As always, looking forward to getting the best recommendations !

Last edited by RajatMakar; Feb 6th, 2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 08:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I noted that the Scotia bar - quite old and now a music venue - is pretty close to your accommodations and might be worth visiting. Also, I'd recommend the Horse Shoe Bar in the middle of things, and my personal don't-miss restaurant in Glasgow is the Shish Mahal, my vote for best Indian restaurant in Scotland. For the Shish, a day around the University and Kelvingrove park (including art museum) is very worthwhile.

Map showing locations relative to your lodging - https://goo.gl/maps/GXp7pPQWScRkUDyM6
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My favorite restaurant in Glasgow has closed

A must if you are at all interested in Charles Rennie Mackintosh (and even if you aren') is an afternoon tea at the Willow Tea Rooms. https://www.willowtearooms.co.uk/abo...-rooms-glasgow
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 10:18 AM

. . . and yes - the Pot Still is a must. More than once if you're in town that long
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I noted that the Scotia bar - quite old and now a music venue - is pretty close to your accommodations and might be worth visiting. Also, I'd recommend the Horse Shoe Bar in the middle of things, and my personal don't-miss restaurant in Glasgow is the Shish Mahal, my vote for best Indian restaurant in Scotland. For the Shish, a day around the University and Kelvingrove park (including art museum) is very worthwhile.
Map showing locations relative to your lodging - https://goo.gl/maps/GXp7pPQWScRkUDyM6
Lovely suggestions around our stay ! Thank you ! Would love to visit the oldest bar in Glasgow - its fun that they also have performances. I enjoy an odd beer but whisky is my primary. I read that they have a decent collection too - hopefully some Highland or Islay dusties !
In our earlier trips, we tend to get back the craving for Indian food towards the end of our trip. So, will keep Sheesh Mahal in our mind.

Originally Posted by janisj
My favorite restaurant in Glasgow has closed
A must if you are at all interested in Charles Rennie Mackintosh (and even if you aren') is an afternoon tea at the Willow Tea Rooms. https://www.willowtearooms.co.uk/abo...-rooms-glasgow
Yes, willow tea rooms will be a must! Btw, curious to know what was your favourite restaurant in Glasgow

Originally Posted by janisj
. . . and yes - the Pot Still is a must. More than once if you're in town that long
We are planning to go there on our first evening. If it clicks, we will have 3 days for another visit.

I have been reading up on a lot of walking tours. Any recommendations? Some examples below...
https://www.walkingtoursin.com/glasgow
https://www.glasgowfoodndrinktour.co.uk/tours/

Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

janisj Gardyloo and everyone else, I wanted to update this group that all inputs we got were very helpful and we had a flawless vacation at Scotland.

We planned things slow and kept a light itinerary as per advice. We realized how wise that was do it. It helped us to take plenty of breaks, photo stops on the way. We enjoyed the pace of every drive.
Our stays at Edinburgh, Dufftown, Skye, Glencoe, Islay and Glasgow - all were very nice. A good combination of Airbnbs and hotels.
We relished the variety of food once we were back at Glasgow, especially the middle eastern food. Glasgow has fantastic food options compared to the rest.
Our car rental from Celtic Legends proved to be a good decision. It was eventually allocated fromArnold Clark but was cheaper than booking directly, especially as there is no charge for additional drivers. We could pick up early and return late at no extra charge. Most importantly, we got 2 brand new Volvo XC60 which fit all our luggage.

Whisky was a very important dimension for our trip - We had great choice in bars as well as some fantastic distillery tours. The most memorable ones being Bunnahabhain, laphroaig, Ardnahoe and Balvenie.
Now the only thing we know for sure is that we will be back again, probably many more times.

Thank you everyone again ! I will be happy to help anyone else who are planning for a similar tour.
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by RajatMakar
. . . Now the only thing we know for sure is that we will be back again, probably many more times.

Thank you everyone again ! I will be happy to help anyone else who are planning for a similar tour.
Thanks for reporting back. Glad to hear things worked out so well. Now you know why some of us gush so much about Scotland

Not to be presumptuous/cheeky - but a way you can really help others is to post a Trip Report in a new thread -- folks really enjoy reading them . . .
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:25 PM

. . . a TR doesn't need to be really long or really detailed unless you want it to be
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

I know janisj how helpful TRs are. I have read hundreds of them in various forums for this trip. I am not at all savvy at it but let me give it a shot soon.