Two days in Cologne

Search

Two days in Cologne

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two days in Cologne

We are on our way to Paris (my choice) and Cologne (hubby's choice). We have been to Paris many times, and my husband even lived and worked there for a couple of years, so we are quite familiar with it. We have only been to Cologne twice on day trips from our river cruises. Our impression is that it is not a very pretty city, but relatively compact. We think that the little Christmas markets will be a nice start to the holidays.

Can you recommend places to eat and see? We are not very interested in museums. We thought perhaps hiring a guide and driver for a day tour might be an efficient way to see the city in the short time we are there. Any idea how we might book and English-speaking guide?
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 07:37 PM

Hi Burta, I have recently been asking for Cologne tips (click on my screen name for the recent thread) for a stopover on the way to Brussels, a trip I am taking with my teen daughter. I have been to Cologne before too, but not recently - like 20 years ago - but I know that there is a special culture around brewpubs in Cologne. I can't recommend anywhere myself, but the local beer style is called Kölsch, and the specially trained waiter is a "Köbes". They come to your table and automatically start pouring, and I think you have to opt out with your beer coaster on top of your glass if you want to stop. They also mark on your coaster how many beers you've had (they do this everywhere in Germany), so don't be one of those people who shreds coasters . I won't be going to a brewpub myself on this occasion but I hope you can use this information, this trip is about my daughter's interests (def not beer).

Also Christmas markets - there are at least 7 markets in Cologne, this is actually a pretty good time for visiting the city. It's not, as you observe, pretty, but in exchange it has good shopping!

Lavandula
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, lavandula. In Hawaii we say "Mahalo". I'm not an alcohol drinker myself, but am good company and can help my husband find his way back to the hotel!
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 10:48 PM

I think even if you don't drink you will find the atmosphere convivial, not alcohol-sodden. I did once see a video clip about the brewpubs, will do some searching for you.

Lavandula
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 10:54 PM

Here, I think this is it:

It's by Deutsche Welle. I have been doing some looking around for our own trip. We only have a day in Cologne but will do a perfume museum and maybe one other sight, as well as the cathedral.

Have a good time!

Lavandula
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
Here, I think this is it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqf9jZUSZcU

It's by Deutsche Welle. I have been doing some looking around for our own trip. We only have a day in Cologne but will do a perfume museum and maybe one other sight, as well as the cathedral.

Have a good time!

Lavandula
I see there is a Segway tour. This might be interesting. Did one in Bordeaux and enjoyed it. It may not be as enjoyable In the November cold though.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:15 AM

Yes, I did not entertain the thought (our trip is January), but it would be a lot of fun otherwise!

Lavandula
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 05:13 PM

If you want an amazing view you can climb 533 steps at the Cologne Cathedral up to the observation platform. I've done several cathedral climbs, am afraid of heights and the metal stair part was dicey but worth it. This was spectacular.