Corsica to Sardinia - ferry, rental car

Old Nov 24th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corsica to Sardinia - ferry, rental car

I am planning our trip (23 days) to Corsica and Sardinia in June and keep hitting snags. We are flying into Bastia, Corsica (from Orly) then working our way south along the eastern coast. My research indicates renting a car and taking it on the ferry to Sardinia is not possible so the plan is to drop it at the Figari airport. It doesn't seem as if there are any good flights from Corsica to Sardinia as they all go back to a mainland location so take a ridiculous amount of time. That said, it seems the best thing to do is take the ferry and rent a car in Sardinia but the closest rental car company is in La Maddalena. It seems strange that there wouldn't be something in Santa Teresa Gallura since it is such a main ferry hub. At this point, I guess the only option is to take a taxi to La Maddalena to get a car. Am I missing something? The plan then is to drive around northern Sardinia and either fly to Rome via Alghero or drive south and fly out of Cagliari. ITA only shows flights out about 4 months so it is rather hard to know just what the connections will be. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Also any must sees in Sardinia other than Costa Smeralda and La Maddalena? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed on Sardinia and did a day trip by ferry to Corsica - to Bonifacio which was amazing. The hotel we stayed at in Santa Teresa Gallura was walking distance to the port so that was easy, we just had to remember to take our passports! As far as I know, La Maddalena is an island group so getting a hire car there doesn't seem to make sense. I googled car hire in Santa Teresa and found Tibula Rent, Freemobility rental service and Autonoleggio Global, I don't know anything about them but you could do some research. We hired a car at Olbia airport and visited the north of Sardinia, dropping the car back at Alghero airport (making way for the herd of goats being shepherded down the road). Capo Testa was good to explore, we spent a couple of hours rock hopping and enjoying the seaviews.

When we lived in the UK and travelled a lot in the region, I found the budget airlines had a different timetable in the summer months so you might find flights that suit you but they won't be available or visible on timetables right now. Hopefully others will have better info.
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 12:47 AM

You are able to take a rental car on the ferry from Corsica to Sardinia. You would need to bring it back to Corsica though. One way drop off fees between countries can be expensive, but worth asking.

https://www.location-voiture-corse.c...-la-sardaigne/

If one rental company allows it, I’m sure you’ll find others. I’ve taken my rental overseas on ferries many times, although not between these countries. You’ll likely need to pay additional insurance plus other charges as required by the other country.
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 07:52 AM

May be you wait until January when Corsica ferries will pubish the timetables of their Portovecchio - Porto Torres ferries.
The itinerary from Bastia via Corte - Ajaccio - Filitosa - Propriano to Bonifacio is much more scenic and much more interesting than the boaring road a few kms west of the Eastern coast.
There are 5 daily buses from Sta Teresa via Castelsardo to Sassari and at least 5 daily buses from Sta Teresa via Palau to Olbia.
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the names of rental companies. I will check them out. I don't know what you Googled that I didn't because I couldn't find any agencies. Again, thank you.
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

We have rented cars all over Europe and often dropped the car at a different location and just paid a drop charge. I couldn't find any that would allow me to leave the car in Sardinia and we are flying home out of Rome so taking it back to Corsica doesn't work. I will keep looking. Another responder gave me names of some rental car companies in Sardinia so I will check them out. Thanks for your response!!!
Old Nov 25th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info. We were planning on driving down the west coast of Corsica as I have read the same thing, that there wasn't as much to see on the other side.
Old Nov 27th, 2022, 06:06 AM

You may also fly from Paris to Olbia, rent a car there and do a loop may be like this:
Olbia - Costa Smeralda - Palau - Sta Margherita - ferry -Bonifacio - Propriano - Filitosa - Ajaccio - Aleria - Portovecchio - ferry - Porto Torres - Sassari - Alghero - Musellos/Domus de Jana/Torralba - Nuoro - Cala Gonone - Siniscola - Olbia.