Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on Waterproof/Warm gear for January Israel trip

Old Nov 25th, 2022, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm headed back to Israel for the second time in January. This is the cold/rainy season. I'll be all over the country, mountains in the north and desert in the South so I am looking for warm, waterproof gear recommendations. When I went before, it was May, so I was in tennis shoes and shorts, which won't work this time.
Specifically, I'm looking for a pair of waterproof/warm pants, shoes, and a waterproof backpack that it in the 20-25L range. I don't have a lot of money to spend and would like to take advantage of any holiday season deals. Thanks!
Old Dec 13th, 2022, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaelro
I'm headed back to Israel for the second time in January. This is the cold/rainy season. I'll be all over the country, mountains in the north and desert in the South so I am looking for warm, waterproof gear recommendations. When I went before, it was May, so I was in tennis shoes and shorts, which won't work this time.
Specifically, I'm looking for a pair of waterproof/warm pants, shoes, and a waterproof backpack that it in the 20-25L range. I don't have a lot of money to spend and would like to take advantage of any holiday season deals. Thanks!

You most likely already know that the weather will vary greatly throughout the country. I have spent two winters in Israel based in Jerusalem but traveled constantly throughout the country for my work and IMO there is only one rational answer to your question and that is layering. I would suggest a light rain jacket that also acts as a windbreaker and has a hood. I bought mine at COSTCO for $10, the brand is 32 Below. That together with a sweater or two underneath or a light down jacket will do well. You can buy lightweight rain pants to wear over your regular trousers. Mine cost $12 online at the Sierra Trading Post web site - a great resource. Used that get up in Iceland in late May a few years ago. As far as shoes I like a light ankle high leather boot that I water/snow proof with a product called Sno Seal, It works very well when applied correctly. A a pair of gloves and a hat and you will be OK.

Note that old stone buildings can be quite cold inside. The damp, bone chilling type of cold so keep that in mind.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 06:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by basingstoke2
You most likely already know that the weather will vary greatly throughout the country. I have spent two winters in Israel based in Jerusalem but traveled constantly throughout the country for my work and IMO there is only one rational answer to your question and that is layering. I would suggest a light rain jacket that also acts as a windbreaker and has a hood. I bought mine at COSTCO for $10, the brand is 32 Below. That together with a sweater or two underneath or a light down jacket will do well. You can buy lightweight rain pants to wear over your regular trousers. Mine cost $12 online at the Sierra Trading Post web site - a great resource. Used that get up in Iceland in late May a few years ago. As far as shoes I like a light ankle high leather boot that I water/snow proof with a product called Sno Seal, It works very well when applied correctly. A a pair of gloves and a hat and you will be OK.

Note that old stone buildings can be quite cold inside. The damp, bone chilling type of cold so keep that in mind.
We will be in Israel in February/March traveling around the country. Where did you find it the coldest beyond Jerusalem? I've been looking at the weather and for February and as you note its depends upon where you are. We will be in Jerusalem in March so hoping its not quite as cold. Any specifics you can provide will be useful as I try and figure out what to pack. Thanks!

Last edited by yestravel; Dec 15th, 2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 07:19 AM

You will find colder weather at the higher elevations: the mountains in the Galilee, Jerusalem and the mountains in the Negev desert. Warmer temparatures are along the Mediterranean coast, the Dead Sea and Eilat. There is still a stoung chance of rain in February and March. Be prepared for tempertures close to freezing with rain at night in the mountains, 25C (77F) and sunny along the coast - and everything in between ! Bring layers ! Waterproof shoes are a must if you will do a lot of walking & hiking. Bring an umbrella.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mbgg
You will find colder weather at the higher elevations: the mountains in the Galilee, Jerusalem and the mountains in the Negev desert. Warmer temparatures are along the Mediterranean coast, the Dead Sea and Eilat. There is still a stoung chance of rain in February and March. Be prepared for tempertures close to freezing with rain at night in the mountains, 25C (77F) and sunny along the coast - and everything in between ! Bring layers ! Waterproof shoes are a must if you will do a lot of walking & hiking. Bring an umbrella.
Thanks!! Helpful -- lots of layers and rain gear it sounds like.

Old Dec 15th, 2022, 11:12 AM

I agree with mgbb. Occasional snow usually just flurries are possible at higher elevations - it's rarely a concern. Of the major towns frequented by visitors, Safed (various spellings) tends to be coldest on average. BTW if visiting Safed, it is the lower part of the city AKA the Artist's colony that is of the most interest and of course do not miss the old synagogue with its stunning painted carvings. It does not look like much from the outside but go in and be delighted.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 11:22 AM

I agree with mgbb. Occasional snow usually just flurries are possible at higher elevations - it's rarely a concern. Of the major towns frequented by visitors, Safed (various spellings) tends to be coldest on average. BTW if visiting Safed, it is the lower part of the city AKA the Artist's colony that is of the most interest and of course do not miss the old synagogue with its stunning painted carvings. It does not look like much from the outside but go in and be delighted.
Thanks, we will be staying in Safed. We'll be in Eilat, Safed, Haifa, TelAviv & Jerusalem.
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by yestravel
Thanks, we will be staying in Safed. We'll be in Eilat, Safed, Haifa, TelAviv & Jerusalem.
Is this a set tour or are you driving and making your own itinerary?
Old Dec 16th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Is this a set tour or are you driving and making your own itinerary?
We are on our own -- suggestions?
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:32 AM

Most Israelis don't own proper waterproofs because it's not really needed here. Rainy days are rare and when it does rain it's usually pretty heavy rain so we just stay inside. I wouldn't spend money on waterproofs.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by omryv
Most Israelis don't own proper waterproofs because it's not really needed here. Rainy days are rare and when it does rain it's usually pretty heavy rain so we just stay inside. I wouldn't spend money on waterproofs.
Thank you-- do you live in Israel? Any comments on the weather in February?
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:46 AM

Thank you-- do you live in Israel? Any comments on the weather in February? Oops sorry for the duplicate post.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 08:47 AM

I live in Jerusalem. It can get very cold at nights but In Feb/March it starts getting warmer especially during the days. Some days in March are actually pretty warm. Where do you live?
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 09:49 AM

I live in Jerusalem. It can get very cold at nights but In Feb/March it starts getting warmer especially during the days. Some days in March are actually pretty warm. Where do you live?
Thank you! I live in Washington, DC USA.
Old Dec 17th, 2022, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by yestravel
Thank you! I live in Washington, DC USA.
DC in the winter is much colder than Israel so whatever warm clothes you have I'm pretty sure they're good enough.
Old Dec 18th, 2022, 08:09 PM

DC in the winter is much colder than Israel so whatever warm clothes you have I'm pretty sure they're good enough.
You are writing from the perspective of a resident, the OP from that of a tourist. That is very different, the OP does not have the luxury to stay home as you suggested above, As a tourist, a light waterproof windbreaker will be welcome if needed. If not needed, no bother since the windbreaker that I described above weighs nearly nothing and folds to fit into its own pocket. When traveling in a place where weather is variable, layering is the way to go with everything to gain and nothing to lose.