Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Corner Brook, Sydney, Halifax & Bermuda … help me decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2022, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a cruise next Summer and would appreciate your help. First of all, my wife and I love historical/quaint homes and villages. We equally love nature’s wonderlands. As all cruise ships do, Regent offers a choice of excursions. We have never been to this part of the world. Appreciate your help in making our selection.

Corner Brook
1. Highlights – drive and stop for views
2. Cox’s Cove – fish processing, folkloric demonstrations, photo stops

Sydney
1. Fortress Louisbourg
2. Bell Museum
3. City walking tour
4. Bras d’Or Lake grand tour
5. Highland Village highlights

Halifax
1. Peggy’s Cove Tour
2. Historic walk tour including brewery
3. City tour
4. Historic Halifax and Titanic

Bermuda
1. Walking tour of either place.
2. Southern shores
3. Crystal caves and Tuckers Town
4. Quintessential Bermuda & St. Georges
5. Glass bottom boat
6. Sunset sail
7. Catamaran snorkel trip

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and opinions.
Old Nov 26th, 2022, 08:19 AM

From Corner Brook, I think I'd choose the excursion to Cox's Cove. It is situated on the southern side of Bay of Islands, a very beautiful part of Newfoundland, and should meet your preference for "historical/quaint homes and villages."

You have some good choices in Sydney. I would skip the city walking tour, unless you simply want some exercise, but Fortress Louisbourg is an excellent reconstruction/restoration of a massive French defensive work. The Bras d'Or tour will be very scenic; it truly is one of the most scenic parts of Nova Scotia, even without getting up into the Cape Breton Highlands. I haven't been to either the Bell Museum or the Highland Village, so I can't counsel you on either of those choices.

In Halifax, the Peggy's Cove tour is a must for many cruise passengers. It is a pretty little fishing village on a rugged shoreline, capped by its iconic lighthouse. Again, this one will fall into your preferences, I think. Here's a couple of photos I took while there in September (I live fairly close by.)

It's hard to say what the other excursion options will cover; the brewery tour is probably the Alexander Keith site, which is in a fascinating old building, but the tour itself is ... well, boring, frankly. The historic tour that references the Titanic will probably include a visit to a cemetery where many casualties were buried, if that is you cup of tea.

I can't help with Bermuda.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 06:12 AM

Hi Philip,

I’ve visited Corner Brook and Halifax of the places you mention.

Driving along the Humber Arm of the Bay of Islands offers some gorgeous scenery. I biked (e-bike was essential for me to climb those hills) from Corner Brook and Bartlett’s Point Park was a great stopping point on the way to the coast to take in the natural beauty. In Corner Brook proper, views from Captain Cook Historic Site were breathtaking!

In Halifax, I love the Citadel, the Public Gardens and Point Pleasant Park; Peggy’s Cove retains a picturesque beauty even though it is a popular visitor spot.

Have a great trip

Daniel